Re: [genphoto] Re: A True View of Our Ancestors

  • tom
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 1, 2000
      I am not sure where this debate is going with regard to altering or merging
      photographs but I thought I'd chip in with my own two-penn'orth.
      If someone wishes to make a montage of images and it gives them pleasure
      then I think they have every right to do so.
      As a genealogist, I treat all material as suspect in any case. I wasn't
      named Thomas by accident B-)
      If people were to adopt a simple task, that is, write carefully on the back
      of the photo some details like where it was taken, and who is in the frame,
      it would make future generations lives a bit happier, especially family
      historians!
      This also eradicates the problems associated with montages; I think Fake is
      far too emotive a term.
      I wonder how many people on this list annotate their own photograph albums?
      Yes, a few, but in percentage terms?
      Spread the word. The Pen is mightier than the photograph! Annotate the
      Backs!
      Ok, climbing down from my soapbox.......

      One other thing occurs to me in this wonderful digital age.
      Have you ever tried writing on the back of a bitmap?

      Cheers
      Tom
      <ducks & runs>

      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 1, 2000
        Tom,

        As for writing on the back of photos.....I say Amen and Amen!

        My gr grandpapa had two wives. The first wife that died was my
        grandpapa's mama. The second wife being the step mother of all
        the children by the first wife, my gr grandmother.

        We have a beautiful photo....on hard cardboard....with a picture of
        a beautiful elegant lady. Sitting so straight , so tall, reaped with class.
        Just like you would want your gr grandmother to look like. Stylish
        and a small waist just a lovely face.

        But, here is where the story ends......on the back of the picture was
        written ever so plain....Mrs. Richardson.......but which Mrs. Richardson?
        Is she my gr grandmother....or is she the second Mrs. Richardson.

        You can never remind people to many times......write on the back...
        you know this person....by first name.....but a hundred years from
        now....you have created a great mystery.

        And, with no one left.....this will always be a mystery.

        Sandra

      • larkeddy@ns.sympatico.ca
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 1, 2000
          tom wrote:

          > If people were to adopt a simple task, that is, write carefully on the back
          > of the photo some details like where it was taken, and who is in the frame,
          > it would make future generations lives a bit happier, especially family
          > historians!...........
          > ...........Spread the word. The Pen is mightier than the photograph!
          > Annotate the
          > Backs!

          Tom is definitely going in the right direction, but I have a word of caution
          to all. Do not write on the backs of photographs with a ball point pen. Over
          time, the 'detergent' ink will bleed through to the emulsion side of the
          photograph causing ugly marks (usually red). Many of our so-called black
          'permanent' inks will do the same.

          Using an ordinary graphite lead pencil is better, but the plastic layer on the
          back of our modern photographic papers will usually not take lead pencil. The
          answer is to place a "peal and stick", not a "lick and stick", paper label on
          the back and write (with pencil to be safe) on it.

          Larry Keddy
          New Minas, Nova Scotia
          CANADA
        • FranAnd@aol.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 1, 2000
            I have a photo situation similar to Sandra's. I have a photo of my great
            uncle Edward Anderson of Glasgow, Scotland. It is apparently a marriage
            photo of him and his "second wife". On the back is the notation "Edward
            Anderson and his second wife". Well, that told me he married twice, but what
            were his wives' names? When was the picture taken? (I know it was taken in
            Glasgow because the portrait studio's address is stamped on the border.) I
            found Edward and one of the wives in the 1881 UK census, so I know the name
            of one of them, but which one? (When I get a look at some earlier census
            data, I may find some answers.)

            Fran Anderson
            Olympia, WA

          • NewPleione@aol.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 1, 2000
              Dear Tom et al.:
              Oh how I whole heartily agree with you comments about writing on the
              backs of photographs. We gave my mother-in-law a camera 25 years ago and she
              is now on her fourth, having worn out the others in snapping pics at every
              family gathering and event.

              Trouble is I have never been able to get her to label the negative envelopes
              or write on the photos. She has faithfully put them into albums so they are
              in chronological order. Most of us can go back and make educated guesses on
              time and place and recognize our own families. That won't last but another 20
              years so then what???

              I have found a way to label my bitmap and JPEG images. Not only do I name
              them surname, given name and year but both Picture Publisher and Print Shop
              allow me to add text over the image. I can even print it in the boarder I
              add. Then every time the photo is printed, it is labeled as well.

              These are my own efforts, if there are better suggestions on how to label our
              digitalized images, I am all ears!!

              By the way, I intend to use my 18 year old Pentax for many years to come and
              shoot in black and white or transfer the special negatives to black and
              white. We know they will last at least 120 years. My CD's my be unreadable by
              then.
            • Jack Henderson
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 1, 2000
                At 12:25 AM 7/1/00, you wrote:

                >If people were to adopt a simple task, that is, write carefully on the back
                >of the photo some details like where it was taken, and who is in the frame,
                >it would make future generations lives a bit happier, especially family
                >historians!
                >This also eradicates the problems associated with montages; I think Fake is
                >far too emotive a term.

                Be very careful and get a pencil or pen made specifically for this work. I
                work with a lot of pix from 60 to over 100 years old, and there is a very
                large amount of them show the pen or pencil markings coming through the
                print when I try to either copy or make scans of them.

                It might even not be visible to the casual viewer, but the camera or
                scanners see it.

                Jack
              • Jack Henderson
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 1, 2000
                  At 06:37 AM 7/1/00, you wrote:
                  >Tom is definitely going in the right direction, but I have a word of caution
                  >to all. Do not write on the backs of photographs with a ball point pen. Over
                  >time, the 'detergent' ink will bleed through to the emulsion side of the
                  >photograph causing ugly marks (usually red). Many of our so-called black
                  >'permanent' inks will do the same.
                  >
                  >Using an ordinary graphite lead pencil is better, but the plastic layer on the
                  >back of our modern photographic papers will usually not take lead pencil. The
                  >answer is to place a "peal and stick", not a "lick and stick", paper label on
                  >the back and write (with pencil to be safe) on it.
                  >
                  >Larry Keddy
                  >New Minas, Nova Scotia
                  >CANADA

                  Please no labels. The glue will soften the paper with time, and come
                  through as brown to the copy camera. Also stacked pix with labels usually
                  transfers the label to the next pix over time and heat.

                  Jack
                • tom
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 2, 2000
                    I think this is all sound advice. Care, special pens, special labels etc,
                    but I guess it depends who we are talking about.
                    Millions of people take photographs and if we could get one per cent to
                    identify the subject we would make a massive difference in the future.
                    I don't think it is reasonable to expect ordinary family photographers to
                    purchase these "special" items, mainly because they don't share our passion
                    for saving them for posterity.

                    If you are a genealogist ask yourself this:

                    A. Which would you prefer, a photograph of great grandma with writing on the
                    back stating who she is, but with a few marks on the front because of the
                    writing?
                    or
                    B. A perfect picture of great grandma but you are not sure who she is?

                    Tom

                    stir, stir
                    B-)

                    > >If people were to adopt a simple task, that is, write carefully on the
                    back
                    > >of the photo some details like where it was taken, and who is in the
                    frame,
                    > >it would make future generations lives a bit happier, especially family
                    > >historians!
                    > >This also eradicates the problems associated with montages; I think Fake
                    is
                    > >far too emotive a term.
                    >
                    > Be very careful and get a pencil or pen made specifically for this work.
                    > work with a lot of pix from 60 to over 100 years old, and there is a very
                    > large amount of them show the pen or pencil markings coming through the
                    > print when I try to either copy or make scans of them.
                    >
                    > It might even not be visible to the casual viewer, but the camera or
                    > scanners see it.
                    >
                    > Jack

                    > Visit Ancestry.com for a FREE 14-Day Trial and find your ancestors now.
                    > Search over 550 million names and trace your family tree today. Click
                    here:

                    > list admin: knoblock@... City Gallery: http://www.city-gallery.com/
                  • TLN
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 2, 2000
                      You forgot option "C".

                      C. A perfect photograph with identification on the back.

                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 2, 2000
                        At 07:07 AM 7/2/00, you wrote:
                        >You forgot option "C".
                        >
                        >C. A perfect photograph with identification on the back.
                        >
                        >On 2 Jul 00, at 8:36, tom wrote:

                        Now you have it. I do work also for business men and women, and boy do
                        they get mad if the writing on the back comes through to the front on
                        historical pix for their businesses.

                        Jack
                      • NewPleione@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jul 2, 2000
                          While perusing some photography books in a used book store the other day, I
                          ran across one devoted entirely to historical photos from W.W.II that had
                          been dodged and altered extensively to be more politically correct.

                          Several were of Hitler and his minions. Some of his associates fell out of
                          favor and were eliminated in subsequent publications of the photos. These
                          alterations are detectable to the trained eye, but similar treatments have
                          been given some of our own album entries and if we use them as documentation
                          of family history, etc., we may be misled.

                          It is not a new dilemma, it's just now the detection is more difficult. For
                          now, I am carefully storing my negatives. Transferring the best to black and
                          white and penciling in all names and dates available on the prints and
                          negative sleeves.

                          I have contacted some archival sites mentioned on this list and they have
                          sent some great catalogs of archival supplies. Some of us "Keepers" inherit
                          the job without asking for it. It is nice to have a list like this to give us
                          some pointers.

                          Melinda
                          Mesa, AZ