Glass negatives-How to Clean?

  • George Painter
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 21, 2001
      I also have a few glass negatives, but they are extremely dirty, having
      been stored in an old garage for years. Does anyone know how to go about
      cleaning them?

      Thanks,
      George

    • Billpg13@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 21, 2001
        I cleaned mine very carefully very dilute window cleaner on the glass side.
        Do not attempt to clean the emulsion side as you may damage it. A soft brush
        is about all you can do. Do not get any moisture on the emulsion side or it
        may come off. I laid the plate on a dry paper towel and used a moistened
        cloth to carefully wipe the grime off of the glass side. This seemed to work
        quite well. I tried a negative cleaner on the emulsion but it did not seem
        to make much difference and could cause damage.
        Bill