Photographers: A Sourcebook for Historical Research

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 11, 2000
      I think you will be interested in the new _Photographers: A Sourcebook for
      Historical Research_ http://www.nccn.net/~cmautz/pas.htm. Carl Mautz, the
      publisher, said about this all new edition:

      In 1991 I began publishing with the thought in mind of serving the history
      of photography community by providing it with useful reference books. At
      the suggestion of my friend Peter Palmquist, I began by publishing Richard
      Rudisill's worldwide annotated bibliography of Directories of Photographers
      along with essays on how to do photography research. This book was entitled
      _Photographers: A Sourcebook for Historical Research_. The book sold out
      in four years and was picked up by not only libraries and archives but by
      teachers using it as a textbook to teach research.

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Special Offer ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      25% Discount on Photographers: A Sourcebook for Historical Research
      http://www.nccn.net/~cmautz/pas.htm

      The Sourcebook is available to GenPhoto list members at a 25% discount until
      December 31, 2000. Please use the following code when ordering: CGHOLIDAY,
      write it on the FAX order or include in your email or phone order.
      http://www.nccn.net/~cmautz/bkorder.htm

      Almost ten years and many publishing adventures and misadventures later (I
      did manage to retire from the courtroom), I have in hand an entirely
      revised edition of _Photographers: A Sourcebook for Historical Research_
      with Rudisill's bibliography doubling in size (Richard Rudisill was
      assisted in updating his list by European photo historian Steven Joseph).

      There are six new essays on Regional Directory Research and related topics,
      such as Dr. Jeremy Rowe's essay on copyright and other rights pertaining to
      the use of photographs. Peter Palmquist served as Editor-in-Chief again,
      Martha Sandweiss wrote a Foreward for the book, and in addition to Dr.
      Rowe, other members of the History of Photography mailing list contributed to
      the book, including David Haynes, Linda Ries, and Steve Knoblock. Rounding out
      the contributors was
      Drew Johnson of the Oakland Museum who wrote about "The Regional
      Photography Collection," i.e., the collection of the Oakland Museum.

      We hope many of you will support this book, not necessarily by purchasing
      it yourselves, but by recommending it to libraries in your communities,
      whether public, university, or institutional. In addition, we are hoping
      that the book will be utilized once again as a textbook for teaching, and I
      will offer a substantial discount for such teaching purchases. The print
      run, by the way, is small. There are 1000 paperback copies and 500 cloth
      copies.

      The book can be found on my web page at http://www.nccn.net/~cmautz/pas.htm
      and nowhere else at this time.

      Email me off list if there are any question.

      Carl

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Special Offer ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      25% Discount on Photographers: A Sourcebook for Historical Research
      http://www.nccn.net/~cmautz/pas.htm

      The Sourcebook is available to GenPhoto list members at a 25% discount until
      December 31, 2000. Please use the following code when ordering: CGHOLIDAY,
      write it on the FAX order or include in your email or phone order.
      http://www.nccn.net/~cmautz/bkorder.htm

      The directory of photographers is a practical guide to the over one thousand
      books, exhibition catalogs, university dissertations, and periodicals
      representing an enormous body of research into the lives of photographers
      during the medium's first century.
      It contains an essay by yours truly, and is a really excellent volume,
      available in both hardback and paper binding. The cover art and typography make
      an attractive presentation, which is to be expected from someone with Carl's
      sensibilities. If you do not purchase it for yourself, I encourage you to pass
      this offer along to your local public library, historical society or
      genealogical society to purchase one for their reference desk. Carl can be
      contacted at

      Carl Mautz Publishing
      228 Commercial Street, #522
      Nevada City, California 95959