"Scanning" Old Negs, with a Digi Cam

  • Adam Bancroft
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 12 8:48 PM
      Hi Folks,

      I have a bunch of old negitatives of family circa 1900 in 4x5
      format. While I have a scanner that does 35mm negitatives and
      slides, I dont have one that does larger formats. While I have the
      equipment to just make a paper copy of these, I don't have the
      facilities (dark room) to make the photo for scanning. I need these
      photos for a Family History book that I am compiling.

      I have tried using other digitial cameras I have owned to "scan" the
      negitatives with poor results but not the Oly 3000 untill yesterday.
      I think the method will work for my project.

      What I did was to make a blank white background on my computer for a
      light source. I taped the neg on the screen with a homemade light
      diffusion background(CD Rom Jewel Case Cover scrubed with a green
      scrubber and Ajax) and shot the photo with the Oly. Then I just did
      what I need to do to make it a "photo" from
      the negitative with software.

      I would like the groups thoughts on this and any advice anyone one
      could share to improve the quality of the photos given the resources
      I have at hand.

      The photo, resampled for presentation is at:

      The youngest in the photo is my Grandmother. To date the photo, she
      was born in March 1900.

      Adam
    • Bill D. Russell
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 12 9:19 PM
        Since you can make a negative out of a positive with your scanner & or adobe
        program, have you tried scanning the negatives and then use the same
        procedure and they should come out as a positive.
        > I have a bunch of old negitatives of family circa 1900 in 4x5
        > format. While I have a scanner that does 35mm negitatives and
        > slides, I dont have one that does larger formats. While I have the
        > equipment to just make a paper copy of these, I don't have the
        > facilities (dark room) to make the photo for scanning. I need these
        > photos for a Family History book that I am compiling.
        >
        > I have tried using other digitial cameras I have owned to "scan" the
        > negitatives with poor results but not the Oly 3000 untill yesterday.
        > I think the method will work for my project.
        >
        > What I did was to make a blank white background on my computer for a
        > light source. I taped the neg on the screen with a homemade light
        > diffusion background(CD Rom Jewel Case Cover scrubed with a green
        > scrubber and Ajax) and shot the photo with the Oly. Then I just did
        > what I need to do to make it a "photo" from
        > the negitative with software.
        >
        > I would like the groups thoughts on this and any advice anyone one
        > could share to improve the quality of the photos given the resources
        > I have at hand.
        >
        > The photo, resampled for presentation is at:

        > The youngest in the photo is my Grandmother. To date the photo, she
        > was born in March 1900.
        >
        > Adam

        > (please contact editor@...)
        > City Gallery: http://www.city-gallery.com/

      • E.Rodier
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 12 9:45 PM
          Traditional camera stores sell small light boxes but your picture looks very
          good as-is. Thanks for posting the link.

          I remember using a VHS-C video camera to do the original set of slide
          "scans" in December 1995. Filled up the hard drive with too many large files
          but eventually assembled an edited video of the slides to go with prepared
          sound.
          Elizabeth

          > What I did was to make a blank white background on my computer for a
          > light source. I taped the neg on the screen with a homemade light
          > diffusion background(CD Rom Jewel Case Cover scrubed with a green
          > scrubber and Ajax) and shot the photo with the Oly. Then I just did
          > what I need to do to make it a "photo" from
          > the negitative with software.
          > Adam
        • Adam Bancroft
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 12 10:05 PM
            --- In genphoto@y..., "Bill D. Russell" <wrussell@l...> wrote:
            > Since you can make a negative out of a positive with your scanner &
            >or adobe program, have you tried scanning the negatives and then
            >use the same procedure and they should come out as a positive.

            Hi Bill,

            Thanks for the reply.

            I can only scan 35mm neg's with my scanner. I am unable to scan
            anything larger with what I have on hand <pout>. I thought I would
            try to see what the Oly digi cam could do to "scan" larger formats
            and create a positive image from a larger format negative. The
            result was better than I expected and a far cry above some other digi
            cameras I have tried to do this.

            Thanks again Bill for the reply. I am glad to see this group is alive
            and well.

            Cheers!
            Adam
          • Adam Bancroft
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 12 10:33 PM
              --- In genphoto@y..., "E.Rodier" <cerear@t...> wrote:
              > Traditional camera stores sell small light boxes but your picture
              >looks very good as-is. Thanks for posting the link.

