Re: Storage choices-100 year old photos

  • Ruth
    Message 1 of 26 , Feb 12, 2007
      I posted this two days ago, but it didn't go through:

      So, what do you get in return for posting a link to photomax? I
      couldn't get to or find any website called www.preservephotoimages. com.

      According to whois you own the domain:

      Registrant:
      Kathryn Callahan

      Registrar: DOTSTER
      Domain Name: PRESERVEPHOTOIMAGES.COM
      Created on: 01-NOV-05
      Expires on: 01-NOV-07
      Last Updated on: 12-OCT-06

      Administrative, Technical Contact:
      Callahan, Kathryn
      And I didn't find anything on the site that says anything about being
      stored in the same vault as the Mormon Church's records?

      Perhaps you could clear this up?

      Ruth

      --- In genphoto@yahoogroups.com, "arcosinca" <arcosinca@...> wrote:

      > I went to the www.preservephotoimages.com site and was redirected to
      "PhotoMax", a
      > commercial site belonging to a Kathryn Callahan. The site requires
      you to go through a
      > long, tedious "Flash" show to get any information, and I just found
      it too annoying to go
      > through the whole thing. I assume it is not free. Do you know
      anything about this?
      > Thanks, Christine

    • Hester
      Message 2 of 26 , Feb 13, 2007
        I heard about this site from Computer info talk show host Kim Komando.
        Kodak is pretty reputable and I doubt will go out of business in the near
        future. The only requirement for unlimited photo storage on their website
        is that you buy one thing in 12 months. The purchase of a single print
        counts as that purchase. I didn't find a specific dollar amount in
        purchases required. I have not tried the site myself but it seemed like a
        good one.

        Hester

        Message 3 of 26 , Feb 13, 2007
          Heh, it would really help if I put a link in! Duh!

          http://www.kodakgallery.com/HelpStarted.jsp?#storagepolicy

          Hester

          "callfosh" <callfosh@...> wrote:

          > I guess like everything else, you need to check on the reliability of
          > the service. In the case of www.preservephotoimages.com, it is
          > backed by a 22-year-old, $1+ billion parent company that is on the
          > New York Stock Exchange and has a 5A1 rating by Dun and Bradstreet
          > (which means it hasn't outstanding debts). The same could not be
          > said for PhotoPoint, which was a young company and did not have the
          > capital backing needed to sustain itself.

        • callfosh
          Message 4 of 26 , Feb 13, 2007
            I understand the importance of ensuring whatever place you put your
            photos is secure. By the way, I get nothing..nada, zilch... for
            anyone using the free 5GB (approximately 3,000-4,000 old photos)
            space on the site. Setting up a membership is also free (as well as
            some prints). That domain name is indeed mine and directs people to
            the Photomax site. I chose a domain name because it is easier to
            remember than the one assigned by Photomax. (I get nothing for the
            link being listed.) Plus, you can call me directly any time about
            this service and I will help you (also free of charge) to get the
            best service on the site. It is something like going to a grocery
            store and getting free samples. If you like them, you might want to
            continue using the service. Either way, your photos will remain on
            storage. If you decide you might want to use the service for other
            things, such as storage beyond the 5GB, particularly if you will be
            storing more digital images and movies, I might then benefit. Still
            remember --- I started in this for personal reasons, the loss of my
            own family photos. It is a legitimate business that has stored over
            17 million images globally including the 7 million old photos that
            the company has scanned in (the most old photos scanned in one
            geographic location). With direct marketing, others will not know
            about it unless someone like me speaks up. A number of people on
            this site have advocated putting images on CD's and DVD's and I have
            heard too many horror stories of the problems assoicated with that...
            CD rot and scratches and chips. I, like other people who write on
            this site, want to provide advice and then the people who read it can
            decide just like anyone else who has used a service. If you want me
            to help you directly, go to my site at www.preservephotoimages.com
            and call me at the number listed or email me. I will be happy to
            help.
            Kathy
            P.S. The corporate executives have told us that the images are

            --- In genphoto@yahoogroups.com, "Ruth" <harvey@...> wrote:

            > I posted this two days ago, but it didn't go through:
            >
            > So, what do you get in return for posting a link to photomax? I
            > couldn't get to or find any website called www.preservephotoimages.
            com.

            > According to whois you own the domain:
            >
            > Registrant:
            > Kathryn Callahan
            >
            > Registrar: DOTSTER
            > Domain Name: PRESERVEPHOTOIMAGES.COM
            > Created on: 01-NOV-05
            > Expires on: 01-NOV-07
            > Last Updated on: 12-OCT-06
            >
            > Administrative, Technical Contact:
            > Callahan, Kathryn
            > And I didn't find anything on the site that says anything about
            being
            > stored in the same vault as the Mormon Church's records?
            >
            > Perhaps you could clear this up?
            >
            > Ruth
            >

            > --- In genphoto@yahoogroups.com, "arcosinca" <arcosinca@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I went to the www.preservephotoimages.com site and was redirected
            > "PhotoMax", a
            > > commercial site belonging to a Kathryn Callahan. The site
            requires
            > you to go through a
            > > long, tedious "Flash" show to get any information, and I just
            found
            > it too annoying to go
            > > through the whole thing. I assume it is not free. Do you know
            > anything about this?
            > > Thanks, Christine

          • Christine Cunningham
            Message 5 of 26 , Feb 15, 2007
              I've seen many mentions of storing things via CDs or DVDs, but does anyone have much experience with external hard drives? If so, what are everyone's thoughts on this way of storing photos and documents. (And if using an external hard drive, I would make sure to keep a copy in a abnk safety deposit box in case of catastrophy in the home.)

