RE: [genphoto] Re: Storage choices-100 year old photos

  • Hester
    Message 1 of 26 , Feb 13, 2007
      Heh, it would really help if I put a link in! Duh!

      http://www.kodakgallery.com/HelpStarted.jsp?#storagepolicy

      Hester

      Message 2 of 26 , Feb 15, 2007
        I've seen many mentions of storing things via CDs or DVDs, but does anyone have much experience with external hard drives? If so, what are everyone's thoughts on this way of storing photos and documents. (And if using an external hard drive, I would make sure to keep a copy in a abnk safety deposit box in case of catastrophy in the home.)

        Thanks!

        -Christine

      • Ruth Harvey
        Message 3 of 26 , Feb 15, 2007
          I can only give you my experience, which isn't good. I have purchased
          and lost data on 2 external drives. Both (different manufacturers)
          failed right after the one year warranty. I have been told by folks
          more experienced than I that the way to go is to use drives intended to
          be internal (longer warranty) in a box that has a fan cooler and can be
          connected by usb or firewire. I haven't tried it yet. I keep 2 copies
          of my photos now on DVD and rewrite them periodically.

          Others may have other experience.

          Ruth

          Christine Cunningham wrote:
          > I've seen many mentions of storing things via CDs or DVDs, but does anyone have much experience with external hard drives? If so, what are everyone's thoughts on this way of storing photos and documents. (And if using an external hard drive, I would make sure to keep a copy in a abnk safety deposit box in case of catastrophy in the home.)
          >
          > Thanks!
          >
          > -Christine

        • Susan B. Farmer
          Message 4 of 26 , Feb 15, 2007
            Quoting Christine Cunningham <photoshadows@...>:

            > I've seen many mentions of storing things via CDs or DVDs, but does
            > anyone have much experience with external hard drives? If so, what
            > are everyone's thoughts on this way of storing photos and documents.
            > (And if using an external hard drive, I would make sure to keep a
            > copy in a abnk safety deposit box in case of catastrophy in the home.)

            Hi. My name is Paranoid, what's yours? :-)

            I have copies on my laptop, my web server, my external hard drive, the
            originals are on CDs/DVDs (and new ones get burned periodically), I
            have paper copies, and my negatives are in a safe deposit box.

            People laughed at me when I was writing my thesis (and the
            dissertation is the same way). I have a paper copy, digital copies
            are on 3 different computers, 2 servers, an external hard drive, and
            one (or more) zip disks.

            Computers and digital media are your friends. They break. Be prepared.

            susan
            -----
            Susan Farmer
            sfarmer@...
            University of Tennessee
          • ngchesnutt@aol.com
            Message 5 of 26 , Feb 15, 2007
              Smart girl - Christin,

              I have a friend who had her dissertation on her laptop and her home was broken into and the laptop stolen. It was her only copy. She had to start over from notes.

              I keep my negatives in one house and CDs made from them at another place. Also have them on my computer and a back up external hard drive. Yes, I am paranoid!

              Message 6 of 26 , Feb 15, 2007
                Quoting ngchesnutt@...:

                > Smart girl - Christin,
                >
                > I have a friend who had her dissertation on her laptop and her home
                > was broken into and the laptop stolen. It was her only copy. She
                > had to start over from notes.

                *hangs head* I can't imagine anybody that clueless -- well, yeah, I
                can; but I'd prefer not to. At least one copy is always on my person
                -- and generally 2 copies -- be it a paper copy or a disk.

                susan

                > Computers and digital media are your friends. They break. Be prepared.

                -----
                Susan Farmer
                sfarmer@...
                University of Tennessee
              • Garden Gnome
                Message 7 of 26 , Feb 15, 2007
                  No, this is not being paranoid! Honestly I have an awful lot of time and money invested in my genealogy research. Everything is digitalized and the originals including paper format of family sheets are in a fire proof, water proof safe. The digital images and ged.coms are kept on CDs at home and two flash drives, one store in a safety deposit box at the bank and one stored in another location. I also have a copy of my current ged.com on both laptops, our home computer, and office computer. I will likely have the kids put a copy on their computers just in case. I do back-ups weekly wether or not I worked on the file that week or not hence the two flash drives as I update on Thursdays and my husband does the flash drive switch on Fridays. When I'm working on the file, I do back-up at the end of each session.

                  This represents almost 25 years of genealogy data and I'm going to do everything I can to protect it. Flash drives are cheap going for almost the cost of one marriage certificate anymore. BTW, I did the thesis thing so can totally relate. I had so many back-up copies of that it was almost pathetic but if you consider losing it, that would have been a lot worse! I can recall a collegue who left his laptop in his vehicle in a briefcase with the only copy of his thesis. His vehicle was burgularized and he lost everything. It never was returned and he essentially had to start all over again. The worst was not only did he lose the actual thesis he lost his data as well. You would think anyone at that level would think to do several back-ups!

                  Garden Gnome in Ontario, Canada Zone 6A
                  Come wander through my blogs:
                  Yahoo: http://ca.360.yahoo.com/sfg.oamc
                  Blogger: http://beta.blogger.com/profile/07560748179792613782 (scroll down)