How do you name your photos

  • debbehagner
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 1, 2006
      Hi,

      I would like to start scanning my photos... How do you handle group
      photos. What software do you use... I have several hundred photos...
      do you scan one photo at a time or do you put several photo that can
      fit on scanner??

      any suggestion or ideas is greatly appreciated...

      Debbe
    • Bill D. Russell
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 1, 2006
        I don't know your age, nor how long you have been using a computer. But to
        answer your questions would suggest that you visit your local computer users
        group I am sure that they could get you stated off in the right direction.
        > I would like to start scanning my photos... How do you handle group
        > photos. What software do you use... I have several hundred photos...
        > do you scan one photo at a time or do you put several photo that can
        > fit on scanner??
        >
        > any suggestion or ideas is greatly appreciated...
        >
        > Debbe

      • Hester
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 1, 2006
          The most efficient method I've found so far is to scan an album page by
          page. I save the images as Page1, Page2 etc inside a folder named
          appropriately for that album. Then I use photo editing software to crop out
          each photo as I need it and then save it in its own file. I name the
          cropped individual photos from each page as Page1a, Page1b etc. left to
          right as you look at the page. I don't know if this is the best way but it
          works for me :-) One nice benefit of doing it this way is that you preserve
          any labeling done by whoever made the album. This has been invaluable to me
          as I scanned in my grandmother's scrapbook and would never have known who
          most of the people were without her notes. The fact that they were in her
          own hand-writing made it all the more precious.

          Hester

          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 2, 2006
            Hi Debbe,

            I have over 7,500 photos scanned and to me keeping them cataloged is one of
            the most important aspects of keeping them organized. When I started out, I
            gave each photo a simple name like "Mike" and a date or some such, but then
            obviously I ran into problems when it was a group photo and when I started
            collecting a large number of photos.

            As the number of photos grew, it became more and more difficult to think up
            a new file name. At that point, I took all that I had and I changed the
            photo file name by assigning a number to the photo such as 6189 and then
            6190 and then 6191, etc. Of course, then comes the problem of figuring out
            who happens to be in #6189. For that I keep a directory in an Excel
            spreadsheet. For my purposes (and of course this is just what works for me
            and can be adjusted to someone else's needs accordingly), I have 4 columns.
            The first is the Photo Number, then File Name (how it was saved in the
            computer), then Description Or Notation and lastly, Source. I have been
            very fortunate to have been allowed to scan photos from various relatives
            and I like to keep track of where I got the original as it may be a clue in
            figuring out who someone is in an old photo.

            In the Description or Notation field, I list the full name(s) of those in
            the photo always going from left to right of those in the photo. If there
            is not enough room to fit all the information I have in that Description
            field, I create a NOTE page for that particular photo on a separate sheet of
            the Excel spreadsheet. I use the Note page to write out any and all
            information that might have been handwritten on the original photo or any
            other information that I might have that I want to be part of a particular
            photo's information.

            I save the Excel spreadsheet with a file name indicating it is the NUMERICAL
            version and I arrange the spreadsheet by column ONE which is the Photo
            Number. I then create a SECOND spreadsheet by Save As and changing the file
            name to indicate it an ALPHAbetical version. For that spreadsheet, I
            arrange the spreadsheet by column THREE which alphabetizes the spreadsheet
            by NAME in the Description or Notation column (ie, all my Keller people,
            Brown people, Boosted people, etc will show up alphabetically by surname).
            When entering names in that column, I enter the last name, comma, full first
            name (starting with the person on left) followed by whatever or whoever else
            might fit in the space plus a Note if necessary (as described above).

            These two spreadsheets give me both a numerical listing of photos and an
            alphabetical listing by the names of the people in the photos. Also,
            because it is in an Excel spreadsheet and all the names of the people in a
            photo are listed (Description column), I can go to Edit and Find, enter in a
            person's name and get all the photos that that person is in. If I want to
            find the photo on my computer, I use a photo organizing software such as the
            free Picasa2 and use either a person's name or the photo number to bring up
            the actual photo for viewing.

