111Re: An event database

    Nov 18, 2006
      --- In gensoft@yahoogroups.com, "Ray Murphy" <raymur@...> wrote:

      > --- In gensoft@yahoogroups.com, Bob Melson <melsonr@> wrote:
      >
      > ><snip>
      > >>The broadest genie software "church" I can think of is PhpGedView.
      > >>This is open source, and contributors add modules that extend
      > >>software functionality. Its use is server based, which is quite an
      > >>advantage for collaboration.
      >
      > >>Paul
      > >>Australia
      >
      > >While I agree that phpGedView is sufficiently flexible to allow for
      > >the programming of most, if not all, of the suggested features, it
      > >also currently suffers the limitations of a purposely simple
      > >database structure. This is not a disqualifier, certainly, but it
      > >would require refinement of that structure, and the php "code", to
      > >achieve the fine-grainedness required.
      >
      > >If I might make a suggestion, I'd like to see a layout, even in
      > >rough form, of the various DB tables/files envisioned - that'd go a
      > >long way toward establishing the amount of effort involved, IMO.
      >
      > > Bob Melson
      > > Texas
      >
      > RM: It's a bit hard to bring it all together until we see what sort
      > of events are worth recording. Obviously there are too many to ever
      > become standard gedcom categories, so the way to go would be to use
      > the existing Events system but with ONE extra category - "User
      > Event". That would allow users to enter any type of event, and that
      > could also include such things as illnesses and causes of death or
      > notable characteristics that exist in families.
      >
      > I suppose that programs that didn't use "extra events" could bypass
      > gedcom lines that had a special prefix for them. That may be possible
      > now for all I know.
      >
      > It seems to me that the first step should be to get "extra events"
      > into lots of programs.
      >
      > Ray

      Well, you can do that now in Legacy 6, maybe others. It has an events
      arrangement (View|Master Lists|Event Definition) which works in a way
      that allows people to be attached to events. They can be
      included/excluded in reports. A start? :-)

      I think that if you are looking for the reverse (events attached to
      people) you would run into serious opposition from the commercial
      companies who like things the way they are....

      Paul
      Australia
    • Show all 25 messages in this topic