RE: [genphoto] Digital Camera

  • Stella
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 3, 2001
      Hi Paul

      I have a little experience of digital cameras.

      My first was a basic Kodak 215 - a point and shoot variety - and excellent
      fun I had with it! I took 1900 photographs in the year I had it.

      Then this year I had a moment of madness with my credit card and bought a
      Nikon 990 Coolpix - on the basis that it won the top award in the PC Pro
      magazine tests. It is an excellent camera and does a lot more than I would
      probably ever use. I can highly recommend it.

      If you want any questions answered, I'll do my best.

      Below is the review I've copied from the PC Pro site:

      Stella
      in Nottingham - Queen of the English Midland Counties
      All my research is assisted by the use of http://www.archivecdbooks.com
      Request your digital photographs of Nottingham here
      http://www.nottingham-genpics.f2s.com

      Nikon's CoolPix brand of digital cameras is one of the best known on the
      market today. The company has been producing digital cameras from the word
      go, starting with the CoolPix 100 in issue 31. Nearly four years on Nikon
      brings us the Coolpix 990 - the most expensive camera in this test.
      Back in issue 31, Nikon impressed us with its 512 x 480 resolution camera
      with 1Mb of Flash memory. The resolution of the 990 is well into three
      megapixel territory - that's 2,048 x 1,536 - and you also benefit from a 3x
      optical zoom alongside a memory quota of 48Mb with the Premier bundle
      reviewed here. The 990 is also stacked with features. It has five main
      shooting modes - manual, aperture priority, shutter speed priority, program
      auto and a fully automatic mode. Shutter speeds range from 1/1,000th of a
      second up to eight seconds and there's also a bulb mode for longer exposures
      should you need one. The 990 also has the ability to set the white balance
      manually. Its Best Shot Selector (BSS) mode uses the camera's 32Mb built-in
      buffer to take shots continuously and then pick the sharpest, and there's a
      whole host of continuous shooting options.

      Reviewing pictures using the excellent LCD and menu system is as quick and
      responsive as any on test here. The zoom function is particularly well
      implemented - the directional thumb control makes it extremely easy to
      navigate images at close range - and there's also a Histogram tool. Once
      you've figured out how to use this, you'll be able to tell whether your
      images are over or underexposed at the drop of a hat.

      Features are nothing if they're not backed up with the requisite image
      quality, however, and on this front the 990 doesn't disappoint. In the
      studio setup the 990 kept everything well in focus, while detail capture was
      very impressive. The 990, unlike many of the cheaper cameras on test,
      managed to capture the texturing on the white cloth, and colour balance was
      excellent. The only area we found for complaint was that high-contrast edges
      tended to produce coloured fringes and on the external test image there was
      evidence of barrel distortion.

      Despite these shortcomings, the 990 is a quality piece of kit. Thanks to the
      lower street price for its premier bundle, it's now our all-round favourite.

      Verdict: Excellent colour balance and image detail capture, coupled with a
      stack of features, make this an incredibly powerful camera.
      Price:?729 (?857 inc VAT)
      Supplier: dabs.com 0800 138 5182
      Specs:
      Issue: 75

      Street price* (exc VAT) ?729 Optical viewfinder Yes

      Manufacturer's Web site www.nikon.co.uk LCD video monitor and diagonal size
      (in) 1.8

      Manufacturer's phone number Nikon 0800 230220 Separate status LCD Yes

      Supplier dabs.com 0800 138 5182 Equivalent ISO rating 100, 200, 400

      Web site www.dabs.com Video output Yes

      Basic warranty 1yr Audio recording functions No

      Dimensions (mm) (W x H x D) 149 x 79 x 38 Video capture (format) QuickTime

      Resolution Best shot selector Yes

      Maximum picture resolution 2,048 x 1,536 Special effects No

      Maximum picture resolution with interpolation N/A Integrated flash (modes)
      Auto, red-eye reduction, fill, off, slow sync

      File format JPEG, TIFF Standard tripod thread Yes

      Uncompressed mode Yes Add-on lenses Yes

      Number of compression settings 3 Optics

      Memory Lens manufacturer Nikkor

      Technology CompactFlash Type I Aperture range f/2.5-f/7

      Memory supplied (Mb) 48 Shutter speeds (seconds) 8-1/1,000, bulb

      Maximum picture capacity in highest quality mode** 30 Optical zoom (range)
      3x

