Scanning Photos

  • LisaHBskt@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 3, 2008
      I have just inherited 4 large boxes of photos from my husbands Aunt.

      Its time I get serious about scanning these and getting them organized. My
      questions are:

      I have an HP All in One 5510 which I will likely keep for documents but need
      a recommendation for a photo scanner. I'd like one that can also scan
      slides and negatives including the older large sized negatives. I could spend
      about $200.

      Secondly, what is the optimum dpi for scanning each photo for quality
      computer storage and possible later reproductions and what file format will provide
      the best long term (relatively speaking) use.

      I await your sage advice.

      Lisa Harley
      La Crescenta, CA

    • Ruth Harvey
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 3, 2008
        Lisa:

        Hi. I just finished scanning some old negatives I found in my mother's
        things, some large, about 3 X 5. I use an Epson Perfection 4870 Photo,
        which I love. I don't recall the cost, and there is one flatbed a
        little more advanced from Epson that I will get if this one dies, but I
        couldn't be happier with my scans. Both come with digital ice built in,
        which is great. I don't believe mine is available any more, but search
        Amazon.com for an Epson Perfection 4490 or V500, both I think in your
        price range.

        Aren't the old photos wonderful? Mine were taken in the very early
        1900s by my grandparents.

        Ruth

        LisaHBskt@... wrote:
        > I have just inherited 4 large boxes of photos from my husbands Aunt.
        >
        > Its time I get serious about scanning these and getting them organized. My
        > questions are:
        >
        > I have an HP All in One 5510 which I will likely keep for documents but need
        > a recommendation for a photo scanner. I'd like one that can also scan
        > slides and negatives including the older large sized negatives. I could spend
        > about $200.
        >
        > Secondly, what is the optimum dpi for scanning each photo for quality
        > computer storage and possible later reproductions and what file format will provide
        > the best long term (relatively speaking) use.
        >
        > I await your sage advice.
        >
        > Lisa Harley
        > La Crescenta, CA

      • Sailors Ravine Studio
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 3, 2008
          Hi Lisa, if your 5510 has a flatbed you could get "negative holders" by searching the web for "scanner accessories" but... if you have $200 for a new scanner you could get a scanner with better dpi and higher bits color depth. You could just web compare in your price range. I like to look for the highest numbers. Here's another "but..." remember to check the specifictions to make sure it'll work with your computer. Also you need to consider how you will store these, for example you'll probably need to be able to burn DVD's. A salesman once told me that you may find comparable numbers for dpi and bits but the price range can vary greatly based on the software and accessories included. If you are comfortable with restoring images and already have good photo software you could probably get a less expensive scanner with accessories. Just my thoughts I'm not an expert. You are very lucky, by the way, to get those photos.

          Danielle
          http://sailorsravinestudio.blogspot.com/

          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 4, 2008
            Hi Lisa
            I'm sure you will get many reconmadation for photo scaners but an all in one will scan your photo's just as well as a photo only scaner, neg, and slides not so well of course. 300dpi is high enough to print 1 to 1,  if you want to print larger than the original you might want to save it in a higher dpi.  Save your photo's in a TIFF format for best reporduction.  JPEG or GIF will work too but not quite as well.

            Be smart and make file folders and organize your photo's as you go so that you don't have to go back and do it later.  (I learned the hard way).

            I also have an external hard drive for my photo's and save them on dvd's as well so that I have back up's.

            Good Luck

            Gwen

            ************ **Gas prices getting you down? Search AOL Autos for
            fuel-efficient used cars. (http://autos. aol.com/used? ncid=aolaut00050 000000007)