RE: [genphoto] Re: Storage choices-100 year old photos

  • Hester
    Message 1 of 26 , Feb 13, 2007
      I heard about this site from Computer info talk show host Kim Komando.
      Kodak is pretty reputable and I doubt will go out of business in the near
      future. The only requirement for unlimited photo storage on their website
      is that you buy one thing in 12 months. The purchase of a single print
      counts as that purchase. I didn't find a specific dollar amount in
      purchases required. I have not tried the site myself but it seemed like a
      good one.

      Hester

      Message 2 of 26 , Feb 13, 2007
        Heh, it would really help if I put a link in! Duh!

        http://www.kodakgallery.com/HelpStarted.jsp?#storagepolicy

        Hester

        "callfosh" <callfosh@...> wrote:

        > I guess like everything else, you need to check on the reliability of
        > the service. In the case of www.preservephotoimages.com, it is
        > backed by a 22-year-old, $1+ billion parent company that is on the
        > New York Stock Exchange and has a 5A1 rating by Dun and Bradstreet
        > (which means it hasn't outstanding debts). The same could not be
        > said for PhotoPoint, which was a young company and did not have the
        > capital backing needed to sustain itself.

      • callfosh
        Message 3 of 26 , Feb 13, 2007
          I understand the importance of ensuring whatever place you put your
          photos is secure. By the way, I get nothing..nada, zilch... for
          anyone using the free 5GB (approximately 3,000-4,000 old photos)
          space on the site. Setting up a membership is also free (as well as
          some prints). That domain name is indeed mine and directs people to
          the Photomax site. I chose a domain name because it is easier to
          remember than the one assigned by Photomax. (I get nothing for the
          link being listed.) Plus, you can call me directly any time about
          this service and I will help you (also free of charge) to get the
          best service on the site. It is something like going to a grocery
          store and getting free samples. If you like them, you might want to
          continue using the service. Either way, your photos will remain on
          storage. If you decide you might want to use the service for other
          things, such as storage beyond the 5GB, particularly if you will be
          storing more digital images and movies, I might then benefit. Still
          remember --- I started in this for personal reasons, the loss of my
          own family photos. It is a legitimate business that has stored over
          17 million images globally including the 7 million old photos that
          the company has scanned in (the most old photos scanned in one
          geographic location). With direct marketing, others will not know
          about it unless someone like me speaks up. A number of people on
          this site have advocated putting images on CD's and DVD's and I have
          heard too many horror stories of the problems assoicated with that...
          CD rot and scratches and chips. I, like other people who write on
          this site, want to provide advice and then the people who read it can
          decide just like anyone else who has used a service. If you want me
          to help you directly, go to my site at www.preservephotoimages.com
          and call me at the number listed or email me. I will be happy to
          help.
          Kathy
          P.S. The corporate executives have told us that the images are
          stored in the same vault as the Mormon Church's records.

          --- In genphoto@yahoogroups.com, "Ruth" <harvey@...> wrote:

          > I posted this two days ago, but it didn't go through:
          >
          > So, what do you get in return for posting a link to photomax? I
          > couldn't get to or find any website called www.preservephotoimages.
          com.

          > According to whois you own the domain:
          >
          > Registrant:
          > Kathryn Callahan
          >
          > Registrar: DOTSTER
          > Domain Name: PRESERVEPHOTOIMAGES.COM
          > Created on: 01-NOV-05
          > Expires on: 01-NOV-07
          > Last Updated on: 12-OCT-06
          >
          > Administrative, Technical Contact:
          > Callahan, Kathryn
          > And I didn't find anything on the site that says anything about
          being
          > stored in the same vault as the Mormon Church's records?
          >
          > Perhaps you could clear this up?
          >
          > Ruth
          >

          > --- In genphoto@yahoogroups.com, "arcosinca" <arcosinca@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I went to the www.preservephotoimages.com site and was redirected
          > "PhotoMax", a
          > > commercial site belonging to a Kathryn Callahan. The site
          requires
          > you to go through a
          > > long, tedious "Flash" show to get any information, and I just
          found
          > it too annoying to go
          > > through the whole thing. I assume it is not free. Do you know
          > anything about this?
          > > Thanks, Christine

        • Christine Cunningham
          Message 4 of 26 , Feb 15, 2007
            I've seen many mentions of storing things via CDs or DVDs, but does anyone have much experience with external hard drives? If so, what are everyone's thoughts on this way of storing photos and documents. (And if using an external hard drive, I would make sure to keep a copy in a abnk safety deposit box in case of catastrophy in the home.)

            Thanks!

