Introduction

  • GHCS Software
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 19, 2006
      Genealogy Software Development
      I just wanted to introduce myself on the list. I am the developer of the "GedStar" (formerly "GedPalm") series of software products that allow you to view your genealogy data on a handheld PDA or Smartphone that uses the "PalmOS" operating system -- basically everything from your old trusty "Palm Pilot" to the latest Treo phone. So my interest in genealogy software is obvious. :-)

      For my own genealogy work, I use The Master Genealogist, and in fact I have some development ties with them since I use some of their software within my GedStar products. My development work has slowed along with PDA sales in general, plus the fact that PalmOS is losing market share to the Windows-based handhelds and phones, and faces an uncertain future. But you never know when I might turn my development efforts in another direction...

        Doug Gordon
        GHCS Software
        http://www.ghcssoftware.com
        mailto: ghcs@...

    • Dick Davis
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 19, 2006
        Doug are you interested in something new? I have an idea, in fact, I have sampled to see if this is something that could work for others, but I am not a programmer or software developer - I am willingto dicuss with you in detail and see if there is some interest.

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 19, 2006
          And it's a mighty fine program too Doug <rbg> It's been so handy to have my
          data right there at my finger tips. I use Legacy and can import that into
          GedStar directly also.

          I was stunned to hear that the Palm Treo 700 actually has the Windows OS!
          I'm seriously considering getting a Treo 650 so I can continue to use
          GedStar. I have a lot of Palm programs on my M515 and really don't want to
          purchase a whole set of new programs for a Windows device.

          Sherry