selecting appropriate file size

  • E.Rodier
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 12, 2001
      Scanning experiment
      5 inch x 1.5 inch section of a source document (census microfilm photocopy)
      selected for scanning. Original handwriting is not very clear for name
      spellings regardless of file size used.

      Various saved files of the same scan range from 115 kb to 730 kb with very
      little difference in quality of printed image enlarged to 6.5 inches wide.
      Pixel heights were 240-480. JPG settings best and 10%, all samples 256
      greyscale.

      The smallest image of 115 kb looks nearly as good reduced to 17 kb using
      software to reduce the file to minimum acceptable size.

      Advantage of using smallest acceptable image size is that more sources can
      be saved on a single backup product, in this case a CD-Recordable that will
      be shared with relatives.

      Some researchers keep files in three or four sizes -- Archival, family size
      (usually 480-600 pixels), web size with some form of compression and perhaps
      thumbnails just to show that a source document or photo is available.

      Suggestion based on five years of working with source documents and photos
      in a genealogy program is to use the scans for the intended purpose and make
      file size decisions based on trial printouts (or web postings).
      Elizabeth
    • George Painter
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 12, 2001
        Elizabeth, very interesting. If you want to take this further, can you
        send me a typical scan at the highest resolution you can scan. Keep in the
        original tif format if you can as size doesn't matter as I have a cable
        connection. I would like to import it into Photoshop and see if I can
        imporove it to it make more readable. I have just finished scanning in
        some "tin types" in the Gem size and they were very dark. Most of them
        cleaned up and are beautiful now, even expanded to larger sizes such as 3 X
        5 in or so.

        I will be glad to compare and let you and the list know what my success is/was.

        George in Eldersburg, MD.