Styles for Boys - early 1900's and earlier

  • sogerd
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 26, 2007
      Hello,
      Welcome to the group! And - thank you for joining in right away as
      well!

      It is not at all uncommon to see little boys dressed in pinafores,
      aprons, tons of slips, ruffles and bows, and plenty of ringlets!
      That was 'the style of the day'. Plus for many, there was (and is) a
      custom of not cutting a baby boys hair until they are 1 year of age
      or older. And, graduating from 'dresses' to 'short pants' to 'long
      pants' was also considered a series of acceptable 'progressions'
      through childhood. I believe that part of the concept behind having
      little boys in 'dresses' is that it was just a matter of being much
      simpler to flip up a dress when needing to change a diaper, rather
      than having the whole set of coveralls soaked. Remember - these were
      the days before disposable diapers, and/or plastic or rubber pants!
      And, for potty training - again, much easier to flip a dress out of
      the way, rather than having to deal with buttons! (I'd have to
      double check my history, to see when zippers were installed in pants.)

      And, if your family has any Celtic Roots - a bonny young lad needed
      to be able to show off his bonny legs, before he started to wear a
      kilt!

      I have some wonderful pictures as well - of uncles and great-uncles,
      etc. all dolled up with their ringlets, bows and pretty baby gear!

      I hope this helps!
      Dawn
      Moderator
    • Pamm Garber
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 27, 2007
        Thanks for that explanation. I have several photos of boys in dresses. My mother-in-law who is 77 still has a dress that her father used to wear. How she managed to keep it looking good all these years, I'll never know!
        Pamm

      • gmalh
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 4, 2007