vintage WW-I roll photo, how?

  • kudzufamhistory
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 23, 2007
      I have obtained a vintage WW-I era military unit photograph, a long photo in
      a roll (It can be seen at link below). I need help determining best method
      to unroll without additional damage so I can scan - or not to do so, etc.

      http://sc-unknown-pictures.blogspot.com/2007/04/pic-17.html

      Your insight is appreciated.
    • Ken Allen
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 30, 2007
        Try contacting this conservation organisation:

        http://www.ccaha.org/contact.php

        They mostly deal with museums, galleries and collectors, but I hope
        they would consider your project also.

        Good luck.

        Ken Allen
        kenallenstudios.com

        --- In genphoto@yahoogroups.com, "kudzufamhistory"
        <kudzufamhistory@...> wrote:

        > I have obtained a vintage WW-I era military unit photograph, a long
        photo in
        > a roll (It can be seen at link below). I need help determining best
        method
        > to unroll without additional damage so I can scan - or not to do so,
        etc.

        > http://sc-unknown-pictures.blogspot.com/2007/04/pic-17.html
        >
        > Your insight is appreciated.

      • DJackson
        Message 3 of 3 , May 3, 2007
          You are smart not to try and unroll the image. I'm sure you can probably hear it cracking
          as you try. Here is a method I used for the same type problem.
          I also found a panoramic 'doughboys' image that measured roughly 18x48. The old photo
          had been glued to a board and was rough shape. It was separating from the board and
          was cracking.
          My solution was to soak it and the board in a large sink initially to release the image and
          prevent additional cracking of the image. The glue used was particularly resistant to
          softening.
          I used photographic developer as a softener and after several hours was able to seperate
          the board from the print. The print had quite a coat of dirt, smoke, etc which the
          developer removed.
          I used a light acid stop bath and a very dilute fix bath to remove all developer. An hour or
          more rinse with hypo eliminator and air dried on a screen frame to reduce curling.
          I dry mounted the print to a foam board and then framed it. It was a lot of work, but it is a
          great treasure that should be preserved.
          You need a sink or water tight box or frame larger than the image. Yes, you can still buy
          photographic chemicals. Take your time and good luck.