New member question

  • nlhelms
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 31, 2007
      Perhaps this question has been covered in an earlier posting, but I
      haven't found it yet....

      I just met a new-to-me second cousin who has a treasure trove of old
      photographs, brittle documents, yellow newspaper obit's, etc. Many of
      the photographs are in magnetic albums and appear to be fused to the
      plastic. Others are in very old black paper albums.

      What is the best way for me to copy these items? Scan? Take photos with
      my camera? If we can, I assume it's best to lift the plastic covering;
      otherwise, how do you minimize the effect of the plastic either
      scanning or photographing?

      Thank you for any suggestions.
      Nancy Helms
    • captainwierd2003
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 31, 2007
        --- In genphoto@yahoogroups.com, "nlhelms" <nlhelms@...> wrote:

        > Perhaps this question has been covered in an earlier posting, but I
        > haven't found it yet....
        >
        > I just met a new-to-me second cousin who has a treasure trove of old
        > photographs, brittle documents, yellow newspaper obit's, etc. Many of
        > the photographs are in magnetic albums and appear to be fused to the
        > plastic. Others are in very old black paper albums.
        >
        > What is the best way for me to copy these items? Scan? Take photos
        with
        > my camera? If we can, I assume it's best to lift the plastic covering;
        > otherwise, how do you minimize the effect of the plastic either
        > scanning or photographing?
        >
        > Thank you for any suggestions.
        > Nancy Helms

        Nancy,
        For me, the best bet is : cloudy day in the shade using either digital
        or 35mm film camera to copy. Digital would be the most economical and
        you can see immediately what you have.

        Leave the originals as they are. You can photograph them through the
        plastic cover.
        Use a tripod for the camera and some sort of easel for the pix. It is
        important that both camera and image are in parallel planes to keep from
        distorting the image.

        Frame the image edge as close to the edge of your viewfinder as you can
        get.

        E-mail me, if you don't fully understand and I will try to give you a
        short lesson on photoduplication. Also I would like to know more about
        your Helms line. My gr grandmother was a Helms - so. central AL.
        Evan Crow
      • Bill & Christine
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 31, 2007
          Best to use a Single Lens Reflex (SLR). This allows
          the photographer to see thru the lens instead of using
          a range finder which is mounted above or to the left
          of the lens. Using the range finder your print will
          not be square. Using the SLR, you will see what will
          be on the film or in the digital memory bank.

          Bill and Christine

          --- captainwierd2003 <crow39@...> wrote:

          > --- In genphoto@yahoogroups.com, "nlhelms"
          > <nlhelms@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Perhaps this question has been covered in an
          > earlier posting, but I
          > > haven't found it yet....
          > >
          > > I just met a new-to-me second cousin who has a
          > treasure trove of old
          > > photographs, brittle documents, yellow newspaper
          > obit's, etc. Many of
          > > the photographs are in magnetic albums and appear
          > to be fused to the
          > > plastic. Others are in very old black paper
          > albums.
          > >
          > > What is the best way for me to copy these items?
          > Scan? Take photos
          > with
          > > my camera? If we can, I assume it's best to lift
          > the plastic covering;
          > > otherwise, how do you minimize the effect of the
          > plastic either
          > > scanning or photographing?
          > >
          > > Thank you for any suggestions.
          > > Nancy Helms
          > >
          > Nancy,
          > For me, the best bet is : cloudy day in the shade
          > using either digital
          > or 35mm film camera to copy. Digital would be the
          > most economical and
          > you can see immediately what you have.
          >
          > Leave the originals as they are. You can photograph
          > them through the
          > plastic cover.
          > Use a tripod for the camera and some sort of easel
          > for the pix. It is
          > important that both camera and image are in parallel
          > planes to keep from
          > distorting the image.
          >
          > Frame the image edge as close to the edge of your
          > viewfinder as you can
          > get.
          >
          > E-mail me, if you don't fully understand and I will
          > try to give you a
          > short lesson on photoduplication. Also I would like
          > to know more about
          > your Helms line. My gr grandmother was a Helms - so.
          > central AL.
          > Evan Crow

          > IT MAY TAKE SOME TIME BEFORE MAIL STOPS! ASK YAHOO
          > ABOUT IT! NOT ME!
          > Contact list owner:
          > http://www.city-gallery.com/contact/

          Got a little couch potato?