            Regarding your question about software used, you will probably get as many
            different answers to that as there are kinds of software!! As I said, I use
            Excel for the spreadsheets. To help organize my photos on my computer I use
            Picasa2. I also have Adobe Photoshop Elements 4 which organizes photos as
            well as making changes to the photo. In addition to Elements for touching
            up photos, I also use a very old version of Ulead iPhoto Express, IrfanView
            and Paint Shop Pro.

            And lastly, with regard to your question about scanning methods, when I
            started out, I scanned each photo one by one and recorded all the necessary
            information within the directory as I went along. However, there were times
            when I found that that just took too long and so I placed as many photos on
            the scanner as would fit, scanned them, and then 'cut' each one from the
            other making it into its own photo and recorded all the necessary
            information in the directories. The actual scan process is what takes the
            longest (and that amount of time of course depends on the kind of scanner
            you use) so putting as many photos as possible on the scanner cuts down the
            amount of time to complete the process.

            I hope this information helps and I hope I have written this out clearly
            enough as to make sense!

            Gini

            On 9/1/06, debbehagner <debbehagner@...> wrote:

            > Hi,
            >
            > I would like to start scanning my photos... How do you handle group
            > photos. What software do you use... I have several hundred photos...
            > do you scan one photo at a time or do you put several photo that can
            > fit on scanner??
            >
            > any suggestion or ideas is greatly appreciated...
            >
            > Debbe

          • Andi Windham
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 2, 2006
              I write a 5 digit "acquisition number" on the back of each photo that I
              scan. You can then create a database in excel or another database program
              to associate the names of the people in the photograph with the acquisition
              number. It is just too difficult to use people's names in the file name.
              There was a thread about this subject back in January- here is a link to the
              thread: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/genphoto/message/2548>.

              HTH,
              Andi Windham
            • Bonnie - SavingDinner.com
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 4, 2006
                Hi Debbe,

                I am just starting to do this myself as I am converting from traditional
                scrapbooking to digital scrapbooking.

                Unless you're a cut and paste wizard, you'll probably want to scan each
                picture individually or else you'll have to scan the picture, "cut" each one
                out and then save each one.

                I know there are professional scanning companies that have automated
                scanners but it can be costly but you might want to see what they offer. I
                personally would have a hard time handing over hundreds of irreplaceable
                pictures to someone that I didn't know. Otherwise, I think you'd just have
                to call it a labor of love :D

                As for organizing your photos once they're digitized, I have tried a few
                programs and some are very invasive (indexing EVERY single graphic on your
                computer including the icons for your software programs, etc.) Google has a
                free program called Picasa. I had tried it a while back before it was
                bought by google. And just downloaded their "new" version last week. While
                it's highly praised, it's very invasive if you don't happen to hit the right
                (and not very obvious) settings as you go. I am also a bit of a skeptic and
                can't imagine that google isn't indexing all my images with their "Free"
                software somewhere ;) They're known for being the indexing kings so they've
                got to have some sort of interest in knowing how many images I have on my
                computer. I'm probably just paranoid but that's me.

                I just purchased Adobe Photo Elements 4.0, and while the program itself if
                for graphics and photo editing, it comes with an incredibly powerful
                organizer. Most photo organizers default the "time lines" and "dating" to
                the embedded data that comes from the photo when downloaded from a camera or
                scanned and that is it's date. Which is fine if you scan everything the day
                it happened, you've never misset the date on your camera, etc. Adobe lets
                you change that or you can totally remove a date also (great for early
                photos that you have no idea when they were taken. It has an incredible
                tagging and cataloging features that allow you to tag all of the individuals
                in each photo and you can create multiple things you want to be able to sort
                by. So you can take a group photo and "Tag it" for each person in there.
                Then when you want to find all of the pictures with Aunt Mable in them, just
                click her TAG and voila! Aunt Mable's 42 pictures come up. You can pick
                multiple tags too, such as Aunt Mable, in Utah, with Uncle Marvin and select
                the three tags and if there is a match, you'll get all of the photos.

                It is very user friendly and some pretty cool features like being able to
                move photos around in your hard drive folders (I have a "dumping" folder for
                all incoming images then move them to more detailed folders) and it will go
                and find them to update the links; being able to "dump" a whole folder into
                the program, even if it's already partially in there and it will sort out
                which ones need to be added and which ones are already there. If your
                digital camera reverts back to the same "Start number" you can have Adobe
                add a modifier on the end of the file name during import to prevent
                overwriting of existing images (mine continually appends a number like
                px001, px002.px245, px246 and knows where to pick up from so you don't have
                "Duplicates" if you've never renamed your photos; my daughters inexpensive
                camera restarts at px001 each time so I have 20 px001 photos that I have to
                rename so they don't overwrite each other).

