Tracy City photographers

  • Robert W. King
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 4, 2000
      Hi Folks!

      I need help with a photograph found among the effects of my grandmother. It
      is a photograph of a young couple in their twenties or early thirties with
      an infant or very young child dressed in a dress on the woman's lap. The
      couple's clothing suggests the period of the Civil War or thereabouts. They
      are seated on a backless bench and there appears to be some kind of a
      painted backdrop behind them. There is an imprint on the bottom of the
      photograph identifying the photographer(s) as Staley & Tillet, Tracy City,
      Tenn.

      A little detective work with the GNIS database revealed that Tracy City is
      located in Grundy County. I know that my great-great-great-grandfather, Rev.
      James Bradford Roberts, born in 1814 and his wife, their children and
      grand-children removed from Grundy County in 1860 to Wright County,
      Missouri. Upon arriving in Missouri, they discovered that they could abide
      their new neighbor's politics so they moved again that same year to Fulton
      County, Arkansas. Given that the photo was among my grandmother effects, I
      am inclined to the view that the couple are one of the children of Rev. Jim
      Roberts and his wife Sarah, that child's spouse and couple's child.

      Can anybody offer any additional suggestions about how to identify the
      subjects of the photo? I have a scan of the photograph posted on my web site
      (http://www.wildweasel.net) or I can will send it to anybody that wants to
      have a look-see.

      --
      Robert W. King
      I'm an ingenieur, NOT a bloody locomotive driver!