Re: [genphoto] Book Recommendation

  • Carl Mautz
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 31, 2001
      A lady in Folsom, California, bought cartes-de-visite and cabinet card
      portraits from me for years and finally published a book last year on the
      topic in question. The book is _Victorian Costume for Ladies_ by Linda
      Setnik. It's a good one.

      Carl Mautz
      > /****************************************\
      > / Carl Mautz Publishing \
      > / 228 Commercial Street, PMB 522 \
      > / Nevada City, California 95959 \
      > / Voice 530-478-1610 Fax 530-478-0466 \
      > / cmautz@... \
      > / <http://www.nccn.net/~cmautz/ \

      Check out _Photographers: A Sourcebook for Historical Research_, our new
      reference book for researchers, historians, students and libraries at:
      http://www.nccn.net/~cmautz/pas.htm
    • LLevine2@aol.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 1, 2001
        unsubscribe
      • Bill and/or Glenna Jo Christen
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 1, 2001
          pyeattm@... wrote:

          > Wow! Sound like you really know your clothing! Don't suppose you have a
          > book that I can buy?

          Sorry, not right now. I am in the process of writing a book on men's clothes
          from 1855-1870.

          > I have bought a few others, but, they just give the most basic description of
          > the clothing and don't tell you why they put the date on them

          Joan make some assumptions based on secondary source material, add some
          imaginative descriptions of the people, misses some of the dating details of
          the mediums, describes colors in black and white images and mixes fashion
          design cues. She has published a lot of nice images. That is why we bought the
          book. She has acknowledged her errors when we discussed them. It's a learning
          process for all of us.

          My wife and I have a modest collection of images (several thousand), a
          substantial reference library and a few dozen original garments. You need to
          really 'listen" to what the image or original garment is "saying" when dating
          or identifying. We are always happy to help folks ID or date images and
          garments. we live in Michigan and welcome visitors. We also know "how much we
          don't know" about photography of the mid-nineteenth century and are willing to
          gain more education.

          Bill Christen
          --
          gwjchris@...
          Visit our web site, "The Curiosity Shop"
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 1, 2001
            Bill,
            I have a photo I'd love you to look at. It's not so much the date I'm interested in, I'd guess it to be 1880's - any feedback would be nice tho!, but the clothing is what really has me going.

            If you're interested I'll send you the url - I have it on my webpage. Then I'll tell you what I've been told so far abt the clothing.

            Have I peaked your interest any?

            P.S. I LOVE old photos and would be in heaven looking at a collection like yours! Lucky you!

            Becky on Indian Mtn.
            St. Maries near Couer d'Alene, Idaho
            ^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^
            My Family Genealogy:
            http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~ouryorks
            My Gedcom:
            http://worldconnect.genealogy.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?db=byork
            Url of York ~for all York lines~
            http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~allyorks
            Jefferson Co., OK Co - Coordinator
            http://www.rootsweb.com/~okjeffer
            ^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

          • pyeattm@baxter.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 2, 2001
              Well.......Since you offered. I have a group of photos for which I have no
              identification at all except they are part of my Perry family. I have tried
              to date them based on Joan's book. Most are 1860-1880s based on my limited
              knowledge. I have put some dates on some of them - but, would like your
              opinion as to whether I am in the neighborhood. They are at
              http://www.picturetrail.com/pyeatt
              in the "Unidentified Perry Relations album". I think that with accurate
              dates, I may be able to determine who these people might be in order to
              track down other images of those individuals for comparison. Thanks, MCP

              Bill and/or
              Glenna Jo To: genphoto@yahoogroups.com
              Christen cc:
              <gwjchris@rus Subject: Re: [genphoto] Book
              t.net> Recommendation

              02/01/01
              09:53 PM
              Please
              respond to
              genphoto

              pyeattm@... wrote:

              > Wow! Sound like you really know your clothing! Don't suppose you have a
              > book that I can buy?

              Sorry, not right now. I am in the process of writing a book on men's
              clothes
              from 1855-1870.

              > I have bought a few others, but, they just give the most basic
              description of
              > the clothing and don't tell you why they put the date on them

              Joan make some assumptions based on secondary source material, add some
              imaginative descriptions of the people, misses some of the dating details
              of
              the mediums, describes colors in black and white images and mixes fashion
              design cues. She has published a lot of nice images. That is why we bought
              the
              book. She has acknowledged her errors when we discussed them. It's a
              learning
              process for all of us.

              My wife and I have a modest collection of images (several thousand), a
              substantial reference library and a few dozen original garments. You need
              really 'listen" to what the image or original garment is "saying" when
              dating
              or identifying. We are always happy to help folks ID or date images and
              garments. we live in Michigan and welcome visitors. We also know "how much
              we
              don't know" about photography of the mid-nineteenth century and are willing
              gain more education.

              Bill Christen
              --
              gwjchris@...
              Visit our web site, "The Curiosity Shop"
              http://www.rust.net/~gwjchris/

              list admin: knoblock@... City Gallery: http://www.city-gallery.com/
            • Luis Nadeau
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 3, 2001
                At 10:53 PM -0500 2001/02/01, Bill and/or Glenna Jo Christen wrote:
                >pyeattm@... wrote:
                >
                >> Wow! Sound like you really know your clothing! Don't suppose you have a
                >> book that I can buy?
                >
                >Sorry, not right now. I am in the process of writing a book on men's clothes
                >from 1855-1870.

