Re: [genphoto] Glass negatives

  • Billpg13@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 21, 2001
      Hi,
      To preserve the plates themselves, I would invest in archival paper
      protectors. I bought mine from University Products. Others also sell them.
      I would also at least contact print them on fibre based paper and process to
      archival standards. They could also be enlarged with proper equipment.
      Contact printing is not difficult and can be done with very little
      investment.

    • George Painter
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 21, 2001
        I also have a few glass negatives, but they are extremely dirty, having
        been stored in an old garage for years. Does anyone know how to go about
        cleaning them?

        Thanks,
        George

      • Billpg13@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 21, 2001
          I cleaned mine very carefully very dilute window cleaner on the glass side.
          Do not attempt to clean the emulsion side as you may damage it. A soft brush
          is about all you can do. Do not get any moisture on the emulsion side or it
          may come off. I laid the plate on a dry paper towel and used a moistened
          cloth to carefully wipe the grime off of the glass side. This seemed to work
          quite well. I tried a negative cleaner on the emulsion but it did not seem
          to make much difference and could cause damage.
          Bill