Preserving photos that were mounted on black paper photo album

  • K
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 13, 2000
      Hi everyone,

      A few years ago I inherited my grandmother's old photo albums. I have
      since put each photo in archival photo albums.

      One of the photo albums was the really old kind with the black paper.
      The photos were meant to be mounted using the corner tabs. However,
      my Grandma 'mounted' the photos with glue instead of using the corner
      tabs!!

      The photos came off of the black paper easily but there is a lot of
      black paper stuck to the backsides of the photos. I'm worried that
      this paper will eventually eat away at the photos. Does anyone know
      if there's a safe way to remove this paper off the back of the photos?

      I've been thinking about using the product "Un du" which easily takes
      off pricing labels, etc. Do you think I could use this and that it
      would leave the photo undamaged in the long run?

      Does anyone have any ideas?

      Kaye
      Fargo, ND
    • LisaHBskt@aol.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 18, 2000
        In a message dated 11/13/2000 10:44:38 PM Pacific Standard Time,
        kkirk@... writes:

        << 've been thinking about using the product "Un du" which easily takes
        off pricing labels, etc. Do you think I could use this and that it
        would leave the photo undamaged in the long run? >>

        I have used this product and it seems to work well. Take your least
        important photo for a test and only apply it to the back of the photo. Work
        slowly.
        Good luck
        Lisa in Southern CA
      • Robert Commins
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 19, 2000
          > In a message dated 11/13/2000 10:44:38 PM Pacific Standard Time,
          > kkirk@... writes:
          >
          > << 've been thinking about using the product "Un du" which easily takes
          > off pricing labels, etc. Do you think I could use this and that it
          > would leave the photo undamaged in the long run? >>
          >
          > I have used this product and it seems to work well. Take your least
          > important photo for a test and only apply it to the back of the photo.
          Work
          > slowly.
          > Good luck
          > Lisa in Southern CA

          > list admin: knoblock@... City Gallery: http://www.city-gallery.com/

        • Robert Commins
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 19, 2000
            > In a message dated 11/13/2000 10:44:38 PM Pacific Standard Time,
            > kkirk@... writes:
            >
            > << 've been thinking about using the product "Un du" which easily takes
            > off pricing labels, etc. Do you think I could use this and that it
            > would leave the photo undamaged in the long run? >>
            >
            > I have used this product and it seems to work well. Take your least
            > important photo for a test and only apply it to the back of the photo.
            Work
            > slowly.
            > Good luck
            > Lisa in Southern CA

            > list admin: knoblock@... City Gallery: http://www.city-gallery.com/

          • George Painter
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 19, 2000
              I meant to comment on this subject several days ago. The thrust of my
              comments are that you should be sure of what you are doing and what are the
              long term affects of any "foreign" substance you introduce on a precious
              family photograph. I suspect the company will provide you with the chemical
              data sheet make-up of the substance, as there is a law that requires them to
              do so upon request. I can't remember the name of the law, but the purpose
              was to make sure users of chemicals and other substances produced by a
              company were made aware of the contents so they could evaluate it use for
              both utility and safety.

              I have received such sheets in the past when purchasing chemicals for other
              purposes. It would be nice if we had a chemist on the list so we could
              benefit from his/her knowledge on the subject. In the meantime, I would
              recommend you live with the problem a little longer. Another source for
              relative information would be museum curators who live with problems like
              this every day.

              When photographs were developed and printed years ago the affect of acids,
              etc. from the chemicals and the paper itself on the life of the photographs
              were not know. The long term affects, however, were disasterous.

              For what its worth,
              George

              > > In a message dated 11/13/2000 10:44:38 PM Pacific Standard Time,
              > > kkirk@... writes:
              > >
              > > << 've been thinking about using the product "Un du" which easily takes
              > > off pricing labels, etc. Do you think I could use this and that it
              > > would leave the photo undamaged in the long run? >>
              > >
              > > I have used this product and it seems to work well. Take your least
              > > important photo for a test and only apply it to the back of the photo.
              > Work
              > > slowly.
              > > Good luck
              > > Lisa in Southern CA

              > > list admin: knoblock@... City Gallery: http://www.city-gallery.com/

              > list admin: knoblock@... City Gallery: http://www.city-gallery.com/

            • Jack Henderson
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 19, 2000
                At 10:34 AM 11/19/00, you wrote:
                >I meant to comment on this subject several days ago. The thrust of my
                >comments are that you should be sure of what you are doing and what are the
                >long term affects of any "foreign" substance you introduce on a precious
                >family photograph. I suspect the company will provide you with the chemical
                >data sheet make-up of the substance, as there is a law that requires them to
                >do so upon request. I can't remember the name of the law, but the purpose
                >was to make sure users of chemicals and other substances produced by a
                >company were made aware of the contents so they could evaluate it use for
                >both utility and safety.
                >
                >I have received such sheets in the past when purchasing chemicals for other
                >purposes. It would be nice if we had a chemist on the list so we could
                >benefit from his/her knowledge on the subject. In the meantime, I would
                >recommend you live with the problem a little longer. Another source for
                >relative information would be museum curators who live with problems like
                >this every day.
                >
                >When photographs were developed and printed years ago the affect of acids,
                >etc. from the chemicals and the paper itself on the life of the photographs
                >were not know. The long term affects, however, were disasterous.
                >

                >For what its worth,
                >George

                They are called MDS forms, for material data sheets. They give data on
                composition of material, and precautions needed when handling the
                substance. They are required by Federal Rules. They are short in most
                cases, but to the point. For everything Kodak has, they have their MDS
                forms on line. Other companies most normally do not have them on line.

                Shakey Jack
              • Robert Commins
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 19, 2000
                  Lisa:Where can you buy "Un du."
                  Bob

                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 19, 2000
                    In a message dated 11/19/2000 9:35:08 AM Pacific Standard Time,
                    rcommins@... writes:

                    << Lisa:Where can you buy "Un du."
                    Bob >>

                    Bob and all,

                    In southern California I was able to locate some in an Aaron Bros. whcih is
                    a framing shop and art supply chain store. Camera, shops and art supply
                    stores may have it.

                    Lisa
                  • kkirk
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 20, 2000
                      I want to thank everyone who responded to my post. Thanks for all of the
                      feedback. It's greatly appreciate.

                      Kaye
                    • Ida Skarson McCormick
                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 20, 2000
                        Please reconsider before breaking up an old album. Some time ago I heard a
                        lecture by a photoarchivist, Rod Slemmons, who said the arrangement in an
                        old photo album is/may be important, and the photos should not be removed
                        or rearranged. We can copy the photos we want without disrupting
                        them. If there are old photos of a place and its people, consider donating
                        the album to a historical society in that location.

                        --Ida Skarson McCormick, idamc@..., Seattle