Re: [genphoto] Scanner

  • LRiffey007@aol.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 28, 2001
      I also am using an HP 7400, greatest scanner since sliced bread.
      Larry

    • HDMShort@aol.com
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 11, 2005
        Hello All:

        Would any one have any suggestions about a scanner that would be suitable for
        scanning B & W negatives?

      • Linda DeB
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 12, 2005
          Harry,

          I have a Epson 4180 and it really does a nice job on negatives and slides.
          It wasn't the most expensive scanner out there, but I have been please with
          results.

          Linda

          Would any one have any suggestions about a scanner that would be suitable
          for
          scanning B & W negatives?

          Please do not try to contact me at the Yahoo Groups list owner address, use
          editor@...

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          To visit your group on the web, go to:

        • Historic Photo Archive
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 12, 2005
            The new Epson 4990 Pro is probably the best affordable scanner for B&W negs.
            It was just released last month and is a brand new model, list price is $600
            and can probably be bought at a substantial discount. It is better than the
            Artixscan 1800, which I have, and that cost $1500 almost two years ago.

            The best thing about the Epson is the scan depth, or dmax. Old negs are
            quite dense and most scanners can't see through the range of opacities. I
            cannot think of another scanner near this price that could do a good job on
            old negs. I scan historic negatives for a living.

            The epson information is here:
            http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/consumer/consDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=ye
            s&oid=49164281

            If you are scanning 35mm or 120 format negs only, then get the Nikon.

            Good luck

            --
            Thomas Robinson
            441 NE Jarrett St.