                Those are just some of the features that I know have "bothered" me over the
                past several years when I've been looking for a great software and am happy
                to have finally found something that solves SOOO many problems! :-)

                There is a free trial on Adobe.com's website, "Click on PHOTOSHOP (Don't
                confuse this with Photoshop Elements as there is a HUGE price difference),
                then scroll down below the Photo Shop information and pick Adobe Photoshop
                Elements. You can pick up a copy for under $99. Just the photo organizer
                is worth that! I've added almost 7,000 items this weekend and am totally
                impressed and I'm pretty picky. I also saw it at Sam's club for $78.97.

                I know there are others here that have recommended photo organizer software
                in the past so maybe some others will chime in.

                Best of luck in your endeavors.

                Bonnie

                Surprise, AZ

                _____

                I would like to start scanning my photos... How do you handle group
                photos. What software do you use... I have several hundred photos...
                do you scan one photo at a time or do you put several photo that can
                fit on scanner??

                any suggestion or ideas is greatly appreciated...

                Debbe

              • Debbe Hagner
                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 4, 2006
                  We had a scrapbooking lady come and spoke at the
                  genealogy society meeting... She prefers traditional
                  scrapbooking and I was thinking of digital
                  scrapbooking.. I am curious your reason why to
                  convert??? Thank you for taking the time and write a
                  long note about naming the photo...

                  Debbe

                  --- "Bonnie - SavingDinner.com"

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • Bonnie - SavingDinner.com
                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 4, 2006
                    Hi Debb,

                    I am very new to digital scrapping. It was just recently that I was
                    introduced to the concept and really began exploring it. Having been in the
                    scrap industry for 12 years now (I was a Creative Memories consultant for 5
                    years, had my own scrapbook organizer company and also designed products for
                    Cropper Hopper organizers) it really intrigued me.

                    I fell out of scrapping right about the time that "embellishments" took off.
                    It used to be stickers and die cuts that you had "around" your photo, so you
                    could still preserve the integrity of the photo and now its metals, and
                    ribbons, and anything goes pretty much! The thought of a little humidity
                    and rust on those eyelets just makes me cringe and people don't even seem to
                    think twice about it. Some of my friends have books that are soooo thick and
                    so much "fluff" hanging out, that it's hard to really enjoy the books and
                    all I see are $$$$$$$$$$ signs and damaged photos evolving in a few years
                    from the pressure of the pages around them.

                    While I know in my heart that those types of pages are beautiful to view,
                    and that there is nothing that can replace that "touch and feel" aspect, I
                    want books that are done and archival safe. SO, one reason it that: Most
                    people do not "archive" their photos or their scrapbooks so if the book is
                    damaged there is no going back and they lose all of that effort. If they
                    photograph it and ever reprint it, then it basically looks like a "digital
                    scrapbook " :-)

                    The second reason is this -- I have 5 children. My ideal world would be
                    that each of my kids has an album that not only reflects them, but OUR
                    family. Most people scrap just one kid in that kid's album collection. I
                    want to have an album that has stuff about all of my kids in each others
                    albums too. Even the photos I've gotten from my mom and my MIL are only
                    "our" photos and not siblings. Genealogically speaking, they are all part of
                    my history and I'd love to have copies of all of their pictures too! So I
                    am including my children's pictures in each other's albums so they all have
                    lots of everything.

                    So basically to do a birthday party of Baby, I have to make 6 pages (I for
                    each of them and 1 for our book). I know that by the time I got to page
                    six, I'd be exhausted, start short cutting and 6 wouldn't be as nice as #1.
                    Then I'd also have to have 6 sets of everything I buy to go on the pages
                    which if you've priced embellishments lately, you could take out a small
                    mortgage to pay for them.

                    So after a long discussion with my hubby, we came to the following
                    conclusions.

