Re: [genphoto] Lost Family Photos - Morgan

  • Cecelia
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 30 12:32 PM
      Connie,
      You might take those to a museum or university where they house local history collections. A large library might also help.
      Is that Lancaster, Texas? I wasn't quite clear on what state they were found in.
      The picture could have been stolen when a house was vandalized and the pictures dropped or discarded as not valuable (that happened to me. Lost everything I had, except what was at my mother's house, or what I had with me.Losing my old pictures, funeral records, and books, was worse than losing my furniture and clothes!)
      It could have been dropped when someone was moving.
      Possibly, it was thrown away by someone who was trying to clear out old things.
      Maybe the people lived in an occupied place close to the empty lot.
      Lots of possibilities.
      But, if you can't find the original family, I imagine that a museum or library would like to have them for their collection. Especially since there is some information on the pictures.
      Another option might be to look for a message board for the surname Morgan. You have probably done that already, but it was a thought.
      There was a Morgan family in my hometown of Calvert, Texas. They have about all died out, now, like many of the older families. There was a grand daughter, but I don't know what happened to her.
      Good luck in your search. You have written a nice story from your detective work!
      Cecelia

      The local newpaper where I live ran a story on the photos I found.
      There was very little info to go on .After researching, the paper
      and I, came up with these clues. Any info or ideas, I would be
      greatful.Nice to meet you all, and thank you for your time.I
      posted photos under Lost Morgon Family.
      --------- Mr. or Ms. Morgan: Please come and claim your Great-Aunt
      Kate Or her photo, at least A black-and-white portrait of Kate
      Morgan, taken in 1881, is one of 20 old photographs found by east
      Lancaster resident Connie Lewis in September in a dirt lot near her
      home. She shared the photos with the Valley Press recently in hope
      of reuniting them with their owner. The discovery
      The story begins on a sunny late summer day when Lewis took her
      children bicycling at the dirt lot next to the Lancaster National
      Soccer Center on 30th Street East at Avenue L.
      They hadn't gone far when one of the children spotted a flat, brown
      paper package lying in the dirt. It was blank on the outside, so
      they opened it.Inside, they found an old multi-photo frame encasing
      20 black-and-white and sepia prints.
      "The frame and glass were all broken, but the photos were fine,"
      Lewis said. Ignoring advice to leave the photos or throw them away,
      Lewis brought them home. She pieced together what information she
      could from notes jotted on the backs of photos, and from a cryptic
      list

      on a sheet of notepaper inside the back of the frame.
      She concluded several of the people in the photographs had the
      surname Morgan, and the photos were taken between 1869 and 1930.
      "To keep them that long, they must have meant something to
      somebody," Lewis said. Nowhere did she find a name or address for
      the owner, however.Unsure what else to do, she put the photos into
      an album for safekeeping, and started hunting for the missing
      Morgans.

      Now we pass the torch on to you, our readers. Take a good look at
      the photos and descriptions and, if you can, help us find their
      home.
      The 20 photographs include portraits, outdoor snapshots from Texas,
      postcard.They' re a visual tour through an America in transition,
      starting with a playing card-sized portrait of a David Morgan and
      his wife: Mr. Morgan sports an Abe Lincoln beard, and Mrs. Morgan
      sits stiffly in the heavy layers of clothing that leave only her
      hands, face and a bit of a boot-covered toe exposed to view. This is
      the American family in 1869, the year Ulysses S. Grant was
      inaugurated president to oversee a nation healing from the wounds of
      the Civil War. From there, jump ahead to 1918 and a postcard picture
      of two young men in World War I uniforms, sitting in front of an
      American flag backdrop. The postmark on the back is from Fortress
      Monroe, Va.,and it's addressed to Mrs. D.M. Morgan of Chicago.
      (Incidentally, the postcard stamp cost 1 cent.) Two more photos,
      these of "Dad" and a friend, are of men in uniform from the same
      period. This is America's new generation, ready for a war "to end
      all wars." The war is over and the Roaring '20s have begun when we
      reach a whimsical photo of two young women, "Mom and Aunt Helen,"
      playing with a garden hose in a grassy back yard. The girls' short-
      sleeved, low-necked dresses stop well above the knee, making the two
      a giggling, giddy spectacle that would no doubt have scandalized
      Grandma Morgan. The latest photo, with a note saying it was taken
      about 1930, shows the same two women with outrageously wide, short
      perms posing with a well-dressed man, "Uncle Warner," in front of an
      automobile in the driveway. Although the ladies look a bit silly by
      today's fashion standards, the message of success and prosperity is
      clear: the Great Depression and a second World War have yet to touch
      their lives. Perhaps the only other photo that needs mentioning is
      that of an oil well, dated 1909 on the back of the photograph but
      listed as "West Texas Gusher - 1921" on the notepad.
      The word "Breckenridge" (Texas) on a photo of "Dad's company car"
      makes it likely that this is a shot of one of the oil wells owned
      by the Walker-Caldwell Oil Co., founded in 1917, in the vicinity of
      Breckenridge. It's also quite possible that "Dad" Morgan worked for
      the oil company either right before or right after the Great War.
      Facts, myths, rabbit trails The big question is, how did these
      photos end up in a desert lot in Lancaster?

      thanks again connie

    • connie lewis
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 7, 2007
        --- In genphoto@yahoogroups.com, Nancy Chesnutt <ngchesnutt@...> wrote:

        > Lancaster but which state? I know of at least three and perhaps
        there
        > are more.

        hi i just got message sorry it is lancaster,calif