Photos for printing

  • HDM SHORT
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 8, 2006
      Hello:

      I wonder if any one can tell me if the formula below will work when sending photos in for pulication.

      Determine Photograph size for printing at 300 dots per inch (dpi).

      Photo size = Number of pixels (Calculate horizontal and vertical dimensions)
      300 dpi
      Most editors want pictures submitted for publication, be set at 300 dots per inch, some prefer an 8 x 10 inch setting.

      Sample Calculation
      Image Size 2240 x 1488 pixels

      Total Pixels = 1488 x 2240 = 3,333,120 pixels.
      Print Size = 1488/300 = 4.96 inches.
      Print Size = 2240/300 = 7.46 inches. (5x7,common size required by editors.)

      If I set my D-70 at medium 1488 x 2240 pixels a 5x7 picture should be able to be printed with out any Photoshop manipulation. It appears that any resolution setting over 3 million total pixels will also work.

      I found the formula in a Kodak Digital Photographic guide but have not found anyone who can verify that this will work.