Re: [genphoto] scanning photos

  • callfosh@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 20 7:39 PM
      I have had hundreds of my own and others' negatives and slides scanned by Photomax (Provo, Utah).? The images are?put on CD and archived in a computer system located in a granite vault in the Wasatch Mountains.? Great quality and prices.?The company also offers special pricing for bulk orders.?You are welcome to contact me directly if you want more information or call the company at (800) 487-2020.

      Kathy

      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 21 5:05 AM
        I think this Hammacher only works with Windows.
        On Apr 20, 2008, at 10:26 PM, Wilbur Russell wrote:

        > you may be in luck, there was an ad in the KC star for a device
        > which sells for $99.95 that is called a slide and negative digital
        > pic converter . this can be found at www.hammacher.com/slide use
        > code 500821 it does require USB 2. let us know if this works out for
        > you
        > Wilbur D. Russell
        > Leavenworth, Ks

      • Janice Woolley
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 21 11:37 AM
          thanks - I'll look at it. I am inclined to use a scanning service if I
          find one that is reasonable.

          Janice

          On Apr 20, 2008, at 7:26 PM, Wilbur Russell wrote:

          > you may be in luck, there was an ad in the KC star for a device
          > which sells for $99.95 that is called a slide and negative digital
          > pic converter . this can be found at www.hammacher.com/slide use
          > code 500821 it does require USB 2. let us know if this works out for
          > you
          > Wilbur D. Russell
          > Leavenworth, Ks
        • Sandra S Jones
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 21 12:30 PM
            Hewlett-Packart makes a scanner that has a holder in the lid; I think you can also buy an adapter for some existing scanners. Quality I don't know. ssjones Brighton IL
            I have a very similar question. What about scanning 35mm negatives?
            How long does it take if you do it yourself? What does a good slide/
            negative scanner cost and who makes one? Who does it commercially?

            On Apr 20, 2008, at 6:18 PM, Janice Woolley wrote:

            > Hi,
            > I am a newcomer to this list. I recently acquired about 2000 slides
            > taken of my family, plus probably 1000 from my husband's family, not
            > to mention "our" slide collection of our children. The volume is
            > overwhelming as I read that an estimated time to clean off dust and
            > scan is 4 minutes a slide. I also have old B&W photos. My goal is to
            > sort these, choose the best and scan to DVD for distribution to
            > family. My questions are:
            >
            > 1. Have any of you used a reliable commercial service to do the
            > scanning? If so who?
            > 2. What is your estimate of the time per slide and/or photo to do an
            > adequate scan?
            > 3. What scanner is recommended?
            >
            > Thanks so much for sharing your experience.
            >
            > Janice Woolley
            > Seattle WA

          • Leslie C
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 21 12:43 PM
              I have a HP all in one model 3210 and I can scan slides and 35mm negatives.
              I personally scanned over 600 slides for my aunt, 4 at a time. It took a bit
              of time to do, but I wasn't under any time constraints. The quality is
              pretty good in my opinion. There are a lot of scanners from Epson, Canon and
              HP that have the slide attachment. It is really easy to do. I then took the
              finished slides, and put them into a power point presentation for one family
              member and then on a DVD for my parents. It was really cool.

              Hope this helps

              Leslie
            • Nanacy Weber
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 24 8:46 AM
                I have had success using the Canon 9950. I have scanned slides, glass negatives and various photos. It has excellent resolution and can scan up to 30 slides at a time. That particular model may be discontinued, but Canon will have a similar new model.

                Nancy

                Leslie C <impalin03@...> wrote: I have a HP all in one model 3210 and I can scan slides and 35mm negatives.

                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 24 1:35 PM
                  Thanks for your input.