      Maximum picture capacity in lowest quality mode** 969 Digital zoom (range)
      4x

      Controls Focal length (35mm equivalent) 38mm-115mm

      Focus method Auto, manual Battery/power supply

      Continuous shooting Yes Battery type included NiMH (AA)

      Time lapse shooting No Charger included Yes

      Self-timer Yes AC adaptor included Yes

      Manual shutter speed control Yes Cost if not included N/A

      Manual aperture control Yes PC connectivity

      Shutter priority control Yes Connection type USB, serial

      Aperture priority control Yes Editing software supplied Adobe Photoshop 5
      LE

      Remote control supplied No Accessories

      Remote shutter connection Yes Carry case Yes

      Manual white balance control Yes Lens cover Yes

      Exposure compensation range +/- 2EV Hotshoe for external flash No
      (proprietary connection)

      Macro mode and range (cm) 2-infinity Other Sun shade

      Extras

      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 3, 2001
        You might want to check out the Olympus D-490 zoom. It is a 2.1
        megapixel point and shoot camera with a zoom lens and can be purchased
        in the $379-399 range.

        Margaret Scheffler

        > I am anxious to purchase a Digital Camera and have started my
        research.
        > I have not found any GOOD, CURRENT source that would reveal
        comparisons
        > on the item. Although I do not have unlimited funds, I would like to
        > purchase a state of the art camera, with an expanding telephoto lens.
        > Do you have reliable information about, a source of information on, or
        > experience with, digital cameras that you would share with me? It
        would
        > be most appreciated. You can share the information on this site or
        send
        > it to me privately at my e-mail address.
        > Thanks Paul Weinberg pweinbergpe@...

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Jeffrey Owens
        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 3, 2001
          While the topic of discussion is digital camera selection I wonder if
          anyone has had any experience with using a digital camera to capture
          text from books or other printed material and then running it through an
          OCR software on a laptop. This would be so great for those trips to the
          library. At the national archives you can't use hand scanners and the
          photocopy process for older materials requires a lengthy process. Even
          at my local historical societies it would be a great time saver. I once
          saw a priest who was researching at my local society using such a setup,
          but at that time didn't think it enough priority to ask many questions
          reagrding the specs, etc.

          TNX for any comments,
          Jeff Owens
        • MScheffler
          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 3, 2001
            I can get readable copies from library books with the Olympus D-490
            zoom camera but I have never tried using OCR software to convert the
            document. I have also been able to get readable copies with a 1.3
            megapixal camera using a copystand.

            To get more than minimally acceptable copies in most cases, one
            really needs a copystand or a tripod that can be reversed to use as a
            copy stand as it is difficult to get really readable text by hand
            holding the camera in places with relatively poor lighting. Some
            libraries such as the CT State Library in Hartford are beginning to
            supply copy stands..

            Given the copy stand, natural light produces decent results.

            Margaret Scheffler

          • pweinbergpe@juno.com
            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 3, 2001
              I am anxious to purchase a Digital Camera and have started my research.
              I have not found any GOOD, CURRENT source that would reveal comparisons
              on the item. Although I do not have unlimited funds, I would like to
              purchase a state of the art camera, with an expanding telephoto lens.
              Do you have reliable information about, a source of information on, or
              experience with, digital cameras that you would share with me? It would
              be most appreciated. You can share the information on this site or send
              it to me privately at my e-mail address.
              Thanks Paul Weinberg pweinbergpe@...
              GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
              http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
            • Luis Nadeau
              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 3, 2001
                At 7:14 PM -0700 01/7/3, pweinbergpe@... wrote:
                >I am anxious to purchase a Digital Camera and have started my research.
                >I have not found any GOOD, CURRENT source that would reveal comparisons
                >on the item. Although I do not have unlimited funds, I would like to
                >purchase a state of the art camera, with an expanding telephoto lens.