                    1. We take all of our pictures digitally now anyways and if I don't print
                    the pictures out to even start to scrap them, I save .11-.19 cents a print
                    right there (then x by 6)

                    2. With digital elements, you can use them hundreds of times and you pay 1x.
                    There are tons of free "elements" and "kits" online, and a lot of kits could
                    be purchased for $1.95-$5.00 quite easily, some being up to $10 depending on
                    their quantity of items in each kit. So I don't have to prebuy or overbuy
                    stuff. And you can also make your own elements too to match your photo's
                    colors exactly.

                    3. I can make one page, really put my heart into the journaling and layout
                    and print it 6 times; even change a few words so each child's is
                    personalized as well.

                    4. Because the photo is "one" with the "page", it can't "fall off and get
                    lost, so if you include your journaling and labeling, then your photos are
                    "always labeled"; there's not worries over archival safeness of adhesives,
                    pens, papers, because they're not even used. Just stick the "photo page" in
                    an archival safe album, put on the page protector and voila!

                    5. I can print the final image in a variety of sizes by "shrinking" the
                    image - brag book for grandma, big 12x12 for us, small 8x8 for the kids
                    books, etc.

                    6. I can have the whole page printed by a photo developer by uploading the
                    "page" and the entire thing is archival safe - "elements" and all, no
                    worries about buffering, metals corroding, fabrics deteriorating, etc.

                    7. Because the scrapbooking elements and papers are digitally downloaded you
                    can buy them online 24x7 when you need it. No trips to the scrapbook store
                    (only for ideas!)

                    8. If I'm out of money, I can still scrap with my free elements, and wait to
                    send the pages to a printer when payday comes.

                    9. I can include more memorabilia and shrink it to fit on the pages and get
                    rid of the "clutter" around my house. I love the things kids bring home
                    from school and I can scrap them in miniature, and get rid of the originals,
                    saving a couple of special ones only.

                    10. I can backup my "scrapbooks" at anytime and make multiple copies in a
                    couple of clicks of the mouse to send off to family members for safe
                    keeping. If my albums get wet and ruined, I just upload the stuff to a
                    developer and I have a new album all over again.

                    11. jpegs are very common right now ( you can also save them as tiff files
                    too)so it's a good format to have and as long as I make the effort to always
                    keep my images in formats compatible with the latest technologies, then I
                    should be good :-)

                    And one of our favorite reasons - when driving back from a vacation, I can
                    "scrap" on my laptop, import our pictures, do our pages, upload them to a
                    photodeveloper by cell phone modem, and have them waiting when we pull in
                    the driveway LOL.

                    (p.s. there are different "qualities" of digital elements out there (read
                    that as some are VERY cheesy and cheap looking) and I think it makes a big
                    difference on how your layouts turn out. as always - you get what you pay
                    for.)

                    So this is what we've decided will work for us. One beauty of it is my
                    first project is a "Family Reunion" scrapbook where we had all of my
                    Grandparents descendents write about themselves and what their families are
                    doing as of this summer and sent pictures and we're putting them into a
                    digital scrapbook of the "the James Forsey Family - A Sketch of our
                    Descendents -- Summer 2006", uploading it online to be "proofed", we'll be
                    correcting it, then each family can simply download their own copy and I'm
                    not out any money, shipping costs, printing costs, etc. No haggling or
                    waiting for money to be sent, If they don't want to print it, they can just
                    download it, etc. An amazing way to share our "current" genealogy!

                    Hope those thoughts might help you in your decision.

                    Bonnie

                    Surprise Arizona

                    _____

                    Message 9 of 15 , Sep 5, 2006
                      Adobe Elements will do multiple scans and separate them. The command is
                      under the IMAGE menu. It's very time saving. I'm on a Mac and our
                      iPhoto program is wonderful for organizing.

                      dolores

                    • richbarb3534@adelphia.net
                      Message 10 of 15 , Sep 5, 2006
                        Bonnie: What scanner do you use for your 12 x 12 scrapbook pages? Also what photo developer? What printer for the 12 x 12 pages?

                        Like you I was a CM consultant...for 11 years.....shortly after the beginning. I have more than 100 albums....probably more than the founder. And of course, none if that silly embellishment! Simple pages have been my theme always. The photos are the most important! I also am looking at digital scrapbooking, thinking about trying it and found your information very informative. Any more thoughts, we can email privately if this group isn't the right one.

