281Re: Shared genealogies and crowd sourcing

  • johnecarter
    Dec 5, 2012
      In ten+ years of tracing a couple of family lines, the most success I've had in getting other people to contribute to a family tree is with a printed multi-generation chart with pictures - posted on a wall at the site where the yearly reunion is held. Those who don't find family member pictures on the chart almost always contribute at least pictures - and while you have their attention you can ask for other info.

      This can lead to big charts - one year I had access to a roll-fed plotter and the chart was 3 feet high and 20+ feet long but almost everyone wanted to themselves and their immediate family. There were even a few who looked at multiple generations.

      I've had almost zero success with anything promised for 'later' - maybe 1 person in 100 actually follows through.

      John
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic