[genphoto] Re: Ambrotype Cleanup

  • Oscarsin@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 31, 2000
      The back of the photo glass has a dark brown stain. It looks as if that's
      the way it was supposed to be. The image appears to be on the front of the
      glass. The spots seem to be on the front side, although both are equally
      dirty.
    • Dvgagel@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 1, 2000
        If I were you, I would take it to a photograph conservator at a state
        historical society or university if one is near by to see what their
        diagnosis is of the stains you mentioned. The brown on the back is the paint
        used to make the image positive. Is it intact? If not, you might try
        putting a truly black piece of paper behind the image to see if that improves
        the viewing.
        RE: the front of the glass. Is there a stain somewhere that is not on the
        image part? IF so, you could try using distilled water on a soft cotton
        cloth and see if that takes it off.
      • LARRY KEDDY
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 1, 2000
          Dvgagel@... wrote:

          > If I were you, I would take it to a photograph conservator at a state
          > historical society or university if one is near by to see what their
          > diagnosis is of the stains you mentioned. .............

          ------------------------->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<-----------------------

          The above person (whomever they may be) is right. Unless you've had some
          experience and know what you are doing, you're better off to have a
          photorestoration expert do the job for you.
          A mistake on a Daguerreotype, Ambrotype or Tintype is unually not reversable.
          I've been in photorestoration for 12 years and the smartest thing I've learned
          so far is when to stop.

          Larry Keddy
          New Minas
          Nova Scotia
          Canada
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 7, 2000
            Here is some extra info on the Ambrotype:

            The ambrotype image requires a dark backing in order to be seen as a
            positive image. Some photographers used a sheet of dark card stock, but
            most coated the back of the glass. Some early ambrotypists merely lacquered
            the inside of the case. Others experimented with materials such as black
            velvet. The most common method was coating the back of the plate with black
            Japan lacquer.

            Often, it appears as if the ambrotype image is flaking off from the plate,
            but in most instances it is only the backing used to make the image appear
            positive that is deteriorating. This form of deterioration appears as a
            kind of mottling. After nearly 150 years, the lacquer backing has a
            tendency to crack and flake off.

            Most ambrotype plates were coated with black Japan lacquer on the side
            opposite the image. Exceptions are possible and some ambrotypists may have
            coated the image side. While such images are rare, O. Henry Mace in his
            Collector's Guide to Early Photographs (p. 67) warns that if you decide to
            scrape away the old black varnish from an ambrotype plate, you should be
            certain that the image is on the opposite side of the plate, and not under
            the varnish.

            The full article is on my web site.

            http://www.city-gallery.com/earlyphoto/research/ambrotypes_revisited.html

            BTW I noticed that a stray piece of HTML code was actually preventing my
            site search from working. Of all things, it was asking for your email
            address! Fixed now.

            Steve

            Steve Knoblock popular history
            editor@... of photography