              Thanks Elizabeth!

              I do have one of thoes light boxes that I use for viewing slides and
              neg's and did not even think to try it. I'll have to give it a shot!
              It will be interesting to see if the florecent light source gives the
              same greenish color with the Oly digi as it does with a film camera.

              Thanks again for the suggestion! :)

              Cheers!
              Adam
            • Bryan Logan
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 12 10:38 PM
                At 03:48 AM 8/13/01 +0000, Adam Bancroft wrote:

                >I have a bunch of old negitatives of family circa 1900 in 4x5
                >format. While I have a scanner that does 35mm negitatives and
                >slides, I dont have one that does larger formats. While I have the
                >equipment to just make a paper copy of these, I don't have the
                >facilities (dark room) to make the photo for scanning. I need these
                >photos for a Family History book that I am compiling.
                <snip>
                >I would like the groups thoughts on this and any advice anyone one
                >could share to improve the quality of the photos given the resources
                >I have at hand.
                <remainder snipped>

                Actually, you don't need much in the way of "facilities" to turn your
                negatives into photos; simply, and quite literally, a dark room -- or a
                room that can be darkened for a few minutes. A bathroom, closet or kitchen
                will do, and only needs to be dark when handling the photo paper before
                exposing it to the negative and while it's being processed. A plain light
                bulb can serve as your exposing lamp; you'll just need to get some
                developer, stop bath and fixer from your camera shop. If you expose 4 negs
                on one 8x10 sheet, you can then scan the entire sheet and use your image
                editing software to crop them into individual pictures. The chemistry is
                fairly cheap, the processing is straightforward, and you'll end up with an
                actual photo, rather than a photo of a photo.

                At the most, your room only needs about 15 minutes of darkness and can be
                achieved with very little disruption of those you may live with, especially
                if you work at it during the night.

                Hope this helps,

                Bryan Logan
                ****************************
                * bvlogan@... *
                ****************************
              • Richard Brandstetter
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 12 10:55 PM
                  Used one of the new 4 layers films it work better with florescent light
                  source .

                  Richard Brandstetter
                  www.weddings-nj.com

                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 12 11:21 PM
                    --- In genphoto@y..., Bryan Logan <bvlogan@b...> wrote:
                    > editing software to crop them into individual pictures. The
                    >chemistry is fairly cheap, the processing is straightforward, and
                    >you'll end up with an actual photo, rather than a photo of a photo.

                    > At the most, your room only needs about 15 minutes of darkness and
                    >can be achieved with very little disruption of those you may live
                    >with, especially if you work at it during the night.
                    >
                    > Hope this helps,
                    >
                    > Bryan Logan

                    Hi Bryan

                    I often process B&W neg's and every once in a while, color slides in
                    the "bathroom" darkroom. I am going to give your suggestion a try
                    and see If I can do it. I agree haveing an actual photo is far
                    better than a photo of a photo. Now for a question, What photo paper
                    would you, or anyone else, recomend I use to make the print?

                    Thanks
                    Adam
                  • Adam Bancroft
                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 12 11:48 PM
                      --- In genphoto@y..., "Richard Brandstetter" ...wrote:

                      > Used one of the new 4 layers films it work better with florescent
                      >light source .
                      >
                      > Richard Brandstetter
                      > www.weddings-nj.com

                      Hi Richard,

                      The camera in question is digitial, no film.

                      Cheers!
                      Adam
                    • MScheffler
                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 13 5:03 AM
                        HP has a scanner with an attachment that can scan negatives and
                        transparences up to 5 x 5 inches. I believe the model number is 5370
                        and the cost approximately $269. I have seen them at Office Max as well
                        as other stores selling computer equipment.

                        Margaret Scheffler

                        > I have a bunch of old negitatives of family circa 1900 in 4x5
                        > format. While I have a scanner that does 35mm negitatives and
                        > slides, I dont have one that does larger formats. While I have the
                        equipment to just make a paper copy of these, I don't have the
                        facilities (dark room) to make the photo for scanning. I need these
                        photos for a Family History book that I am compiling.

                        > I have tried using other digitial cameras I have owned to "scan" the
                        negitatives with poor results but not the Oly 3000 untill yesterday. I
                        think the method will work for my project.

