Scanner

  • HDMShort@aol.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 8, 2001
      Hi Listers:
      Does anyone know of a white paper that can be used to print review photos
      that I have scanned? I'm using a Visioner One Touch 7600 Scanner and would
      like to hear if anyone has any useful tips about his scanner or scanning in
      general that would be useful to a beginner.

      Thank you,
      Harry Short
    • Sue Rosoff
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 8, 2001
        Epson has a lightweight photo paper with a bright
        white surface that is called "Photo Quality
        Matte"
        You can probably get it a lot of places - but a
        good source online is
        www.freestylecamera.com
        they have it for $13.95 for 100 sheets of
        8.5x11....

        > > Hi Listers:
        > > Does anyone know of a white paper that can be
        > used to print review photos
        > > that I have scanned? I'm using a Visioner One
        > Touch 7600 Scanner and would
        > > like to hear if anyone has any useful tips
        > about his scanner or scanning
        > in
        > > general that would be useful to a beginner.
        > >
        > > Thank you,
        > > Harry Short

        > genphoto@...

        > list admin: knoblock@... City Gallery:
        > http://www.city-gallery.com/

        http://photos.yahoo.com/
      • Stephen Oddy
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 9, 2001

          Try using high resolution paper, it cost 20 cents a page in Australia
          and gives results as good as photo grade paper.
          P.S. It has only one good side

          Stephen
          Hillarys
          Western Australia

          HDMShort@... wrote:

          > Hi Listers:
          > Does anyone know of a white paper that can be used to print review photos
          > that I have scanned? I'm using a Visioner One Touch 7600 Scanner and would
          > like to hear if anyone has any useful tips about his scanner or scanning in
          > general that would be useful to a beginner.
          >
          > Thank you,
          > Harry Short

          > list admin: knoblock@... City Gallery: http://www.city-gallery.com/
        • MScheffler
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 9, 2001
            Office Max has a nice paper by the Great White Co., Imaging & Photo
            Paper; Matte finish. It comes in boxes of 100 sheets for about $10.

            Margaret Scheffler

            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 9, 2001
              Pictures printed on 100 Bright White ink jet paper, 500 sheets for $10-$15,
              look good enough to share. Full page color pictures can be printed on both
              sides of the page without showing through. Drying time is important, pages
              cannot be turned immediately.

              Letter weight glossy costing up to $1 per page can be used for special pages
              in a book or report but only printed on one side. A picture printed on the
              wrong side of coated (matte) paper smeared or became sticky.

              Every company changed papers the last 5 years as color ink jets became
              common, replacing 20 pound papers with 24-26 pound papers. Brightness of
              affordable papers increased from below 90 to 100 or higher.

              Printers are available to turn pages automatically after allowing drying
              time to print the second side. Better results than printing odd/even pages
              and turning a stack.
            • HDMShort@aol.com
              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 27, 2001
                Hello List:
                I'm looking for a scanner that is easy to use that produces good results and
                will scan negatives. Does any one have any suggestions?
              • George Painter
                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 27, 2001
                  Harry, read about the top ten and the best buy scanner at this URL for
                  PCWORLD. It looks like the Epson 1240U is the one to buy that does
                  negatives and slides.

                  George

                • MBarnhurst@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 27, 2001
                    I'm using an HP 7400C and am very happy with it.

                  • George Painter
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 27, 2001
                      Does the HP 7400C do slides and transparencies? I was looking at those
                      scanners, but may have missed the 7400.

                      George

                      At 12:06 AM 6/28/01 -0400, you wrote:
                      >I'm using an HP 7400C and am very happy with it.

                      >Post message: genphoto@yahoogroups.com
                      >Subscribe: genphoto-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
                      >(please contact editor@...)
                      >City Gallery: http://www.city-gallery.com/

                    • Suzanne
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 28, 2001
                        That's the 1 I bought to scan the glass negatives that I got from dad - it
                        did an excellent job with b + w

                        Suzanne

                        Message: 2
                        Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 13:35:16 -0400
                        From: George Painter <gpaint@...>
                        Subject: Re: Scanner

                      • MBarnhurst@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jun 28, 2001
                          Yes, the HP ScanJet 7400C does slides and transparencies. It comes with a
                          transparency adapter and slide and film masks. I think this may be what you
                          are looking for.

                        • LRiffey007@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jun 28, 2001
                            I also am using an HP 7400, greatest scanner since sliced bread.
                            Larry

                          • HDMShort@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 16 , Apr 11, 2005
                              Hello All:

                              Would any one have any suggestions about a scanner that would be suitable for
                              scanning B & W negatives?

                            • Linda DeB
                              Message 14 of 16 , Apr 12, 2005
                                Harry,

                                I have a Epson 4180 and it really does a nice job on negatives and slides.
                                It wasn't the most expensive scanner out there, but I have been please with
                                results.

                                Linda

                                Would any one have any suggestions about a scanner that would be suitable
                                for
                                scanning B & W negatives?

                                Please do not try to contact me at the Yahoo Groups list owner address, use
                                editor@...

                                Yahoo! Groups Links

                                To visit your group on the web, go to:

                              • Historic Photo Archive
                                Message 15 of 16 , Apr 12, 2005
                                  The new Epson 4990 Pro is probably the best affordable scanner for B&W negs.
                                  It was just released last month and is a brand new model, list price is $600
                                  and can probably be bought at a substantial discount. It is better than the
                                  Artixscan 1800, which I have, and that cost $1500 almost two years ago.

                                  The best thing about the Epson is the scan depth, or dmax. Old negs are
                                  quite dense and most scanners can't see through the range of opacities. I
                                  cannot think of another scanner near this price that could do a good job on
                                  old negs. I scan historic negatives for a living.

                                  The epson information is here:
                                  http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/consumer/consDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=ye
                                  s&oid=49164281

                                  If you are scanning 35mm or 120 format negs only, then get the Nikon.

                                  Good luck

                                  --
                                  Thomas Robinson
                                  441 NE Jarrett St.