Re: [genphoto] Book Recommendation

  • LLevine2@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 1, 2001
      unsubscribe
    • Bill and/or Glenna Jo Christen
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 1, 2001
        pyeattm@... wrote:

        > Wow! Sound like you really know your clothing! Don't suppose you have a
        > book that I can buy?

        Sorry, not right now. I am in the process of writing a book on men's clothes
        from 1855-1870.

        > I have bought a few others, but, they just give the most basic description of
        > the clothing and don't tell you why they put the date on them

        Joan make some assumptions based on secondary source material, add some
        imaginative descriptions of the people, misses some of the dating details of
        the mediums, describes colors in black and white images and mixes fashion
        design cues. She has published a lot of nice images. That is why we bought the
        book. She has acknowledged her errors when we discussed them. It's a learning
        process for all of us.

        My wife and I have a modest collection of images (several thousand), a
        substantial reference library and a few dozen original garments. You need to
        really 'listen" to what the image or original garment is "saying" when dating
        or identifying. We are always happy to help folks ID or date images and
        garments. we live in Michigan and welcome visitors. We also know "how much we
        don't know" about photography of the mid-nineteenth century and are willing to
        gain more education.

        Bill Christen
        --
        gwjchris@...
        Visit our web site, "The Curiosity Shop"
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 1, 2001
          Bill,
          I have a photo I'd love you to look at. It's not so much the date I'm interested in, I'd guess it to be 1880's - any feedback would be nice tho!, but the clothing is what really has me going.

          If you're interested I'll send you the url - I have it on my webpage. Then I'll tell you what I've been told so far abt the clothing.

          Have I peaked your interest any?

          P.S. I LOVE old photos and would be in heaven looking at a collection like yours! Lucky you!

          Becky on Indian Mtn.
          St. Maries near Couer d'Alene, Idaho
          ^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^
          My Family Genealogy:
          http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~ouryorks
          My Gedcom:
          http://worldconnect.genealogy.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?db=byork
          Url of York ~for all York lines~
          http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~allyorks
          Jefferson Co., OK Co - Coordinator
          http://www.rootsweb.com/~okjeffer
          ^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

        • pyeattm@baxter.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 2, 2001
            Well.......Since you offered. I have a group of photos for which I have no
            identification at all except they are part of my Perry family. I have tried
            to date them based on Joan's book. Most are 1860-1880s based on my limited
            knowledge. I have put some dates on some of them - but, would like your
            opinion as to whether I am in the neighborhood. They are at
            http://www.picturetrail.com/pyeatt
            in the "Unidentified Perry Relations album". I think that with accurate
            dates, I may be able to determine who these people might be in order to
            track down other images of those individuals for comparison. Thanks, MCP

            Bill and/or
            Glenna Jo To: genphoto@yahoogroups.com
            Christen cc:
            <gwjchris@rus Subject: Re: [genphoto] Book
            t.net> Recommendation

            02/01/01
            09:53 PM
            Please
            respond to
            genphoto

            pyeattm@... wrote:

            > Wow! Sound like you really know your clothing! Don't suppose you have a
            > book that I can buy?

            Sorry, not right now. I am in the process of writing a book on men's
            clothes
            from 1855-1870.

            > I have bought a few others, but, they just give the most basic
            description of
            > the clothing and don't tell you why they put the date on them

            Joan make some assumptions based on secondary source material, add some
            imaginative descriptions of the people, misses some of the dating details
            of
            the mediums, describes colors in black and white images and mixes fashion
            design cues. She has published a lot of nice images. That is why we bought
            the
            book. She has acknowledged her errors when we discussed them. It's a
            learning
            process for all of us.

            My wife and I have a modest collection of images (several thousand), a
            substantial reference library and a few dozen original garments. You need
            really 'listen" to what the image or original garment is "saying" when
            dating
            or identifying. We are always happy to help folks ID or date images and
            garments. we live in Michigan and welcome visitors. We also know "how much
            we
            don't know" about photography of the mid-nineteenth century and are willing
            gain more education.

            Bill Christen
            --
            gwjchris@...
            Visit our web site, "The Curiosity Shop"
            http://www.rust.net/~gwjchris/

            list admin: knoblock@... City Gallery: http://www.city-gallery.com/
          • Luis Nadeau
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 3, 2001
              At 10:53 PM -0500 2001/02/01, Bill and/or Glenna Jo Christen wrote:
              >pyeattm@... wrote:
              >
              >> Wow! Sound like you really know your clothing! Don't suppose you have a
              >> book that I can buy?
              >
              >Sorry, not right now. I am in the process of writing a book on men's clothes
              >from 1855-1870.

              >garments. we live in Michigan and welcome visitors. We also know "how much we
              >don't know" about photography of the mid-nineteenth century and are willing to
              >gain more education.