                        > What I did was to make a blank white background on my computer for a
                        light source. I taped the neg on the screen with a homemade light
                        diffusion background(CD Rom Jewel Case Cover scrubed with a green
                        scrubber and Ajax) and shot the photo with the Oly. Then I just did
                        what I need to do to make it a "photo" from the negitative with
                        software.

                        > I would like the groups thoughts on this and any advice anyone one
                        could share to improve the quality of the photos given the resources I
                        have at hand.

                        > The photo, resampled for presentation is at:

                        > The youngest in the photo is my Grandmother. To date the photo, she
                        was born in March 1900.

                        > Adam
                      • Carroll Hughes
                        Message 11 of 16 , Aug 13 7:11 AM
                          Adam Bancroft wrote:

                          > --- In genphoto@y..., "Richard Brandstetter" ...wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Used one of the new 4 layers films it work better with florescent
                          > >light source .
                          > >
                          > > Richard Brandstetter
                          > > www.weddings-nj.com
                          >
                          > Hi Richard,
                          >
                          > The camera in question is digitial, no film.
                          >
                          > Cheers!
                          > Adam

                          I make copies of negatives on a light box with a copy stand with both
                          B&W and color film. With a digital camera the color cast shouldn't
                          matter if you want a B&W copy. To get a toned copy, convert to B&W and
                          then add the tone in Photoshop or similar program.
                          --

                          Carroll Hughes

                          PHOTOGRAPHY and DIGITAL IMAGING, PHOTO RESTORATION
                          email: mailto:hughescck@...
                          Visit my website: http://www.cool.icestorm.com/chughesphoto/
                        • Bryan Logan
                          Message 12 of 16 , Aug 13 9:08 AM
                            At 06:21 AM 8/13/01 +0000, Adam Bancroft wrote:

                            >I often process B&W neg's and every once in a while, color slides in
                            >the "bathroom" darkroom. I am going to give your suggestion a try
                            >and see If I can do it. I agree haveing an actual photo is far
                            >better than a photo of a photo. Now for a question, What photo paper
                            >would you, or anyone else, recomend I use to make the print?

                            For B&W contact prints, I use Kodak Azo -- it's specifically made for that
                            purpose.
                            Bryan Logan
                            ****************************
                            * bvlogan@... *
                            ****************************
                          • Richard Brandstetter
                            Message 13 of 16 , Aug 13 9:40 AM
                              you can use a 4x5 frame with the glass as a printing frame .
                              this is for your 4x5 film
                              > For B&W contact prints, I use Kodak Azo -- it's specifically made for that
                              > purpose.
                              > Bryan Logan

                            • Jack Henderson
                              Message 14 of 16 , Aug 13 2:16 PM
                                At 09:19 PM 8/12/01, you wrote:
                                >Since you can make a negative out of a positive with your scanner & or adobe
                                >program, have you tried scanning the negatives and then use the same
                                >procedure and they should come out as a positive.

                                You have to have a light source to do this. This is what makes a 35mm
                                scanner or negative scanner work.

                                If you have a slide viewing table, of approximately the right size or
                                larger, you can place the negative on the flat bed scanner, turn the
                                viewing table on, and place it light side down on the negative, and scan
                                that. The biggest problem that I have had on this, is the color of the
                                light, and I had to form a mask to place around the negative, to stop light
                                bloom on the sensor head on the scanner.

                                Shakey Jack
                              • Billpg13@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 16 , Aug 13 6:37 PM
                                  Why don't you consider making contact prints? it is not very difficult and
                                  then the quality would be there? If you are interested in learning how send
                                  me a private email.
                                  Bill Malone
                                  Billpg13@...

                                • Adam Bancroft
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Aug 13 10:32 PM
                                    --- In genphoto@y..., Billpg13@a... wrote:
                                    >Why don't you consider making contact prints? it is not very
                                    >difficult and then the quality would be there? If you are
                                    >interested in learning how ...

                                    Hi Bill,

                                    Thanks,

                                    I can do contact prints with the equipment I have on hand and I do
                                    know how, but thanks for the offer. My problem is I don't have the
                                    space for a dark room at the moment. I will see what I can do to
                                    adapt and give it a shot. It will be interesting to see if the
                                    scanned photo from the print is better than the image I posted using
                                    the digi cam given reduction and file size for presentation here.

                                    Thanks Bill and everyone else for the Input and Ideas.

                                    Cheers!
                                    Adam