                Take a look at this:

                http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,50146,00.asp

                Sometime over the next 12 months I intend to digitize my collection,
                which consists of thousands of prints made by about 400 different
                technologies. A small part of my collection is here, for those who
                want to learn about the history of photography:

                http://www.photoconservation.com/

                For this, I will need lots of photomacrographs. The Nikon Coolpix
                950, and following models seem the most interesting because the split
                design allows easy focusing while the camera is on a copy stand.
                Also, many organizations make accessories for the Nikon, like this
                Makroloupe and Macroscope:

                http://www.micro-tech-lab.de/index_e.html

                Luis Nadeau
                director@...

                >Do you have reliable information about, a source of information on, or
                >experience with, digital cameras that you would share with me? It would
                >be most appreciated. You can share the information on this site or send
                >it to me privately at my e-mail address.
                >Thanks Paul Weinberg pweinbergpe@...

              • Cindy Greene
                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 4, 2001
                  I am a very happy owner of a Nikon CoolPix 950. The hands-down best site
                  for comparison is

                  http://www.dpreview.com

                  Not only can you research individual cameras and compare them, but there
                  are many forums with incredibly helpful professionals. You can search
                  the forums for info on the cameras you are interested in - but be aware
                  you may get overwhelmed! The Nikon forum alone is a wealth of info.

                  I looked at the Olympus D-490 and liked it -- but went with the Nikon
                  since I wanted lots of manual options as well as expandability and
                  quality. If I were buying now I would get the CoolPix 995, the latest
                  model - but I still love the 950.

                  The CoolPix cameras are known even among professional photographers for
                  excellent macro capabilities. You can use it as a point-and-shoot, or
                  shoot strictly manual. I almost always use the manual mode now, since
                  I'm spending a lot of time shooting my children's sports and need a fast
                  shutter speed. The only drawback I've found is the on-camera flash - but
                  evidently all digital compact cameras have less-than-perfect flash
                  capability since the flash is so close to the lens (frequent red-eye). I
                  get around this by shooting most family pictures in natural light with
                  the flash turned off.

                  The built-in zoom lens has a 35mm equivalent of about 38-115. We bought
                  a Nikon 2-X converter and a wide-angle converter - and now have a range
                  of 24 - 230. There is also a 3X converter and third-party lenses that
                  extend range even further.

                  Go digital - it has made photography so much fun again. I've taken
                  nearly 2000 pictures this year; and I love not having to have the film developed!

                  Cindy Greene
                • DVGagel@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jul 4, 2001
                    I have had a Sony Mavica for about 1 1/2 years now. It has a macro function
                    that I use to make copies of photographs, etc. in libraries that do not allow
                    copy stands, etc. It also has picture effects for sepia, negative, and BW. It
                    does use a floppy disk, which I like so I can use with any of my
                    computers--lap or desk. It also has a 6x zoom. I can transfer the pix to my
                    harddrive or what I usually do is copy on to CD and reuse the floppies after
                    formatting the disk in the camera. Short videos are also possible. You can
                    save the pix in various formats: normal, voice, and email. Image size goes
                    from 640x480 to 1024x768 to 1216x912.
                    For genealogy this is a great camera to use in addition to my 35 mm cameras.
                    Diane
                  • The Beatties
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jul 4, 2001
                      I have just received an old school photo from the mid 1930's (of a school
                      in Los Angeles). It is one of those long ones, maybe 2 or 3 times as long
                      as it tall, showing the entire student body and faculty. My problem is that
                      due to it's awkward size, the previous owner of the photo rolled it up and
                      stored it in a drawer for the last 60 years. When I tried to carefully
                      unroll it to have a look at it, it tried to crack. I or course stopped
                      unrolling it! It seems to be in great shape, with all of the faces clear,
                      and even has some names handwritten on the back. It will be a great
                      resource if I can get it flattened out. I have heard that soaking it in
                      water works, but I'm concerned that the couple of places where it started
                      to crack might soak up the water and destroy the whole thing. Help!

                      Dorrie Beattie
                      =============================
                      Isaac Ministries
                      PO Box 1253
                      Skiatook, OK 74070
                      www.IsaacLine.com !
                    • Patty Brown
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jul 4, 2001
                        Hi Dorrie,
                        Soaking in water will work well if the photo is not too old. Older photos
                        often run the risk of the emulsion floating off if left in the water too long.

