Re: [genphoto] Photo Programs offered?

  • Jjupar@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 31, 2001
      I have a great many photos in my scanner and at first it nearly collapsed
      until someone told me to store all my colour photos as 'JPEG' and the black
      and white ones as 'Bitmap'.

      This saves quite a lot of computer space although you lose a bit of clarity.

      Sorry I don.t know about the photo paper but perhaps a professional
      photographer would be able to advise you. My old one are stored in acid free
      tissue in an album or two, depending on age.

      Does this help any.
    • ngchesnutt@aol.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 31, 2001
        I would keep those old photos that you scanned. Don't throw them away just to
        save space. I have black and white photos and negatives that my grandmother
        saved from 1906 when she was in college. The negatives still make good
        prints. Who knows what will happen with digital images and how technology
        will change.
      • Pamela Robert
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 2, 2001
          There are couple of items you should consider regarding archival
          photos. First, are you using archival ink. The Epson archival ink
          should be printed on matte, not glossy photos. I believe it can be
          used with all of the newer Epsons. The very best printer they have
          for this purpose is $900. I haven't purchased it, but I did see a
          great demo at MacWorld San Francisco. I would be more concerned about
          the ink you use, than the paper in this case. There are now some
          archival papers on the market as well. You can check out the Epson
          Stylus Photo 200P at http://www.epson.com/. Click on ink jet
          printers, then scroll down the page. Keeping the photos in acid-free
          albums would definitely help as light is the real problem here. Also,
          something to remember, that I recently discovered, is that CDs do not
          last forever. I believe the known life of a CD is only 10 years. If
          you are storing your photos on CDs, you need to remember to recopy
          them every few years. I have been scanning my photos at 600 dpi,
          which is actually higher than the printer can print. The optimum scan
          for a 1440 x 720 printer is actually 300 dpi. However, when I am
          scanning photos I figure that the scans will be around for a long
          time and I may never get the same quality scan or may never see the
          photo again, so I scan at a higher resolution than I can use now. The
          printer technology is developing so fast that I figure the lower
          scans will be dated within a couple of years. I also produce a scan,
          that I don't touch-up, at the highest resolution I can get from my
          printer and put it on a disk to use when technology surpasses what it
          is now. I figure that with the CD-RW, disks are cheap and I'd rather
          plan for the future.

          Message: 2
          > Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 18:03:20 -0500
          > From: "MaryJane Koenig" <mjsail@...>
          > Subject: RE: Photo Programs offered?
          >
          > I have a question about resolution and scanning color and photos. I just
          > purchased an Epson 1240 U that I like. I have been scanning in the family
          > photos (4x6) at 720 pixels and 42 bit color. They take up more memory than
          > you describe, but I wanted to be able to print 5x7 or 8x12 photos in the
          > future. My hard drive is 60 gigs and I also have a CD-RW drive so memory
          is
          > not a problem. Do I need to save in such a high resolution? I use
          Photoshop
          > LE and Photo Deluxe, but have not learned to use them fully yet.
          > One more question-I have heard that photo paper sold on the market for
          > printers only lasts for about 10 years-color fades? I cannot verify this.
          > preserve my photos archivally in acid free photo albums-would this help?
          > Thank you.
        • Luis Nadeau
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 2, 2001
            At 6:03 PM -0500 2001/03/31, MaryJane Koenig wrote:

            > One more question-I have heard that photo paper sold on the market for
            >printers only lasts for about 10 years-color fades? I cannot verify this. I
            >preserve my photos archivally in acid free photo albums-would this help?

            The paper lasts longer but the inks may fade in a matter of weeks.
            Some of the "archival" quality inks and papers have already been
            pulled off the market when it was realized that the accelerated aging
            tests they were using were faulty. Printing technologies are changing
            too fast for anyone to test materials properly. In many cases, by the
            time aging results are published, the materials have already been
            changed.

            When I want really permanent photographs I make them using
            traditional processes. This, however requires a lot of skills and a
            lot of time...

            Note that "acid-free" materials are often made alkaline with the
            addition of a buffing agent and this can be detrimental to certain
            photographs, e.g., cyanotypes and albumen prints. It is best to keep
            your new prints away from the old ones.

            To stay up-to-date on printing technologies you may want to keep an
            eye on this site:

            http://www.wilhelm-research.com/

            Finally, CD technologies are not of archival quality. Some CDs will
            work in this machine but not that one, etc.

            I have yet to hear my enlarger say "this 4x5 negative is unreadable.
            Do you wish to initialize it?"

            Luis Nadeau
            director@...
            Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada
            http://www.photoconservation.com/
            http://www3.nbnet.nb.ca/nadeaul/
          • Sheila Kelley
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 5, 2001
              Thank you all for your input. I purchased Paint Shop Pro 7.0, I look forward
              to learning it,the picture quality sure shows up on screen. I had a CD
              burner installed & increased my hard drive to 30gb.Also have found a
              wonderful site called Gather Round,a place to store photos,share them,etc.
              Sheila
              http://www.gatherround.com