Re: [genphoto] Little boys dressed as girls in 1900's photos?

  • Cecelia
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 26, 2007
      Yes, they dressed little boys like little girls in the past. I have several photos of little boys in what we would consider to be girls' clothing today.
      My dad was born in 1911 and his mother dressed him in frilly white outfits when he was small. When I was growing up, I was just horrified when she would show me what all was in her dresser drawer. Among those things was a box that she kept with his curls from his first haircut. He had long, Shirley Temple-type curls and didn't have a haircut until he was 8 years old.
      Until I saw all these other photos of boys in dresses, I thought that my grandmother just spoiled him and pampered him because her first son died at age 2. They didn't know what was wrong with him-just that he was "sickly". That child was also dressed in frilly little clothing.
      My mother said that she thought that my dad liked to get out and work outside on cars or with cows, where he could get dirty. Because his mother had not let him play in the dirt and be a rough and tumble little boy.
      Later photos show my dad and his little brother dressed in little boys' clothing. In two, they have on little WWI soldier uniforms, with a drum and trumpet their grandmother had brought them from the Worlds Fair.
      There are photos of my dad's grandfather's son, born 1884. He was dressed in a little uniform, like a soldiers uniform. That child died at age 6, when a train cut off his legs. I'm not sure what age his photo was. I'm terrible about guessing ages of people. But, the baby pictures of the children show the very decorative christening dresses.
      We have one that we think is a boy-a toddler with a long dress, standing by a dog that is bigger than he is! My sister did a painting of that one.
      Little girls seemed to have been dressed, often, like minature grown ups.
      There are lots of books on fashions from the past. Pretty interesting.
      Cecelia in Texas

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 28, 2007
          I have one like that of my dad, sitting in a goat-cart dressed in a ruffled white "dress' and
          long blond ringlets. This would have been in 1920 or 1921. He grew up to be a large,
          handsome, athletic man and he told me it took him years to develop a sense of humor
          about the photo, which was one of his mother's favorites!

          My dad said there was a popular novel, "Little Lord Fauntleroy", in the late 1800s that set
          off the fad; and that there were several movies of the novel made in the silent movie era
          that perpetuated it.

          Christine