Re: [genphoto] Photo Donations

  • fplauer@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 22 10:58 AM
      I am referring to the information sent concerning the donation of important
      photos and letters to historical societies. Be Careful.

      Friends of mine have donated items to libraries and museums. When they went
      back to use this information, the libraries had either incorrectly stored the
      negatives and papers so they were in poor condition, or they couldn't find
      them.

      If they are available for use, the libraries then charge an exhorbitant fee
      to copy them Often if information is stored on tape, libraries do not have
      the older equipment to access what a person needs, so the tapes just sit
      there.

      Also, once the library owns the information, they charge a fee to anyone who
      wants to put that information into any kind of publication. This could be
      difficult when it is personal information that has been donated in the first
      place.

      Be aware also, that when libraries have an overload of information,
      especially in a popular section like genealogy, they often sell or give their
      excess to other libraries or interested parties.

      There are probably many people who have had no problem with donations or
      accessing information that they need. Maybe there is a way to donate with a
      clause stating how the information is to be used. I am looking for an answer
      also, but until I have one, I will be very careful how and to whom I pass on
      my genealogical treasures.

      Fran

    • tBrown
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 22 11:22 AM
        Fran raises some important points. If you are donating to a library or museum it might be well to negotiate some kind of agreement whereby
        title remains in the donor (his/her heirs and assigns) with the perpetual right to possession remaining in the library or museum so long as
        certain conditions such as access and preservation are met and if not, possession to revert to the donor. I had a client whose deceased
        brother had been photographer for a local paper over a long period of time. She donated his negatives and prints to a local museum where
        they immediately became forgotten as the museum shifted its focus to prehistoric central American history.

        Tom Brown

      • DVGagel@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 23 4:44 PM
          In a message dated 4/22/01 2:00:56 PM Eastern Daylight Time, fplauer@...
          writes:

          > There are probably many people who have had no problem with donations or
          > accessing information that they need. Maybe there is a way to donate with a
          > clause stating how the information is to be used. I am looking for an
          > answer
          > also, but until I have one, I will be very careful how and to whom I pass
          > on
          > my genealogical treasures.

          Whenever you make a donation to any archives, you can always put restrictions
          on the material. If the archives will accept the material and the
          restrictions, then you should be safe.
          Diane

          Message 4 of 4 , May 3, 2001
            I have suspended the Old Photo Search feature of City Gallery due to lack
            of interest, usage and contributions. Also, until I find a way of
            preventing people from putting inappropriate links into the database, it
            will remain shuttered.

            http://www.city-gallery.com/search/

            Steve

            Steve Knoblock popular history