Re: An event database

    Message 1 of 25 , Nov 18, 2006
      --- In gensoft@yahoogroups.com, "Ray Murphy" <raymur@...> wrote:

      > --- In gensoft@yahoogroups.com, Bob Melson <melsonr@> wrote:
      >
      > ><snip>
      > >>The broadest genie software "church" I can think of is PhpGedView.
      > >>This is open source, and contributors add modules that extend
      > >>software functionality. Its use is server based, which is quite an
      > >>advantage for collaboration.
      >
      > >>Paul
      > >>Australia
      >
      > >While I agree that phpGedView is sufficiently flexible to allow for
      > >the programming of most, if not all, of the suggested features, it
      > >also currently suffers the limitations of a purposely simple
      > >database structure. This is not a disqualifier, certainly, but it
      > >would require refinement of that structure, and the php "code", to
      > >achieve the fine-grainedness required.
      >
      > >If I might make a suggestion, I'd like to see a layout, even in
      > >rough form, of the various DB tables/files envisioned - that'd go a
      > >long way toward establishing the amount of effort involved, IMO.
      >
      > > Bob Melson
      > > Texas
      >
      > RM: It's a bit hard to bring it all together until we see what sort
      > of events are worth recording. Obviously there are too many to ever
      > become standard gedcom categories, so the way to go would be to use
      > the existing Events system but with ONE extra category - "User
      > Event". That would allow users to enter any type of event, and that
      > could also include such things as illnesses and causes of death or
      > notable characteristics that exist in families.
      >
      > I suppose that programs that didn't use "extra events" could bypass
      > gedcom lines that had a special prefix for them. That may be possible
      > now for all I know.
      >
      > It seems to me that the first step should be to get "extra events"
      > into lots of programs.
      >
      > Ray

      Well, you can do that now in Legacy 6, maybe others. It has an events
      arrangement (View|Master Lists|Event Definition) which works in a way
      that allows people to be attached to events. They can be
      included/excluded in reports. A start? :-)

      I think that if you are looking for the reverse (events attached to
      people) you would run into serious opposition from the commercial
      companies who like things the way they are....

      Paul
      Australia
    • Ray Murphy
      Message 2 of 25 , Nov 18, 2006
        --- In gensoft@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Blair" <pblair30@...> wrote:

        > --- In gensoft@yahoogroups.com, "Ray Murphy" <raymur@> wrote:
        > >
        > > --- In gensoft@yahoogroups.com, Bob Melson <melsonr@> wrote:
        > >
        > > ><snip>
        PhpGedView.

        > > >While I agree that phpGedView is sufficiently flexible to allow
        for
        > > >the programming of most, if not all, of the suggested features,
        it
        > > >also currently suffers the limitations of a purposely simple
        > > >database structure. This is not a disqualifier, certainly, but
        it
        > > >would require refinement of that structure, and the php "code",
        > > >achieve the fine-grainedness required.
        > >
        > > >If I might make a suggestion, I'd like to see a layout, even in
        > > >rough form, of the various DB tables/files envisioned - that'd
        go a
        > > >long way toward establishing the amount of effort involved, IMO.
        > >
        > > > Bob Melson
        > > > Texas
        > >
        > > RM: It's a bit hard to bring it all together until we see what
        sort
        > > of events are worth recording. Obviously there are too many to
        ever
        > > become standard gedcom categories, so the way to go would be to
        use
        > > the existing Events system but with ONE extra category - "User
        > > Event". That would allow users to enter any type of event, and
        that
        > > could also include such things as illnesses and causes of death
        or
        > > notable characteristics that exist in families.
        > >
        > > I suppose that programs that didn't use "extra events" could
        bypass
        > > gedcom lines that had a special prefix for them. That may be
        possible
        > > now for all I know.
        > >
        > > It seems to me that the first step should be to get "extra
        events"
        > > into lots of programs.
        > >
        > > Ray
        > >

        >Well, you can do that now in Legacy 6, maybe others. It has an events
        >arrangement (View|Master Lists|Event Definition) which works in a way
        >that allows people to be attached to events. They can be
        >included/excluded in reports. A start? :-)

        RM: Yes, I'll get a copy of Legacy soon.

        >I think that if you are looking for the reverse (events attached to
        >people) you would run into serious opposition from the commercial
        >companies who like things the way they are....

        RM: When it comes to generating csv files of people paired-up with
        particular events, there's no need to wait for a change in the
        industry that may never come. All we need is an intermediate program
        which imports gedcoms and reassembles a few things including
        converting useable dates into a separate column which uses the Date
        format.

        I started doing that a few days ago with MS Access without any
        problems, but I can't figure out how to move spouses and their birth
        dates over to the Events table because they are only reference
        numbers. When that's done, all gedcoms can be used to extract "event"
        information that might be useful for various types of research.

        The tricky part might be finding a way to move ancestors and
        descendants over to the "events" table.

        The final output that I'm getting (suitable for infinite filtering in
        a separate program) is a csv file which uses an "apostrophe s" after
        a person's name and their event.

        (abbreviated to fit on 1 line here)
        "Hall,Ben",1942,12,12,13:20,"GMT",-0, "Lon,Eng",51N00,00W10
        "Hall,Ben's Marriage",1963,11,10,12:00,"BST",-1,"Lon,Eng",51N00,00W10
        "Hall,Ben",1942,12,12,13:20,"GMT",-0, "Lon,Eng",51N00,00W10
        "Hall,Ben's Wife Jill",1944,09,09,12:00,"BST",-1,"Lon,Eng",51N00,00W10

        > Paul
        > Australia

        Ray (also Australia)
      • Ray Murphy
        Message 3 of 25 , Nov 23, 2006
          --- In gensoft@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Blair" <pblair30@...> wrote:

          > --- In gensoft@yahoogroups.com, "Ray Murphy" <raymur@> wrote:

          [.....]

          [Online database PhpGedView]

          >The broadest genie software "church" I can think of is PhpGedView.
          >This is open source, and contributors add modules that extend
          >software functionality. Its use is server based, which is quite an
          >advantage for collaboration.

          >Paul
          >Australia

          RM: The online genealogy project looks fascinating, and thousands will
          no doubt join up, but I'm not one of them because I cannot find the
          download button - after running around in circles about 10 times :-(

          Ray
        • Bob Melson
          Message 4 of 25 , Nov 24, 2006
            > --- In gensoft@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Blair" <pblair30@...> wrote:
            >
            > > --- In gensoft@yahoogroups.com, "Ray Murphy" <raymur@> wrote:
            > >
            > [.....]
            >
            > [Online database PhpGedView]
            >
            > >The broadest genie software "church" I can think of is PhpGedView.
            > >This is open source, and contributors add modules that extend
            > >software functionality. Its use is server based, which is quite an
            > >advantage for collaboration.
            >
            > >Paul
            > >Australia
            >
            > RM: The online genealogy project looks fascinating, and thousands will
            > no doubt join up, but I'm not one of them because I cannot find the
            > download button - after running around in circles about 10 times :-(
            >
            > Ray

            Ray,

            Try: http://phpgedview.sourceforge.net

            About half way down the left margin is a link to "Download", which will
            take you to another page where there are instructions on how to download
            phpGedView from the sourceforge site. If that is not successful, I'll
            happily send a zipped copy of the latest version to your email address - but
            don't want to do that unless you agree.

            Regards,
            Bob Melson

            -----
            "People unfit for freedom---who cannot do much with it---are
            hungry for power." ---Eric Hoffer