photographer in Virginia

  • Carla G
    Message 1 of 4 , May 15 1:44 PM
      Hello everyone,
      My name is Carla and I'm new to this group.
      I do photo archiving for my family and for placement in historical societies
      [I love finding pictures of ancestors!]
      Hope to share lots of info with everyone.
      Anyway, I was given a picture of my great-great-great-grandfather James
      Samuel Hicks from Washington County, Tenn. As far as I know, he never lived
      anywhere else then Washington Co., TN. But he was in the Civil War.
      This cabnit card picture of him has Gate City, Virginia on the bottom and
      the photographer's name is Shipley. I found out Gate City is in Scott
      County, Virginia, but I couldn't find anything about a photostudio or
      photographer named Shipley in the area.

      Anybody know anything about Scott County Virginia photographers or where I
      could look for info about them?

      Thanks!
      Carla
      --
      It's not just Life-
      It's an Adventure!

    • sailorsravinestudio
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 9, 2008
        Hi Carla, how lucky you are to get that photo. I cannot help you
        myself but I would look up the museums and historical societies in
        Gate City and contact them. Maybe Gate City was the closest big town
        to your ggggrandfather or he went there for a special occation. Good
        luck.
        Danielle
      • Carla G
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 10, 2008
          Hi Danielle,
          Yea. I was cheered when Lindy send me a copy.
          I guess your right, because those books and sites I've gone through have
          resulted in nothing as far as local photog info.
          Just hoping I'd get an easy answer I guess.
          Thanks for writing!
          Carla

          On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 10:27 PM, sailorsravinestudio <
          sailorsravinestudio@...> wrote:

          > Hi Carla, how lucky you are to get that photo. I cannot help you
          > myself but I would look up the museums and historical societies in
          > Gate City and contact them. Maybe Gate City was the closest big town
          > to your ggggrandfather or he went there for a special occation. Good
          > luck.
          > Danielle

        • greensandnettles
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 21, 2009
            Carla, have you tried contacting the local historical society & public library local history library? There may be a city directory that would list your photographer.

            http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~vaschs2/index.htm
            http://genealogytrails.com/vir/scott/
            http://vagenweb.org/scott/

            Stacye in Virginia