295Re: New Member - Self Intro

  • johnecarter
    May 6, 2013
      Legacy Family Tree (or one of its add-ons) does this. Sorry I can't give better info - it's been a while since I was actively working on the family.

      The free version of Legacy can display most of the info created by the deluxe version. The free version tracks the deluxe version and the current version is backwards compatible to data from previous versions.

      --- In gensoft@yahoogroups.com, "annainva" <asargent@...> wrote:
      > Hi everyone. Having been on ancestry.com for several years as well as a member of various other sites, my son and I have finally come up with a very nice family tree back to 1440, both in Germany and in later years the US.
      > I have looked high and low for a way to leave this hard work with hundreds of photos and notes to our descendants. Family Tree Maker and/or Ancestry.com seem to only offer printing pages and leaving these to generations to come. I had hoped that we could find a way to leave the information on disk so that we could readily go in to either expand some area or change some information as it became available. But unless my grandchildren also purchase Family Tree Maker, etc. there seems to be no way to save our hard work on CD format. I have downloaded a couple of sharewares such as Ancestral Author, but that only imports the .ged info and not even that much since it doesn't read Umlaute from the German language, despite changing to ANSI format as suggested.
      > Anyway, if someone has been able to save entries with photos and notes to an editable means without having to purchase the related software to share with others and to maintain year after year, I certainly would appreciate hearing from you.
      > Thanks so much, and hope everyone has as much fun as we have finding our loved ones from many centuries ago.
      > Anna
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic