303PAF to be retired

    Jun 25, 2013
      Beginning July 15, 2013, PAF will be retired and will no longer be available
      for download or support. For full details and for information on alternative
      products, please visit http://familysearch.org/PAF.

      Frequently asked questions

      From PAF users

      What does it mean that PAF is no longer supported?

      FamilySearch will not assist users with features of PAF. FamilySearch
      will provide limited support for moving PAF data to a compatible third-party
      app.

      Can I continue using PAF?

      Yes. PAF will continue to work on all versions of Windows as of 2013,
      including Windows 8. Just be aware that it will no longer be supported or
      improved. We strongly recommend choosing an alternative product (see above).

      Can I put my PAF data online in FamilySearch Family Tree?

      Since PAF does not integrate with FamilySearch Family Tree directly, you
      will need to use an alternative product, as suggested here. These products
      will be able to import your PAF data directly, enabling you to connect to
      FamilySearch and copy your data to and from the web as desired.

      Which third-party app should I use?

      The answer to this is completely subject to your preference. Therefore,
      we suggest you check out each of the apps and compare for yourself. We have
      provided a simple set of links to information and downloads about the
      products with our recommended partners (see above).

      Does FamilySearch endorse the use of third-party apps?

      Yes. The Family History Department has made significant investments in
      conjunction with our partners in order to offer great solutions for everyone.
      Using third-party products in conjunction with FamilySearch online services
      is something we encourage and fully endorse.

      Will Family Insight continue to work?

      Yes. Just bear in mind that PAF itself is no longer supported. Please
      contact Ohana Software for more information and support.

      Will Charting Companion for PAF (previously known as PAF Companion)
      continue to work?

      Yes. Just bear in mind that PAF itself is no longer supported. Please
      contact Progeny Genealogy for more information and support.

      Will FamilySearch make the source code of PAF available to software
      developers?

      At this time, there are no plans to release the source code as open
      source or in any other structure. Continuing development of PAF, even outside
      of FamilySearch, would still put FamilySearch in a position to support it (by
      perception, if not obligation). Our support staff is targeted toward other
      goals and priorities after JULY 15, 2013.

      Blog: http://khanya.wordpress.com