Re: [genphoto] Photo Programs offered?

  • ngchesnutt@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 31, 2001
      I would keep those old photos that you scanned. Don't throw them away just to
      save space. I have black and white photos and negatives that my grandmother
      saved from 1906 when she was in college. The negatives still make good
      prints. Who knows what will happen with digital images and how technology
      will change.
    • Pamela Robert
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 2, 2001
        There are couple of items you should consider regarding archival
        photos. First, are you using archival ink. The Epson archival ink
        should be printed on matte, not glossy photos. I believe it can be
        used with all of the newer Epsons. The very best printer they have
        for this purpose is $900. I haven't purchased it, but I did see a
        great demo at MacWorld San Francisco. I would be more concerned about
        the ink you use, than the paper in this case. There are now some
        archival papers on the market as well. You can check out the Epson
        Stylus Photo 200P at http://www.epson.com/. Click on ink jet
        printers, then scroll down the page. Keeping the photos in acid-free
        albums would definitely help as light is the real problem here. Also,
        something to remember, that I recently discovered, is that CDs do not
        last forever. I believe the known life of a CD is only 10 years. If
        you are storing your photos on CDs, you need to remember to recopy
        them every few years. I have been scanning my photos at 600 dpi,
        which is actually higher than the printer can print. The optimum scan
        for a 1440 x 720 printer is actually 300 dpi. However, when I am
        scanning photos I figure that the scans will be around for a long
        time and I may never get the same quality scan or may never see the
        photo again, so I scan at a higher resolution than I can use now. The
        printer technology is developing so fast that I figure the lower
        scans will be dated within a couple of years. I also produce a scan,
        that I don't touch-up, at the highest resolution I can get from my
        printer and put it on a disk to use when technology surpasses what it
        is now. I figure that with the CD-RW, disks are cheap and I'd rather
        plan for the future.

        Message: 2
        > Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 18:03:20 -0500
        > From: "MaryJane Koenig" <mjsail@...>
        > Subject: RE: Photo Programs offered?
        >
        > I have a question about resolution and scanning color and photos. I just
        > purchased an Epson 1240 U that I like. I have been scanning in the family
        > photos (4x6) at 720 pixels and 42 bit color. They take up more memory than
        > you describe, but I wanted to be able to print 5x7 or 8x12 photos in the
        > future. My hard drive is 60 gigs and I also have a CD-RW drive so memory
        is
        > not a problem. Do I need to save in such a high resolution? I use
        Photoshop
        > LE and Photo Deluxe, but have not learned to use them fully yet.
        > One more question-I have heard that photo paper sold on the market for
        > printers only lasts for about 10 years-color fades? I cannot verify this.
        > preserve my photos archivally in acid free photo albums-would this help?
        > Thank you.
      • Luis Nadeau
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 2, 2001
          At 6:03 PM -0500 2001/03/31, MaryJane Koenig wrote:

          > One more question-I have heard that photo paper sold on the market for
          >printers only lasts for about 10 years-color fades? I cannot verify this. I
          >preserve my photos archivally in acid free photo albums-would this help?

          The paper lasts longer but the inks may fade in a matter of weeks.
          Some of the "archival" quality inks and papers have already been
          pulled off the market when it was realized that the accelerated aging
          tests they were using were faulty. Printing technologies are changing
          too fast for anyone to test materials properly. In many cases, by the
          time aging results are published, the materials have already been
          changed.

          When I want really permanent photographs I make them using
          traditional processes. This, however requires a lot of skills and a
          lot of time...

          Note that "acid-free" materials are often made alkaline with the
          addition of a buffing agent and this can be detrimental to certain
          photographs, e.g., cyanotypes and albumen prints. It is best to keep
          your new prints away from the old ones.

          To stay up-to-date on printing technologies you may want to keep an
          eye on this site:

          http://www.wilhelm-research.com/

          Finally, CD technologies are not of archival quality. Some CDs will
          work in this machine but not that one, etc.

          I have yet to hear my enlarger say "this 4x5 negative is unreadable.
          Do you wish to initialize it?"

          Luis Nadeau
          director@...
          Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada
          http://www.photoconservation.com/
          http://www3.nbnet.nb.ca/nadeaul/
        • Sheila Kelley
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 5, 2001
            Thank you all for your input. I purchased Paint Shop Pro 7.0, I look forward
            to learning it,the picture quality sure shows up on screen. I had a CD
            burner installed & increased my hard drive to 30gb.Also have found a
            wonderful site called Gather Round,a place to store photos,share them,etc.
            Sheila
            http://www.gatherround.com