Glass Negatives

  • JerryABarb@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 9, 2010
      I have a collection of glass negatives I'd like to see. I have no
      knowledge in photography other than using a digital camera. I do have a simple
      scanner. Is there any way I can take a peek at these negatives without
      complicated equipment??

      Thanks

      Jerry

    • The Crows
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 9, 2010
        If your scanner does not have a negative/slide copy option, you can try
        placing the glass negative, glass to glass, with a piece of white paper
        on top. Then reverse the image with your software (negative or reverse
        image). This is a poor copy but you should be able to identify the scene
        and hopefully identify individuals. I used this method until I bought a
        scanner with the slide/negative option.(Epson V500).
        If you have a tripod for your digital camera, you could also prop the
        glass negative against a window, with a non-distracting view, and take a
        picture of it. Fill the screen as best you can. You will need a tripod
        because the exposure will be long. Use your software to reverse the
        image to a positive one.
        Neither is an archival method of working with your treasures, but it
        will be easier to see what you have and not too expensive.
        Good luck
        Evan

      • JerryABarb@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 9, 2010

        • JerryABarb@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 9, 2010
            Evan, thank you so much for a practical solution that I can understand. I
            will try both!

            Jerry

            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 10, 2010
              If you have a light box, like the ones used for viewing slides, and it
              is large enough, you can lay the glass negative on the box then
              photograph it using a digital camera. I feel a digital camera can be
              better than a scanner with a slide adapter unless it is very good
              quality. Set the camera up on a tripod. If the tripod has the ability
              to reach out sideways, and hold the camera upside down, you should be
              able to photograph the negative on the light box. Otherwise, what I do
              is reverse the tripod so the head hangs down and then turn the head so
              the camera can look straight down, place the legs over the light box.

              You can buy light boxes inexpensively. You do not need the expensive
              ones used by professionals. A 5 x 7 light box is $89 from B&H photo,
              but I've seen them on sale for as low as $49.

              I have a light box I made in the 70s for contact printing, from an old
              photostat copier, but that would be pretty hard to find these days. It
              has an array of little flashlight type bulbs and a milky sheet of
              plexiglass as a diffuser. It gives very even lighting, much better
              than traditional contact printers using a single light bulb and
              frosted glass.

              You can also try photographing the negatives against any diffuse light
              source, such as in front of a white lampshade. I suppose you might try
              making your own light box. You could take a card board box, cut a hole
              in the top, fit it with some kind of diffuser material, like the top
              of a tupperware box, lampshade material, a white sheet and put a light
              bulb in through the side. Just make sure the box is rigid enough to
              support the glass. You don't want to lose your previous negatives.

              Steve

              Steve Knoblock, Lead Developer, Folkstreams, Inc.
              http://folkstreams.net -- Films about American roots culture.
              Co-founder http://farmfoody.org -- Connecting you to farm and garden.
              Personal http://www.facebook.com/steve.knoblock
            • Larry Keddy
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 10, 2010
                I have copied hundreds of large format negatives and glass plate
                negatives, and have always used the light box with camera and tripod
                to make the digital file, which is then followed by reversal in
                Photoshop.

                Larry Keddy
                LARK PhotoGraphic Services
                New MInas, NS, Canada

              • JerryABarb@aol.com
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 11, 2010
                  I've received several suggestions for viewng my glass negatives, and plan
                  to try them all. Many thanks for the easy to understand, non-technical
                  suggestions. I think I can even do it! Thanks again. Jerry