Re: Ancestorville - 19th century photographers

  • Tom Knox
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 9, 2006
      LOL!

      Debra -
      "all 19th and 20th century photographers" is a bit of overstatement,
      although the statement is probably true for the photographers of the
      pictures that you have on your website. BTW - thank you for the
      work, the website looks interesting.

      My greatgrandfather Herman E Megow was a professional photographer
      mostly in and around Princeton, WI, in the late 19th and early 20th
      century. Are you interested in putting together a list of all
      (professional) photographers, or are you primarily interested in
      putting together a list of the photographers for whom you have
      pictures in your collection?

      Happy Holidays -

      - Tom Knox IBSSG

      --- In genphoto@yahoogroups.com, Debra Clifford <debra@...> wrote:

      > PS I forgot to say that all 19th and 20th
      > century photographers are documented at Ancestorville.
      >
      > You may go to the advanced search page
      > and poke around, see specific items
      > based on photographers only and subject.
      > or maybe see just the cdv's, or just the daguerreotypes, etc...
      > or certain states and counties.
      >
      > Or search for certain photographers work by putting
      > their surname in the box...
      >
      > http://ancestorville.com
      >
      > http://ancestorville.com/categorysearch.html
      >
      > http://ancestorville.com/ancestorvillephotographers.html
      >
      > There are also articles on tintypes, cdv's, ambrotypes,
      stereoviews, ephemera...etc:

      > http://ancestorville.com/articles.html
      >
      > Again, Thank you!
      > and Happy Holidays,
      >
      > Debra
      > --
      > Debra Clifford
      > Ancestorville
      > http://ancestorville.com

    • Debra Clifford
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 10, 2006
        Hi Tm,

        oops! meant all the photographers at Ancestorville, for
        people wanting to look up certain work,
        not all photographers that worked n that era..!
        sorry for my ambiguous wording..
        =-)

        I'd love to do more outside historical research and lists,
        but just can't...have thousands more photos and ephemera to put
        up daily, and also so much more articles and website work to do.

        but I'd love to know more about Megow, if you'd post info here, that
        would be really interesting bto me personally, and I bet the list.

        I'm happy to report in addituon
        to placing images with actual family members, they have also gone to
        the ancestors of photographers since the site opened. Likewise to
        researchers writing regional and national articles on certain 19th c.
        photographers, and/or collectors of their works...am very happy for
        that interest.

        Thanks Tom, I will keep my eyes open for Megow now.
        That's an unusual surname, and one I will remember.

        Might you tell us about him, where worked, dates, etc?

        Sincerely,
        Debra
        --
        Debra Clifford