Photographing documents

  • Bill & Christine
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 31, 2007
      Best to use a Single Lens Reflex (SLR). This allows
      the photographer to see thru the lens instead of using
      a range finder which is mounted above or to the left
      of the lens. Using the range finder your print will
      not be square. Using the SLR, you will see what will
      be on the film or in the digital memory bank.

      Bill and Christine

      --- captainwierd2003 <crow39@...> wrote:

      > --- In genphoto@yahoogroups.com, "nlhelms"
      > <nlhelms@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Perhaps this question has been covered in an
      > earlier posting, but I
      > > haven't found it yet....
      > >
      > > I just met a new-to-me second cousin who has a
      > treasure trove of old
      > > photographs, brittle documents, yellow newspaper
      > obit's, etc. Many of
      > > the photographs are in magnetic albums and appear
      > to be fused to the
      > > plastic. Others are in very old black paper
      > albums.
      > >
      > > What is the best way for me to copy these items?
      > Scan? Take photos
      > with
      > > my camera? If we can, I assume it's best to lift
      > the plastic covering;
      > > otherwise, how do you minimize the effect of the
      > plastic either
      > > scanning or photographing?
      > >
      > > Thank you for any suggestions.
      > > Nancy Helms
      > >
      > Nancy,
      > For me, the best bet is : cloudy day in the shade
      > using either digital
      > or 35mm film camera to copy. Digital would be the
      > most economical and
      > you can see immediately what you have.
      >
      > Leave the originals as they are. You can photograph
      > them through the
      > plastic cover.
      > Use a tripod for the camera and some sort of easel
      > for the pix. It is
      > important that both camera and image are in parallel
      > planes to keep from
      > distorting the image.
      >
      > Frame the image edge as close to the edge of your
      > viewfinder as you can
      > get.
      >
      > E-mail me, if you don't fully understand and I will
      > try to give you a
      > short lesson on photoduplication. Also I would like
      > to know more about
      > your Helms line. My gr grandmother was a Helms - so.
      > central AL.
      > Evan Crow

      > IT MAY TAKE SOME TIME BEFORE MAIL STOPS! ASK YAHOO
      > ABOUT IT! NOT ME!
      > Contact list owner:
      > http://www.city-gallery.com/contact/

      Got a little couch potato?