Re: [genphoto] Glass Negatives

  • The Crows
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 9, 2010
      If your scanner does not have a negative/slide copy option, you can try
      placing the glass negative, glass to glass, with a piece of white paper
      on top. Then reverse the image with your software (negative or reverse
      image). This is a poor copy but you should be able to identify the scene
      and hopefully identify individuals. I used this method until I bought a
      scanner with the slide/negative option.(Epson V500).
      If you have a tripod for your digital camera, you could also prop the
      glass negative against a window, with a non-distracting view, and take a
      picture of it. Fill the screen as best you can. You will need a tripod
      because the exposure will be long. Use your software to reverse the
      image to a positive one.
      Neither is an archival method of working with your treasures, but it
      will be easier to see what you have and not too expensive.
      Good luck
      Evan

    • JerryABarb@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 9, 2010

      • JerryABarb@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 9, 2010
          Evan, thank you so much for a practical solution that I can understand. I
          will try both!

          Jerry

          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 10, 2010
            If you have a light box, like the ones used for viewing slides, and it
            is large enough, you can lay the glass negative on the box then
            photograph it using a digital camera. I feel a digital camera can be
            better than a scanner with a slide adapter unless it is very good
            quality. Set the camera up on a tripod. If the tripod has the ability
            to reach out sideways, and hold the camera upside down, you should be
            able to photograph the negative on the light box. Otherwise, what I do
            is reverse the tripod so the head hangs down and then turn the head so
            the camera can look straight down, place the legs over the light box.

            You can buy light boxes inexpensively. You do not need the expensive
            ones used by professionals. A 5 x 7 light box is $89 from B&H photo,
            but I've seen them on sale for as low as $49.

            I have a light box I made in the 70s for contact printing, from an old
            photostat copier, but that would be pretty hard to find these days. It
            has an array of little flashlight type bulbs and a milky sheet of
            plexiglass as a diffuser. It gives very even lighting, much better
            than traditional contact printers using a single light bulb and
            frosted glass.

            You can also try photographing the negatives against any diffuse light
            source, such as in front of a white lampshade. I suppose you might try
            making your own light box. You could take a card board box, cut a hole
            in the top, fit it with some kind of diffuser material, like the top
            of a tupperware box, lampshade material, a white sheet and put a light
            bulb in through the side. Just make sure the box is rigid enough to
            support the glass. You don't want to lose your previous negatives.

            Steve

            Steve Knoblock, Lead Developer, Folkstreams, Inc.
            http://folkstreams.net -- Films about American roots culture.
            Co-founder http://farmfoody.org -- Connecting you to farm and garden.
            Personal http://www.facebook.com/steve.knoblock
          • Larry Keddy
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 10, 2010
              I have copied hundreds of large format negatives and glass plate
              negatives, and have always used the light box with camera and tripod
              to make the digital file, which is then followed by reversal in
              Photoshop.

              Larry Keddy
              LARK PhotoGraphic Services
              New MInas, NS, Canada

            • JerryABarb@aol.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 11, 2010
                I've received several suggestions for viewng my glass negatives, and plan
                to try them all. Many thanks for the easy to understand, non-technical
                suggestions. I think I can even do it! Thanks again. Jerry