251Re: Event-based software redux.

  • Tom
    Sep 5, 2011
      Is it worth pointing out that calling a genealogical program "events-based"
      means only that the program treats events as records that can refer to
      many people records or vice versa? It doesn't imply that events have somehow
      taken primacy over person records. Events are simply elevated to a position
      where they have first class status along with persons as an important record
      type that the software supports.

      There are two ways that current programs handle events in the multi-role
      context. Some programs (Gramps is an example) assign each event to a single
      person, but allow that event to refer to other persons. This isn't really
      elevating the event to first class status, as each event must ultimately "belong"
      to a person, but it does give the advantages (no duplication of info) of an
      independent event. And then there are two programs (don't remember which
      they are off the top of my head) that support true multi-role events. But, of
      course, these two programs still support persons as the ultimate and primary
      data record type of interest.

      Tom Wetmore, Chief Bottle Washer, DeadEnds Software

      (Scrivener is note-taking software.)

      > On 26 May 2011 at 6:58, Sherry wrote:
      >
      > > What about The Master Genealogist (TMG)? Of course, it hasn't been updated in
      > > years. No one's quite sure what's going on with it. It has been much loved by
      > > those who want an event-based program although it's got quite a learning curve
      > > and newbies generally leave it for something that's not so difficult to use.
      > >
      > > There must not be enough of a demand for event-based software.
      >
      > Probably not much of a demand, no.
      >
      > Most of the people working on genealogy software seem to be trying to write
      > yet another lineage-linked program, or else produce a replacement for GEDCOM.
      >
      > I've never managed to get TMG to work, but I've finally managed to install
      > Gramps, which seems similar.
      >
      > Gramps can produce a list of events, which can be listed in chronological
      > order, but it doesn't seem to be possible to link them with people or places -
      > - or rather, they seem to be linked too closely to people, so that they are
      > repeated for every person in the database, thus being redundant.
      >
      > For example, take the baptism of A, child of B and C, sponsors D, E, and F,
      > and the person who performed the ceremony G.
      >
      > If you list it as an event linked to those seven people, the same event will
      > be repeated seven times in the database.
      >
      > That means the program is "person based" rather than event-based.
      >
      > In a proper event-based program you would enter the event ONCE, and then
      > link people to it.
      >
      > But I admit that i haven't played enough with Gramps yet.
      >
      > Someon mentioned a program called Scrivener -- does anyone know anything
      > about it?
      >

      > --
      > Steve Hayes
      > E-mail: shayes@...