                >garments. we live in Michigan and welcome visitors. We also know "how much we
                >don't know" about photography of the mid-nineteenth century and are willing to
                >gain more education.

                I won't even attempt to date clothes, except to cover the history of
                printing technologies that were used in their manufacture. This is part of
                my next book:

                _GUIDE TO THE IDENTIFICATION OF PRINTS AND PHOTOGRAPHS, Featuring a
                Chronological History of Reproduction Technologies_

                This book is a follow-up to my _ENCYCLOPEDIA OF PRINTING, PHOTOGRAPHIC AND
                PHOTOMECHANICAL PROCESSES_, almost out of print, but available in many
                libraries.

                I see that a lot of people are putting photographs on the web with the hope
                that someone will come along and help them with their identification. As a
                first step I recommend that they identify the technologies used in their
                production. Another clue is the size used, etc. After a good physical
                description of the item, clothing experts should be invited for their
                input. There is a mailing list for textile conservators which may be of
                some help as well.

                Luis Nadeau
                director@...
                Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada
                http://www.photoconservation.com/
                http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/bytopic/repro/nadeau1.html
                http://www.phxinternet.net/users/dbarto/lnadeau.html
                http://www.apogeephoto.com/mag7-6/ortiz_echague.shtml
                http://www.geocities.com/nadeaul/Encyclopedia/IndexEncySubj.pdf
                http://www.geocities.com/nadeaul/Encyclopedia/EncyNames.pdf

                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 3, 2001
                  Luis Nadeau wrote:

                  > I won't even attempt to date clothes, except to cover the history of printing
                  > technologies that were used in their manufacture. This is part of my next book:
                  >
                  > _GUIDE TO THE IDENTIFICATION OF PRINTS AND PHOTOGRAPHS, Featuring a
                  > Chronological History of Reproduction Technologies_

                  Mr. Nadeau,

                  Please keep me informed of the publication. It sounds like another book for my
                  reference library. You are correct that the processes are as important as the
                  subject matter.

                  > This book is a follow-up to my _ENCYCLOPEDIA OF PRINTING, PHOTOGRAPHIC AND
                  > PHOTOMECHANICAL PROCESSES_, almost out of print, but available in many
                  > libraries.

                  I'll look for this at the library.

                  Thanks,

                  Bill Christen
                  --
                  gwjchris@...
                • Bill and/or Glenna Jo Christen
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 3, 2001
                    pyeattm@... wrote:

                    > I have a group of photos for which I have no identification at all except
                    > they are part of my Perry family.

                    Here are my thoughts...

                    Young boy in NO: 1863-1866 (see Lady in NO)

                    Lady in NO: her dress says 1864-68, but I assume there is no revenue stamp
                    (1864-1866), Samuel Anderson was in business at that address during the war.

                    Lady and Child in NO: she is wearing the same dress as above, this was another
                    son (note his hair appears to be parted on the side). The three images were
                    probably taken on the same day...perhaps for her husband who may have been
                    away...a soldier? The best I can do is 1864-1866. We need to know when Anderson
                    was in business as Samuel. He is listed as being in partnership with a Blessing
                    and a Turner at that address. These two business name changes may establish a
                    date. When my wife returns tomorrow night, I'll have check the dress. I need to
                    see the backmark.

                    Faded Lady: She is not wearing an 1840s dress...it's more like 1870s. The image
                    itself is a post 1870 format. My wife can probably narrow it even more.

                    Siblings in NO: 1863-1866, R. Washburn at 109 Canal and W. W. Washburen at 113
                    Canal during the war. I need to see the backmark.

                    Brother & Sister in NO: 1865-1868, painted backdrop and again I need to see the
                    backmark.

                    Mother and daughter in NO: 1866-1870: mother's clothes

                    F??bis of Vicksburg: vignetted image (1860s) of of another image (possibly late
                    1850s)

                    Wedding picture: 1863-1867, need to see backmark. Joslin was in business in
                    Vicksburg during the war

                    Bushman images: both from early 1880s

                    baby's images: 1875-80s, when was Bushman in business?

                    Miniature: think it's 1880s

                    Handsome man: 1885-1890...just as you stated

                    Dark skinned man: 1863-1869

                    Galveston: late1870s to early 1880s

                    Louisville men's images: agree with you (my expertise is 1855-1870)

                    Louisville lady could be in the 1880s also.

                    If we knew when the photographer were in business, we might be able to match
                    some of your dates. The KY and TX images may dovetail with family movements.

                    Bill

                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 13, 2001
                      I was just updating my photos with your very much appreciated dating help.
                      I noticed that there were a few others that I might be able to distinguish
                      if I had a good date and so I thought I would impose on you again. In Album
                      #7 at http://www.picturetrail.com/pyeatt the last photo is of Tony
                      McKinney. I thought at first that it was printed on glass, but, someone
                      else told me it was metal. Also, in album #12 - these people are
                      identified, but, I do not have dates. I have tried to come up with some
                      based on known dates of birth, etc. But, on some of them, I do not know
                      that information or am not sure which 'Russell Carson' etc. they are
                      identifying. And, if you have time on your hands and want to take a gander
                      at the other albums there are photos in there that may or may not have
                      dates. Anything to help would be greatly appreciated. Marianne

                      Bill and/or
                      Glenna Jo To: genphoto@yahoogroups.com
                      Christen cc:
                      <gwjchris@rus Subject: Re: [genphoto] Book