Digital Camera to copy pictures.

  • Karlena
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 13, 2001
      I am planning on purchasing a Digital Camera and I would like some
      suggestions as to what I would need as a minimum requirement to meet my
      needs.
      I require a camera that will let me photograph other photos. (For family
      history purposes. I have several relatives with photos who will not let me
      remove them to scan them.) I would also want to use to camera to do ordinary
      photos. An easy way to connect the camera to my computer and reasonable
      storage of photos on the camera or on disc (Smart Card)
      I have looked at several in different shops but each place gives me
      different information as to what I want and the prices range from $600 to
      $2000 for the minimum price I would need to spend to meet my requirements.
      Thus I am getting very confused.
      Can anyone give me a simple list of what the camera would need to have to
      let me do what I want to do without wasting money on whizzbang gizmos that I
      can't afford and don't need.
      Any help much appreciated.
      Bye Karlena
      From Tasmania, Australia
      karlena@...
      ICQ 21158816
      Volunteer of Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness at
      http://raogk.rootsweb.com
    • George Painter
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 13, 2001
        Karlena, I have been researching digital cameras for over a year to do just
        what you want to do. I used my son's Kodak 4800 which worked well, but I
        wanted on that would also do close up work as well. I tried the Nikon 990
        CoolPix after reading the high rating it received in a number of
        publications and one of the internet web sites that evaluates cameras. My
        problem with it was poor battery life. (I tend to be a
        perfectionist!) Well, I just waited as I know Nikon would probably upgrade
        the 990 before too long.

        Well to make a long story short, the new Nikon 995 just fits the bill!! It
        is everything and more that I wanted. It takes close ups to a little over
        2 cm and has both 4x optical and 4x digital zoom. Battery life is about
        the best in the digital camera line and the purchase includes a very fast
        battery charger.

        My first pictures were terrific. I just returned from visiting a relative
        and took many pictures of framed and wall hanging pictures we could only
        copy with a camera. They have turned out excellent. I can even send one
        as an attachment if you want proof. Be warned that the file is very big
        though. One slightly irritating thing with digital cameras it that they
        tend to shut down to save battery life just when you have composed your
        picture and almost ready to snap the "shutter." The only accessory you may
        need is an AC adapter if you are doing a lot of copying indoors.

        The only warning is that in auto mode it works extremely well and you don't
        have to learn much, but if you want to get more sophisticated, the manual
        modes are very complex. If you have a better memory that I do, then it
        won't be a problem. I am finding that the auto mode is all I really need
        to use. I think that once I get more familiar with it I will probably
        venture into the manual modes more.

        The camera also works wonders in copying very small daguerritypes
        (sp?). The camera fits on a very small table top tripod and the swivel
        half with the lens rotates to any position to make a first class copy at
        very high resolutions.

        Yes, it is relatively expensive, but it is an investment that will last for
        years. My last expensive camera was a Leica bought in the mid 1960's and
        it still works great so I chose my purchases well.

        Good luck and if you have further questions I will try to answer them.

        George in the US of A!!
        At 06:46 PM 8/13/01 +1000, you wrote:
        >I am planning on purchasing a Digital Camera and I would like some
        >suggestions as to what I would need as a minimum requirement to meet my
        >needs.
        >I require a camera that will let me photograph other photos. (For family
        >history purposes. I have several relatives with photos who will not let me
        >remove them to scan them.) I would also want to use to camera to do ordinary
        >photos. An easy way to connect the camera to my computer and reasonable
        >storage of photos on the camera or on disc (Smart Card)
        >I have looked at several in different shops but each place gives me
        >different information as to what I want and the prices range from $600 to
        >$2000 for the minimum price I would need to spend to meet my requirements.
        >Thus I am getting very confused.
        >Can anyone give me a simple list of what the camera would need to have to
        >let me do what I want to do without wasting money on whizzbang gizmos that I
        >can't afford and don't need.
        >Any help much appreciated.
        >Bye Karlena
        > From Tasmania, Australia
        >karlena@...
        >ICQ 21158816
        >Volunteer of Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness at
        >http://raogk.rootsweb.com
      • E.Rodier
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 13, 2001
          Karlena,
          I use a Sony Cybershot with zoom lens, additional 64 mb and 32 mb memory
          sticks (128 mb on order) that is small enough to fit in a purse. Haven't
          learned all the settings on it for close focus etc. A single newspaper
          column about 1.5 inches wide saved at 1600x1200 looks nice displayed on a
          big television but some items have reflections. Easier to work with a
          viewing screen than a viewfinder, except outdoors on a bright day. Use a
          jacket or sunhat for shade over the camera and your head.

          It is very difficult to photograph a picture because of lighting problems
          compared to scanning with a flatbed. You will need to plan for a tripod or
          other rest for the camera. Try attaching single pictures to a fridge or
          filing cabinet with magnets or use a stiff cardboard.

          Many of my early pictures were collected with a video camera on a copy stand
          but that system didn't work for source documents with a lot of detail.
          Document scans were collected with a page scanner before the flatbed prices
          came down in the fall of 1996.

          Experiment with similar items at home to learn the digital camera before
          visiting relatives with picture collections. Over the years "easy" cameras
          have taken a lot more pictures in our family than the ones with too many
          settings, gadgets or heavy weight. Now I have a large collection of half
          frame slides to be scanned from 1967-1972 or later.
          Elizabeth in Canada

        • DVGagel@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 13, 2001
            I have a Sony Mavica which is very simple to use and does great Macro work
            for copying family photographs, etc. It uses a floppy for storage which can
            be easily transferred to computer or on to CD and is reuseable. I transfer
            photos to CD then re format floppy to reuse. Do not have to buy printers,
            etc that need smart cards. All computers have floppy drives.
            Diane
          • IowaGob@juno.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 13, 2001
              I am using an Olympus 3030 for just that purpose.
              It works very well except I can't always tell by
              looking at the little monitor on the back of the
              camera that the focus is bad. Now I take several
              shots of each photo and discard all but one.

              Jerry Hale

              On Mon, 13 Aug 2001 18:46:10 +1000 "Karlena" <karlena@...>
              writes:

              > I require a camera that will let me photograph other photos. (For
              > family history purposes.

              GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
              http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.