film scanner

  • John C. Jernigan
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 2, 2000
      I am considering the purchase of a film scanner (finally). And I'm
      leaning toward the Nikon Coolscan III (LS30) mostly because of price.
      But is 2700 DPI enough? Also is 3.0 dynamic range enough?
      Would like to hear comments on this or any other film scanner from
      experienced users.
      Thanks,
      John J.
    • John Hofmann
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 2, 2000
        "John C. Jernigan" wrote:

        > I am considering the purchase of a film scanner (finally). And I'm
        > leaning toward the Nikon Coolscan III (LS30) mostly because of price.
        > But is 2700 DPI enough? Also is 3.0 dynamic range enough?
        > Would like to hear comments on this or any other film scanner from
        > experienced users.

        2700dpi would be far more than enough. I've never found a reason to use more
        than 600dpi on my scanner, and even then I end up with some rather large file
        sizes.

        The main recommendation I'd have when looking at scanners is speed (that is,
        how long it takes to scan an item). I have a Microtek something-or-other
        which was quite inexpensive and produces a perfectly nice output, but takes
        forever to make a pass (particularly at higher resolutions). If you have a
        lot of photos to scan (as I do), it really starts to wear on you.

        JRH
      • rejoyce51@aol.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 2, 2000
          Hi, I have a HP Scanjet 5370c that works beautifully. I scan all kinds of
          negatives, have some really old ones from the 1920s and 1930s, they scan and
          print very nicely. I can also scan slides with this scanner. It was on sale
          at Office Max a couple weeks ago for $269 also Sams Club has it for the same
          price all the time. The scanner has special light source for the negatives
          and slides, you really need this I think. I wouldn't go much cheaper to get
          good results! Its also a very quiet machine.
          Joyce from Michigan
        • John C. Jernigan
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 2, 2000
            John Hofmann wrote:

            > 2700dpi would be far more than enough. I've never found a reason to use more
            > than 600dpi on my scanner, and even then I end up with some rather large file
            > sizes.

            I think you misread my query. I want to buy a film scanner (for scanning 35 mm
            film and slides). I have boxes full of old slides and even older negatives that
            need to be scanned.
            I agree - 600 dpi is ample when scanning photos and documents on a flat bed
            scanner. But it is very inadequate when scanning film negatives and slides. For
            example, the Polaroid film scanner scans at 4000 dpi. But the Nikon Coolscan III
            scans only at 2700.

            John
          • John C. Jernigan
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 2, 2000
              Joyce
              Have you enlarged any 35 mm slides to 5x7 or 8x10? If so, were you pleased with
              the results? $269 sure beats $750 for the Coolscan III.
              Thanks for your input.
              John

            • rejoyce51@aol.com
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 2, 2000
                Hello John,
                Yes I've enlarged my slides, and they have turned out well, It depends on the
                printer that you are using of course. I have a HP deskjet 722c printer, it is
                a great little printer but would like a newer "better" one of course. ( I am
                not a HP saleswoman) grin. My scanner is also very fast and efficient, you
                may scan right to your printer, (and edit your preview scan and or negative
                or slide before printing)
                Joyce.
              • Sue Rosoff
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 2, 2000
                  John,

                  Your desired resolution depends on what the end
                  result of your digitized image is going to be...
                  I researched this pretty extensively for myself
                  personally and ended up going with the Nikon LS
                  2000 which does 35mm slides and negatives. It
                  runs about $1450 right now - the difference
                  between the two is that the III is 30 bit and the
                  2000 is 36 bit... I was favoring the III because
                  of price but then I asked a bunch of fine art
                  digital printers (reasoning that the most
                  substantial thing I would do with my digitized
                  images is have them printed in fine art form at
                  say 30"x40")that I found online which THEY would
                  prefer to print - and all of them said 36 bit -
                  and almost all of them had LS 2000's... ergo I
                  plopped down the moola... but for each person it
                  depends on what the potential end result is going
                  to be... Hope that helps!

                  Sue Rosoff
                  Digital Image Processor
                  Kwajalein Missile Range

                  --- "John C. Jernigan" <heritage-arts@...>
                  wrote:
                  > I am considering the purchase of a film scanner
                  > (finally). And I'm
                  > leaning toward the Nikon Coolscan III (LS30)
                  > mostly because of price.
                  > But is 2700 DPI enough?

                  From homework help to love advice, Yahoo! Experts has your answer.
                  http://experts.yahoo.com/
                • rejoyce51@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 2, 2000
                    My HP Scanjet 5370c scanner is a 42 bit just for your info, I don't think it
                    is a professional piece of hardware tho?
                    Joyce
                  • TLN
                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 2, 2000
                      He may need 2700 dpi for film. I assume he wants to scan 8mm movie
                      film. I very interested in seeing how 8mm scans.

                      Tom

                      On 2 Nov 00, at 13:09, John Hofmann wrote:

                      > "John C. Jernigan" wrote:
                      >
                      > > I am considering the purchase of a film scanner (finally). And I'm
                      > > leaning toward the Nikon Coolscan III (LS30) mostly because of price.
                      > > But is 2700 DPI enough? Also is 3.0 dynamic range enough?
                      > > Would like to hear comments on this or any other film scanner from
                      > > experienced users.
                      >
                      > 2700dpi would be far more than enough. I've never found a reason to use more
                      > than 600dpi on my scanner, and even then I end up with some rather large file
                      > sizes.
                      >
                      > The main recommendation I'd have when looking at scanners is speed (that is,
                      > how long it takes to scan an item). I have a Microtek something-or-other
                      > which was quite inexpensive and produces a perfectly nice output, but takes
                      > forever to make a pass (particularly at higher resolutions). If you have a
                      > lot of photos to scan (as I do), it really starts to wear on you.
                      >
                      > JRH

                      > list admin: knoblock@... City Gallery: http://www.city-gallery.com/

                    • E.Rodier
                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 2, 2000
                        John,
                        Haven't tried the specific scanner. An HP with 2400 dpi setting will make
                        about 16 MB JPG image from an uncropped 35mm slide, interesting to read
                        signs on the computer screen but far too large for practical use.

                        Plan a good file naming system and images copied OFF the hard drive, grouped
                        by subject on different CD-Recordables. Year first in the image name allows
                        sets of pictures to sort automatically within each Windows folder.
                        Elizabeth

                        > I am considering the purchase of a film scanner (finally). And I'm
                        > leaning toward the Nikon Coolscan III (LS30) mostly because of price.
                        > But is 2700 DPI enough?
                      • Sue Rosoff
                        Message 11 of 11 , Nov 2, 2000
                          I've heard it's a good scanner - but it's not
                          specifically for film - which is good if you need
                          something that does both and you're not going to
                          depend on the film scans to be blown up to a huge
                          print at some point - my old HP4c flatbed scanner
                          has a transparency adapter on it and it's great
                          for things like glass plate negatives - but it's
                          only 600 dpi and so doesn't work for film -
                          especially 35mm - especially since I want to be
                          able to make great reproductions from the digital
                          files down the line... I don't know how the
                          5370c is set up to hold the negatives - as in
                          flat - for good focus - which is crucial and
                          difficult to attain on a flatbed.. BUT - if
                          yours is working for what you need it to do
                          that's all you really need!

                          --- rejoyce51@... wrote:
                          > My HP Scanjet 5370c scanner is a 42 bit just
                          > for your info, I don't think it
                          > is a professional piece of hardware tho?
                          > Joyce
                          From homework help to love advice, Yahoo! Experts has your answer.
                          http://experts.yahoo.com/