              I won't even attempt to date clothes, except to cover the history of
              printing technologies that were used in their manufacture. This is part of
              my next book:

              _GUIDE TO THE IDENTIFICATION OF PRINTS AND PHOTOGRAPHS, Featuring a
              Chronological History of Reproduction Technologies_

              This book is a follow-up to my _ENCYCLOPEDIA OF PRINTING, PHOTOGRAPHIC AND
              PHOTOMECHANICAL PROCESSES_, almost out of print, but available in many
              libraries.

              I see that a lot of people are putting photographs on the web with the hope
              that someone will come along and help them with their identification. As a
              first step I recommend that they identify the technologies used in their
              production. Another clue is the size used, etc. After a good physical
              description of the item, clothing experts should be invited for their
              input. There is a mailing list for textile conservators which may be of
              some help as well.

              Luis Nadeau
              director@...
              Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada
              http://www.photoconservation.com/
              http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/bytopic/repro/nadeau1.html
              http://www.phxinternet.net/users/dbarto/lnadeau.html
              http://www.apogeephoto.com/mag7-6/ortiz_echague.shtml
              http://www.geocities.com/nadeaul/Encyclopedia/IndexEncySubj.pdf
              http://www.geocities.com/nadeaul/Encyclopedia/EncyNames.pdf

              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 3, 2001
                Luis Nadeau wrote:

                > I won't even attempt to date clothes, except to cover the history of printing
                > technologies that were used in their manufacture. This is part of my next book:
                >
                > _GUIDE TO THE IDENTIFICATION OF PRINTS AND PHOTOGRAPHS, Featuring a
                > Chronological History of Reproduction Technologies_

                Mr. Nadeau,

                Please keep me informed of the publication. It sounds like another book for my
                reference library. You are correct that the processes are as important as the
                subject matter.

                > This book is a follow-up to my _ENCYCLOPEDIA OF PRINTING, PHOTOGRAPHIC AND
                > PHOTOMECHANICAL PROCESSES_, almost out of print, but available in many
                > libraries.

                I'll look for this at the library.

                Thanks,

                Bill Christen
                --
                gwjchris@...
              • Bill and/or Glenna Jo Christen
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 3, 2001
                  pyeattm@... wrote:

                  > I have a group of photos for which I have no identification at all except
                  > they are part of my Perry family.

                  Here are my thoughts...

                  Young boy in NO: 1863-1866 (see Lady in NO)

                  Lady in NO: her dress says 1864-68, but I assume there is no revenue stamp
                  (1864-1866), Samuel Anderson was in business at that address during the war.

                  Lady and Child in NO: she is wearing the same dress as above, this was another
                  son (note his hair appears to be parted on the side). The three images were
                  probably taken on the same day...perhaps for her husband who may have been
                  away...a soldier? The best I can do is 1864-1866. We need to know when Anderson
                  was in business as Samuel. He is listed as being in partnership with a Blessing
                  and a Turner at that address. These two business name changes may establish a
                  date. When my wife returns tomorrow night, I'll have check the dress. I need to
                  see the backmark.

                  Faded Lady: She is not wearing an 1840s dress...it's more like 1870s. The image
                  itself is a post 1870 format. My wife can probably narrow it even more.

                  Siblings in NO: 1863-1866, R. Washburn at 109 Canal and W. W. Washburen at 113
                  Canal during the war. I need to see the backmark.

                  Brother & Sister in NO: 1865-1868, painted backdrop and again I need to see the
                  backmark.

                  Mother and daughter in NO: 1866-1870: mother's clothes

                  F??bis of Vicksburg: vignetted image (1860s) of of another image (possibly late
                  1850s)

                  Wedding picture: 1863-1867, need to see backmark. Joslin was in business in
                  Vicksburg during the war

                  Bushman images: both from early 1880s

                  baby's images: 1875-80s, when was Bushman in business?

                  Miniature: think it's 1880s

                  Handsome man: 1885-1890...just as you stated

                  Dark skinned man: 1863-1869

                  Galveston: late1870s to early 1880s

                  Louisville men's images: agree with you (my expertise is 1855-1870)

                  Louisville lady could be in the 1880s also.

                  If we knew when the photographer were in business, we might be able to match
                  some of your dates. The KY and TX images may dovetail with family movements.

                  Bill

                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 13, 2001
                    I was just updating my photos with your very much appreciated dating help.
                    I noticed that there were a few others that I might be able to distinguish
                    if I had a good date and so I thought I would impose on you again. In Album
                    #7 at http://www.picturetrail.com/pyeatt the last photo is of Tony
                    McKinney. I thought at first that it was printed on glass, but, someone
                    else told me it was metal. Also, in album #12 - these people are
                    identified, but, I do not have dates. I have tried to come up with some
                    based on known dates of birth, etc. But, on some of them, I do not know
                    that information or am not sure which 'Russell Carson' etc. they are
                    identifying. And, if you have time on your hands and want to take a gander
                    at the other albums there are photos in there that may or may not have
                    dates. Anything to help would be greatly appreciated. Marianne

                    Bill and/or
                    Glenna Jo To: genphoto@yahoogroups.com
                    Christen cc:
                    <gwjchris@rus Subject: Re: [genphoto] Book