RE: [genphoto] Printing Old Copyrighted Photos

  • Arleen
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 3, 2007
      A number of years ago I needed a copy of a studio picture of unknown
      cousins. Wanted to send a copy to some relatives to id those in the
      picture. The problem I had was the picture was taken about 1950 in
      Lithuania. No one at the time would make a copy for me without a
      release. I went home wrote a letter in Lithuanian (knowing the guy at
      the copyshop would never be able to read it) placed it in an envelope
      from Europe and brought that letter and the picture back to have copies
      made. No questions were asked and copies were made :)
      Arleen

      I tried to get some old family photos copied at my local Walmart, and
      they refused because of the copyright issue. I tried to explain that
      these were personal, family photos and were well outside the usual 75
      year (at least that's what I understood) statute of limitations on
      copyrights. But it did no good. It's all moot to me now since I have
      a new scanner and was able to copy them myself. I only wanted them to
      copy and put them on disk so that I could have copies on my computer.
      My scanner had died at the time, but now I have shiny new one and have
      scanned what I need.

      Elaine in the Beautiful Missouri Ozarks

      On 7/3/07, Wylie E. Coyote, Supergenius <HYPERLINK
      "mailto:ghmceuen%40charter.net"ghmceuen@charter.-net> wrote:
      > Wow. I wonder if that varies from store to store as far as whether or
      not they enforce it. I've used both my local Walmart and the upload
      service at Walmart.com as well as the service at Samsclub.com and never
      had that happen.

      > Hester

      Checked by AVG Free Edition.
      10:02 AM

      Checked by AVG Free Edition.
      10:02 AM

    • HDM SHORT
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 3, 2007
        Arleen:

        Why not just copy your old studio family photographs with your digital camera since they are your personal family property. Print you own photos. I've never had trouble getting prints or copies made of old studio photos at Walmart.

        Walmart and others are concerned about copyright issues but they should be able to see by the photo that they weren't stolden form the Museum of Fine Arts.

        Harry

        Arleen <as_esu@...> wrote:
        A number of years ago I needed a copy of a studio picture of unknown
        cousins. Wanted to send a copy to some relatives to id those in the
        picture. The problem I had was the picture was taken about 1950 in
        Lithuania. No one at the time would make a copy for me without a
        release. I went home wrote a letter in Lithuanian (knowing the guy at
        the copyshop would never be able to read it) placed it in an envelope
        from Europe and brought that letter and the picture back to have copies
        made. No questions were asked and copies were made :)
        Arleen

        I tried to get some old family photos copied at my local Walmart, and
        they refused because of the copyright issue. I tried to explain that
        these were personal, family photos and were well outside the usual 75
        year (at least that's what I understood) statute of limitations on
        copyrights. But it did no good. It's all moot to me now since I have
        a new scanner and was able to copy them myself. I only wanted them to
        copy and put them on disk so that I could have copies on my computer.
        My scanner had died at the time, but now I have shiny new one and have
        scanned what I need.

        Elaine in the Beautiful Missouri Ozarks

        On 7/3/07, Wylie E. Coyote, Supergenius <HYPERLINK
        "mailto:ghmceuen%40charter.net"ghmceuen@charter.-net> wrote:
        > Wow. I wonder if that varies from store to store as far as whether or
        not they enforce it. I've used both my local Walmart and the upload
        service at Walmart.com as well as the service at Samsclub.com and never
        had that happen.

        > Hester

        Checked by AVG Free Edition.
        10:02 AM

        Checked by AVG Free Edition.
        10:02 AM

      • Arleen
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 3, 2007
          This was well before I owned a digital camera and I know it had to be
          before my 1st scanner too. Thinking about this now it had to be about
          1997 or 98. Time sure flies when your having fun!
          Arleen

          Arleen <HYPERLINK "mailto:as_esu%40comcast.net"as_esu@comcast.-net>
          wrote:
          A number of years ago I needed a copy of a studio picture of unknown
          cousins. Wanted to send a copy to some relatives to id those in the
          picture. The problem I had was the picture was taken about 1950 in
          Lithuania. No one at the time would make a copy for me without a
          release. I went home wrote a letter in Lithuanian (knowing the guy at
          the copyshop would never be able to read it) placed it in an envelope
          from Europe and brought that letter and the picture back to have copies
          made. No questions were asked and copies were made :)
          Arleen

          I tried to get some old family photos copied at my local Walmart, and
          they refused because of the copyright issue. I tried to explain that
          these were personal, family photos and were well outside the usual 75
          year (at least that's what I understood) statute of limitations on
          copyrights. But it did no good. It's all moot to me now since I have
          a new scanner and was able to copy them myself. I only wanted them to
          copy and put them on disk so that I could have copies on my computer.
          My scanner had died at the time, but now I have shiny new one and have
          scanned what I need.

          Elaine in the Beautiful Missouri Ozarks

          On 7/3/07, Wylie E. Coyote, Supergenius <HYPERLINK
          "mailto:ghmceuen%-40charter.-net"ghmceuen@-charter.--net> wrote:
          > Wow. I wonder if that varies from store to store as far as whether or
          not they enforce it. I've used both my local Walmart and the upload
          service at Walmart.com as well as the service at Samsclub.com and never
          had that happen.

          > Hester

          Checked by AVG Free Edition.
          10:02 AM

          Checked by AVG Free Edition.
          10:02 AM

          Checked by AVG Free Edition.
          10:02 AM

          Checked by AVG Free Edition.
          10:02 AM

        • Pat
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 4, 2007
            I have found another way to get around this annoyance. At some
            Walmarts and other stores, there are kiosks where you are able to scan
            your photograph directly into the printing device. You scan it, then
            edit it, and then you can print it at the kiosk in several different
            sizes. I think these are Kodak kiosks. I agree that with old family
            photographs, and especially with studios that may not even exist any
            more, these questions of copyright are totally moot.

            Pat (New to group)
          • Bill & Christine
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 5, 2007
              The way it was explained to us. If you are going to
              make any money off a copyrighted item you first need
              the author or owners permission first.

              If you are going to download that item into your
              computer for history use only and you are the only
              person that may view this item. Permission is not
              needed. Unless this has changed, this is the way we
              proceed.
              CNB

              Looking for earth-friendly autos?
              http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center/