Shoot Raw

  • HDM SHORT
    Message 1 of 6 , May 9 12:12 PM
      Hello All:
      I just shot some photos in the Raw format with my Nikon D-90 for the first time. I set the camera at NEF RAW + JPEG Fine. The JPEG'd opened fine. For the RAW shots a message came back "Wrong Format and the files would not open."

    • Gwen Hopkins
      Message 2 of 6 , May 18 9:37 PM
        Not sure if you have already received an answer about this or not.  when I shoot RAW with my olympus SDLR e-volt I have to open the photo's shot in Raw format with the Olympus photo editing program as that is the only program on my computer that will read them.  I'm sure that photo's shot with a Nikon camera in their Raw format would need to be opened with in a program provided by Nikon.

        Gwen Hopkins

        I just shot some photos in the Raw format with my Nikon D-90 for the first time. I set the camera at NEF RAW + JPEG Fine. The JPEG'd opened fine. For the RAW shots a message came back "Wrong Format and the files would not open."

      • Michael Stupinski
        Message 3 of 6 , May 19 4:35 AM
          You need a program with the capability to interpret the Nikon RAW file
          but, although the program may need to be written including code
          provided by Nikon to do it, many programs will read Nikon RAW files.
          Just some that will (these versions and later, although some older
          versions may not) include:

          Adobe Photoshop CS3
          Adobe Elements v3.0
          Apple Preview v4.2
          Apple iPhoto '09
          Picturesque v2.1.3

          .............Mike

          On May 19, 2010, at 12:37 AM, Gwen Hopkins wrote:

          > Not sure if you have already received an answer about this or not.
          > when I shoot RAW with my olympus SDLR e-volt I have to open the
          > photo's shot in Raw format with the Olympus photo editing program as
          > that is the only program on my computer that will read them. I'm
          > sure that photo's shot with a Nikon camera in their Raw format would
          > need to be opened with in a program provided by Nikon.
          >
          > Gwen Hopkins

        • HDM SHORT
          Message 4 of 6 , May 19 10:05 AM
            Thanks Gwen.
            I hadn't heard this before. I've been shooting digital for a long time and just trying to get started  with the RAW format. I heard that Photo Shop 8 will open the Nikon photos.
            I think you are right, I should get Nikon Capture. To bad there is not a program that will read RAW files from all cameras.
            Take care,
            Harry
            PS I like your e-mail handle.

            Message 5 of 6 , May 19 10:09 AM
              Mike:
              Thanks for your reply and information photoshop and others. Another person also responded.
              Harry

              You need a program with the capability to interpret the Nikon RAW file
              but, although the program may need to be written including code
              provided by Nikon to do it, many programs will read Nikon RAW files.
              Just some that will (these versions and later, although some older
              versions may not) include:

              Adobe Photoshop CS3
              Adobe Elements v3.0
              Apple Preview v4.2
              Apple iPhoto '09
              Picturesque v2.1.3

              .............Mike

              On May 19, 2010, at 12:37 AM, Gwen Hopkins wrote:

              > Not sure if you have already received an answer about this or not.
              > when I shoot RAW with my olympus SDLR e-volt I have to open the
              > photo's shot in Raw format with the Olympus photo editing program as
              > that is the only program on my computer that will read them. I'm
              > sure that photo's shot with a Nikon camera in their Raw format would
              > need to be opened with in a program provided by Nikon.
              >
              > Gwen Hopkins

            • John
              Message 6 of 6 , May 20 10:20 AM
                You should take a look at 'IRFANVIEW' a free program and set of plug-ins that allow opening many formats including RAW. You can find it at www.irfanview.com or by using any decent search engine.

                I have no affiliation with this program except as a satisfied user.

                John Zillwood
                Chilliwack, BC, Canada