Re: vintage WW-I roll photo, how?

  • DJackson
    Message 1 of 3 , May 3, 2007
      You are smart not to try and unroll the image. I'm sure you can probably hear it cracking
      as you try. Here is a method I used for the same type problem.
      I also found a panoramic 'doughboys' image that measured roughly 18x48. The old photo
      had been glued to a board and was rough shape. It was separating from the board and
      was cracking.
      My solution was to soak it and the board in a large sink initially to release the image and
      prevent additional cracking of the image. The glue used was particularly resistant to
      softening.
      I used photographic developer as a softener and after several hours was able to seperate
      the board from the print. The print had quite a coat of dirt, smoke, etc which the
      developer removed.
      I used a light acid stop bath and a very dilute fix bath to remove all developer. An hour or
      more rinse with hypo eliminator and air dried on a screen frame to reduce curling.
      I dry mounted the print to a foam board and then framed it. It was a lot of work, but it is a
      great treasure that should be preserved.
      You need a sink or water tight box or frame larger than the image. Yes, you can still buy
      photographic chemicals. Take your time and good luck.