                        Here's what you need to do. Get a spray bottle (the type of thing you'd use
                        to spray water onto plants) and some plain blotter paper. Use filtered
                        water. Keep spraying the BACK of the photo until the water absorbs into it
                        and the photo will start to unroll. When it's completely unrolled (or
                        enough that it's not going to crack when you flatten it), lay it between 2
                        pieces of blotter paper and put something on top to weigh it down. As it
                        dries it will take on this new flat shape.

                        Good luck
                        Patty

                      • ngchesnutt@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jul 6, 2001
                          In a message dated 7/4/2001 15:05:37, cindyg@... writes:

                          << Go digital - it has made photography so much fun again. I've taken
                          nearly 2000 pictures this year; and I love not having to have the film
                          developed! >>

                          I hope you realize that unless you are using archival ink and paper those
                          digital pictures you are printing will not last longer than 5 or 6 years.
                          Also the technology to "read" the digital images will change and you need to
                          be sure to update your storage method. My 100 year old black and white
                          negatives still print good pictures but I wonder if your great-grandchildren
                          will be able to view your digital pictures.
                        • Michael McColgin
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jul 6, 2001
                            Henry Wilhelm is one of the best photo scientists anywhere. For almost
                            everything about the permanence of photos in all their variations, check
                            out http://www.tssphoto.com/sp/dg/news/wilhelm102999.html
                            Michael McColgin
                            Conservation Officer
                            Arizona State Archives

                          • Spikes2nephews@aol.com

                              Message 14 of 18 , Jul 6, 2001
                                The longest the cheaper printer companies estimate is 25 years for prints.
                                The real expensive equipment, paper, etc. ($1000 just to start up) is now 100
                                years, but who knows? Who is going to guarantee that the equipment will be
                                available to read the digital? Until Bill Gates tells me that there will be
                                no further computer/digital advancements I am still using film for the
                                important stuff. The rest is for fun and for desk top publishing or web
                                publishing.
                                I agree with other person, 35 mm negs stored properly is still the way to go.
                                Diane
                              • jbrown1002@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jul 6, 2001
                                  So what are you doing to permit your great-grandchildren to view your digital
                                  photos?

                                  John B. Brown
                                • HDMShort@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jul 16, 2001
                                    Hi Listers:
                                    Thanks to all of you who responded to my request about scanners. I recently
                                    bought an Olympus Digital C-700 camera. I'm unable to program it to work in
                                    the 640 to 480 mode to take web ready photos. When I turn the camera off, it
                                    reverts to another mode that was put in at the factory which gives me an
                                    image so large that I only get 16 pictures on a 8 MB Smart media Card.
                                    If anyone has any suggestions, they will be appreciated.
                                    Harry,
                                    In Cool California for a change.
                                  • wilburd@webtv.net
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jul 16, 2001
                                      on the 640 x 480 thing with the Olympus digital camera, what did the
                                      Olympus web sight tell you?

                                      Wilbur D. Russell
                                      1015 South 4th
                                      Leavenworth Ks.66048-3410
                                      Pho 913/651-5662 QUE SERA SERA
                                      http://community.webtv.net/wilburd/SLLUGseniorLansing
                                    • Cindy Greene
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Jul 17, 2001
                                        Harry,

                                        Looks like in your menus is a "picture" menu - and then an "image
                                        quality" menu. Check your manual for how to set different picture
                                        quality settings. From the review I found below, it looks like you can
                                        choose 640x480 from the "tiff" menu.

                                        I use a Nikon but I'm sure your settings are in the menus - and the
                                        manuals are not easy to read, but the info has to be there somewhere.

                                        Suggestions:

                                        Read the in-depth reviews on these two sites for your camera:

                                        http://www.dpreview.com/news/0103/01031902olympusc700uz.asp

                                        http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/C700/C70A.HTM

                                        Then, do a quick search of the Olympus forum at www.dpreview.com to see
                                        if your question has been answered. Here's the link to the Olympus
                                        group:

                                        http://www.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1008

                                        I'm sure someone there with your camera could help.

                                        Last, look for a bigger card. I have a 64MB and a 32MB as well as the
                                        orignal 8MB for emergency use. It's worth the money to have a couple of extras.

                                        Good luck,
                                        Cindy