              Thanks!

              -Christine

            • Ruth Harvey
              Message 6 of 26 , Feb 15, 2007
                I can only give you my experience, which isn't good. I have purchased
                and lost data on 2 external drives. Both (different manufacturers)
                failed right after the one year warranty. I have been told by folks
                more experienced than I that the way to go is to use drives intended to
                be internal (longer warranty) in a box that has a fan cooler and can be
                connected by usb or firewire. I haven't tried it yet. I keep 2 copies
                of my photos now on DVD and rewrite them periodically.

                Others may have other experience.

                Ruth

                Christine Cunningham wrote:
                > I've seen many mentions of storing things via CDs or DVDs, but does anyone have much experience with external hard drives? If so, what are everyone's thoughts on this way of storing photos and documents. (And if using an external hard drive, I would make sure to keep a copy in a abnk safety deposit box in case of catastrophy in the home.)
                >
                > Thanks!
                >
                > -Christine

              • Susan B. Farmer
                Message 7 of 26 , Feb 15, 2007
                  Quoting Christine Cunningham <photoshadows@...>:

                  > I've seen many mentions of storing things via CDs or DVDs, but does
                  > anyone have much experience with external hard drives? If so, what
                  > are everyone's thoughts on this way of storing photos and documents.
                  > (And if using an external hard drive, I would make sure to keep a
                  > copy in a abnk safety deposit box in case of catastrophy in the home.)

                  Hi. My name is Paranoid, what's yours? :-)

                  I have copies on my laptop, my web server, my external hard drive, the
                  originals are on CDs/DVDs (and new ones get burned periodically), I
                  have paper copies, and my negatives are in a safe deposit box.

                  People laughed at me when I was writing my thesis (and the
                  dissertation is the same way). I have a paper copy, digital copies
                  are on 3 different computers, 2 servers, an external hard drive, and
                  one (or more) zip disks.

                  Computers and digital media are your friends. They break. Be prepared.

                  susan
                  -----
                  Susan Farmer
                  sfarmer@...
                  University of Tennessee
                • ngchesnutt@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 26 , Feb 15, 2007
                    Smart girl - Christin,

                    I have a friend who had her dissertation on her laptop and her home was broken into and the laptop stolen. It was her only copy. She had to start over from notes.

                    I keep my negatives in one house and CDs made from them at another place. Also have them on my computer and a back up external hard drive. Yes, I am paranoid!

                    Message 9 of 26 , Feb 15, 2007
                      Quoting ngchesnutt@...:

                      > Smart girl - Christin,
                      >
                      > I have a friend who had her dissertation on her laptop and her home
                      > was broken into and the laptop stolen. It was her only copy. She
                      > had to start over from notes.

                      *hangs head* I can't imagine anybody that clueless -- well, yeah, I
                      can; but I'd prefer not to. At least one copy is always on my person
                      -- and generally 2 copies -- be it a paper copy or a disk.

                      susan

                      > Computers and digital media are your friends. They break. Be prepared.

                      -----
                      Susan Farmer
                      sfarmer@...
                      University of Tennessee
                    • Garden Gnome
                      Message 10 of 26 , Feb 15, 2007
                        No, this is not being paranoid! Honestly I have an awful lot of time and money invested in my genealogy research. Everything is digitalized and the originals including paper format of family sheets are in a fire proof, water proof safe. The digital images and ged.coms are kept on CDs at home and two flash drives, one store in a safety deposit box at the bank and one stored in another location. I also have a copy of my current ged.com on both laptops, our home computer, and office computer. I will likely have the kids put a copy on their computers just in case. I do back-ups weekly wether or not I worked on the file that week or not hence the two flash drives as I update on Thursdays and my husband does the flash drive switch on Fridays. When I'm working on the file, I do back-up at the end of each session.

                        This represents almost 25 years of genealogy data and I'm going to do everything I can to protect it. Flash drives are cheap going for almost the cost of one marriage certificate anymore. BTW, I did the thesis thing so can totally relate. I had so many back-up copies of that it was almost pathetic but if you consider losing it, that would have been a lot worse! I can recall a collegue who left his laptop in his vehicle in a briefcase with the only copy of his thesis. His vehicle was burgularized and he lost everything. It never was returned and he essentially had to start all over again. The worst was not only did he lose the actual thesis he lost his data as well. You would think anyone at that level would think to do several back-ups!

                        Garden Gnome in Ontario, Canada Zone 6A
                        Come wander through my blogs:
                        Yahoo: http://ca.360.yahoo.com/sfg.oamc
                        Blogger: http://beta.blogger.com/profile/07560748179792613782 (scroll down)