                        Barbara H.

                        Thanks.

                      • Debbe Hagner
                        Message 11 of 15 , Sep 5, 2006
                          I found one web site...

                          http://www.digitalscrapbookplace.com/

                          http://www.scrapbook-bytes.com/

                          http://www.scrapjazz.com/links/Computer_Resources/Digital_Scrapbooking/

                          http://www.photomix.com/

                          So What software do you use??
                          Please keep me posted on anything new or I would like
                          to get going on it for christmas presents...

                          is there a web site you prefer or is there a yahoo
                          group that specialize in this...

                          I am learning alot of you guys THANKS!!!

                          === message truncated ===

                          http://mail.yahoo.com
                        • ngchesnutt@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 15 , Sep 5, 2006
                            I do not do what I call "lumpy/bumpy" books and I think that someday
                            those who do will regret their decision. My daughter does one book and
                            then I copy it twice so that each of her children will have their own
                            books some day. Each book has some pages that are just about that one
                            child. I am also doing a heritage book of family photographs, my
                            husband's fishing book and one on us building our house. I do not use
                            stickers in either the heritage book or the house building book just
                            paper and journaling. My next project is the nearly 50 years of
                            photographs from our marriage until the present. I least I'm not
                            bored!!! I tell my husband I will not complain about his boat gas if he
                            doesn't complain about my scrap-booking!
                            and IM. All on demand. Always Free.
                          • Sylvia Galen
                            Message 13 of 15 , Sep 5, 2006
                              I just started creating Creative Memories scrapbooks when my son was
                              born 3 years ago, and I'm not sure I'm done creating books by hand, but
                              I'm intrigued by your comments. Do you have any favorite websites that
                              you could point me to as I'm considering this idea - software that
                              helps you build the scrapbooks and sites to get those elements?
                              Thanks!!

                              Sylvia

                            • Whitney McMahan
                              Message 14 of 15 , Sep 8, 2006
                                Sylvia,

                                Contact your consultant. CM just introduced at National Showcase
                                their version of digital scrapbooks. I haven't had one made myself,
                                but it is an option to look at.

                                later,
                                Whitney McMahan
                              • Bonnie - SavingDinner.com
                                Message 15 of 15 , Sep 11, 2006
                                  I have really enjoyed Gottapixel.com and Scrapgirls.com. Both of them will
                                  have banner ads on them with their ranking within the top 50 digital
                                  scrapbook sites so if you click on the link, you'll go to a site that has
                                  TONS of digital scrapsites.

                                  I decided to go with Adobe PhotoShop Elements (PSE 4.0). Paint Shop Pro X
                                  (PSPx) is also highly recommended. Microsoft has one that I think is called
                                  Digital Image Pro. A lot of the other "low cost" scrapbook programs help
                                  you start but are very remedial and people seem to be dumping them once they
                                  get going and end up with PSE 4.0 or PSPX. If you're a diehard
                                  photographer, you may want to jump into the full fledged Adobe Photoshop but
                                  that will set you back a few hundred dollars at best ;)

                                  Bonnie

                                  _____

> [...]

                                  > we'll be
                                  > correcting it, then each family can simply download their own copy and
                                  > I'm
                                  > not out any money, shipping costs, printing costs, etc. No haggling or
                                  > waiting for money to be sent, If they don't want to print it, they can
                                  > just
                                  > download it, etc. An amazing way to share our "current" genealogy!
                                  >

                                  > Hope those thoughts might help you in your decision.
                                  >

                                  > Bonnie
                                  >
                                  > Surprise Arizona
                                  >

                                  > _____
                                  >
                                  > From: genphoto@yahoogroup <mailto:genphoto%40yahoogroups.com> s.com
                                  > We had a scrapbooking lady come and spoke at the
                                  > genealogy society meeting... She prefers traditional
                                  > scrapbooking and I was thinking of digital
                                  > scrapbooking.. I am curious your reason why to
                                  > convert??? Thank you for taking the time and write a

                                  <mailto:genphoto-subscribe%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com
                                  <mailto:genphoto-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.com> e@yahoogroups.com
                                  <http://www.city-gallery.com/contact/> gallery.com/contact/