Re: Web albums

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 30, 2007
      Thanks for sharing your experiences with online photo sharing.

      I am glad to hear the online photo sites are using the meta data
      contained within the images. It has been a long time since I looked
      into this issue, long before EXIF became popular and there was no
      standard and few editors could be relied upon to maintain the meta
      data across saves. I did notice flickr was using the tag data from
      Elements. I hope the meta data will migrate to the next file format
      should there be one.

      That reminds me. I do not have many images stored in the format, but I
      cannot find any software to open and save my old Picture Publisher
      images (PPF), which is orphan software. It was the leading competitor
      to Photoshop on Windows for many years, but that apparently did not
      help the format to be widely available. I am glad that I used to
      always save duplicates in TIFF (at least most of the time). I made
      sure my first digital camera supported saving in TIFF for the same
      reason (before RAW was widely available in consumer cameras). So far
      support for TIFF has been steady. JPEG will probably continue to be
      developed for a long time with many converters available.

      I wanted to develop my Mangold Family Album into a album with links to
      historical data and family documents, which I did by hand to some
      degree, but I have never had time to automate it. It would be very
      unlikely many genealogists could use such a tool since a) it would not
      be liked to a genealogy database tree b) most cannot install and
      configure software to their own personal website.

      BTW Web Album Generator is nice new album generator I found. It only
      does JPEG images. I previously used the one in Adobe Elements for
      generating static albums but they replaced it with a Flash based album
      I do not like.

      http://www.ornj.net/

      Steve

      Back to our regularly scheduled programming...for(i=0;i<=10;i++) { print i }