            -Christine

          • Ruth Harvey
            Message 5 of 26 , Feb 15, 2007
              I can only give you my experience, which isn't good. I have purchased
              and lost data on 2 external drives. Both (different manufacturers)
              failed right after the one year warranty. I have been told by folks
              more experienced than I that the way to go is to use drives intended to
              be internal (longer warranty) in a box that has a fan cooler and can be
              connected by usb or firewire. I haven't tried it yet. I keep 2 copies
              of my photos now on DVD and rewrite them periodically.

              Others may have other experience.

              Ruth

              Christine Cunningham wrote:
              > I've seen many mentions of storing things via CDs or DVDs, but does anyone have much experience with external hard drives? If so, what are everyone's thoughts on this way of storing photos and documents. (And if using an external hard drive, I would make sure to keep a copy in a abnk safety deposit box in case of catastrophy in the home.)
              >
              > Thanks!
              >
              > -Christine

            • Susan B. Farmer
              Message 6 of 26 , Feb 15, 2007
                Quoting Christine Cunningham <photoshadows@...>:

                > I've seen many mentions of storing things via CDs or DVDs, but does
                > anyone have much experience with external hard drives? If so, what
                > are everyone's thoughts on this way of storing photos and documents.
                > (And if using an external hard drive, I would make sure to keep a
                > copy in a abnk safety deposit box in case of catastrophy in the home.)

                Hi. My name is Paranoid, what's yours? :-)

                I have copies on my laptop, my web server, my external hard drive, the
                originals are on CDs/DVDs (and new ones get burned periodically), I
                have paper copies, and my negatives are in a safe deposit box.

                People laughed at me when I was writing my thesis (and the
                dissertation is the same way). I have a paper copy, digital copies
                are on 3 different computers, 2 servers, an external hard drive, and
                one (or more) zip disks.

                Computers and digital media are your friends. They break. Be prepared.

                susan
                -----
                Susan Farmer
                sfarmer@...
                University of Tennessee
              • ngchesnutt@aol.com
                Message 7 of 26 , Feb 15, 2007
                  Smart girl - Christin,

                  I have a friend who had her dissertation on her laptop and her home was broken into and the laptop stolen. It was her only copy. She had to start over from notes.

                  I keep my negatives in one house and CDs made from them at another place. Also have them on my computer and a back up external hard drive. Yes, I am paranoid!

                  Message 8 of 26 , Feb 15, 2007
                    Quoting ngchesnutt@...:

                    > Smart girl - Christin,
                    >
                    > I have a friend who had her dissertation on her laptop and her home
                    > was broken into and the laptop stolen. It was her only copy. She
                    > had to start over from notes.

                    *hangs head* I can't imagine anybody that clueless -- well, yeah, I
                    can; but I'd prefer not to. At least one copy is always on my person
                    -- and generally 2 copies -- be it a paper copy or a disk.

                    susan

                    > Computers and digital media are your friends. They break. Be prepared.

                    -----
                    Susan Farmer
                    sfarmer@...
                    University of Tennessee
                  • Garden Gnome
                    Message 9 of 26 , Feb 15, 2007
                      No, this is not being paranoid! Honestly I have an awful lot of time and money invested in my genealogy research. Everything is digitalized and the originals including paper format of family sheets are in a fire proof, water proof safe. The digital images and ged.coms are kept on CDs at home and two flash drives, one store in a safety deposit box at the bank and one stored in another location. I also have a copy of my current ged.com on both laptops, our home computer, and office computer. I will likely have the kids put a copy on their computers just in case. I do back-ups weekly wether or not I worked on the file that week or not hence the two flash drives as I update on Thursdays and my husband does the flash drive switch on Fridays. When I'm working on the file, I do back-up at the end of each session.

                      This represents almost 25 years of genealogy data and I'm going to do everything I can to protect it. Flash drives are cheap going for almost the cost of one marriage certificate anymore. BTW, I did the thesis thing so can totally relate. I had so many back-up copies of that it was almost pathetic but if you consider losing it, that would have been a lot worse! I can recall a collegue who left his laptop in his vehicle in a briefcase with the only copy of his thesis. His vehicle was burgularized and he lost everything. It never was returned and he essentially had to start all over again. The worst was not only did he lose the actual thesis he lost his data as well. You would think anyone at that level would think to do several back-ups!

                      Garden Gnome in Ontario, Canada Zone 6A
                      Come wander through my blogs:
                      Yahoo: http://ca.360.yahoo.com/sfg.oamc
                      Blogger: http://beta.blogger.com/profile/07560748179792613782 (scroll down)