Re: NOW Photomax WAS Storage choices-100 year old photos

  • adwindham
    Message 1 of 26 , Aug 23 8:13 PM
      Am I the only one who has a problem with a person giving out a link to
      their own business under the guise that it has personally helped them
      with their photo preservation? For more of my thoughts on this
      company, please see my previous post at:

      -Andi Windham

      procedure was for me with Photomax ( www.benelux.myphotomax.com )

      > Have a nice day
      >
      > Stephen
    • adwindham
      Message 2 of 26 , Aug 23 8:20 PM
        --- In genphoto@yahoogroups.com, "Bill D. Russell" <wrussell@...> wrote:

        > The one thing that you failed to mention was that if the photos got
        wet ot
        > muddy the best thing to do is soak them in water, then seperate them
        a let
        > them dry on a plastic screen wire.

        I disagree completely. Soaking any photograph could make the damage
        much worse. The paper backing of the photo could disintegrate in the
        water, the emulsion that holds the image to the paper could disolve, it
        could warp the photo, and probably could cause some other damage that
        does not immediately come to mind. If it were to occur to my photos, I
        would certainly set them out to dry on a screen, but I would not get
        them any wetter than they already were. Any mud that is left after it
        dries can probably be cleaned with a gum eraser, although I recommend
        that you either leave that to a professional or test an inconspicuous
        area first.

        -Andi Windham
      • IowaGob1@juno.com
        Message 3 of 26 , Feb 9, 2007
          I had hundreds of photos stored on PhotoPoint (I think it was)
          when they went out of business. After a long wait and a (small)
          payment I finally got all of the pictures sent to me on a CD. I
          don't think there is ANY fool proof method. Now I make 2 DVDs
          and send one to my daughter in case something really bad
          happens. I also share nearly all of my photos online at Photo
          Access. On course I'll have to "migrate" the photos from DVD
          to whatever is next at some point. The key, I think, is share it
          all with several people and places. I'm not interested in non-
          digital preservation, that's a different problem ;-)

          Jerry Hale
          Deltona, FL

          On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 14:59:42 -0600 "Cecelia" <cheinric@...> writes:
          > Good idea. I would think that online would be a good place to share
          > photos as well as to store them, as long as we have the internet.
          > No telling what might be coming in the future!
          > Just noticed a typo in my original message! Senior fingers and
          > eyes! 8>)) That should be 1878 when my great-grandmother came from
          > Sweden, not 1978! She would be younger than I am!
          > Cecelia

        • callfosh
          Message 4 of 26 , Feb 10, 2007
            I have a solution for preserving photo images to protect them for
            generations to come.
            I am concerned because our family photos and family bibles were
            destroyed in a storage fire in 1956. I have looked for years for
            replacements on online websites and with family members (mostly
            unsuccessfully). I am also a former newspaper and magazine
            photographer so images have had a great impact on my life.
            I read all the time about how people are trying to save their photos
            by putting them on CD's (a temporary measure because of the
            possibility of having them rot or getting scratched)or storing them
            on one external hard drive (often in the same geographic area where
            they can succumb to a natural disaster or as in my case, a fire).
            So, I have put my photos, slides and documents online through
            www.preservephotoimages.com where approximately 3,000-4,000 old photo
            images can be stored free. The company will scan them for a small fee
            but people can scan them in themselves and upload them witout cost.
            Additional space is available at a small one time fee.
            This company doesn't require you to buy anything more to keep them on
            the server, which is located in the same vault at the Mormon Church's
            records in Utah.

            --- In genphoto@yahoogroups.com, "Cecelia" <cheinric@...> wrote:

            > I, too, have many old photos that I'm working to organize and
            preserve.
            > I went to my local Carnegie Library, which has been restored
            and is the area historical repository, and asked how they are
            preserving things given to them. They showed me an old album that
            they were preparing, and gave me some hints. I shared some of this
            with others and one lady told me that she had gone to the Smithsonian
            and asked, and was given the same information I gave.
            > Also, I was an art teacher, and artist, taught journalism,
            which involved doing the school yearbook and newspaper. I learned
            some things from bitter experience in my own artwork and dealing with
            photos over the years.
            > I had a cousin who lives in Louisiana who lost things when
            Katrina struck last year. His house had two feet of water in it, had
            some roof damage, but it wasn't totally destroyed like many places.
            However, he lost the pictures of his children as they grew up, and
            many things that belonged to his mother, who had died the year
            before. Some of those were old family pictures, and things the
            family had saved since the 1870s. Among those was a Bible in which
            his mother had written information. After her death, my cousin had
            stored her things in boxes in the garage, which didn't leave room for
            the second car. When they evacuated for Katrina, they had to leave
            the second car out. There were huge trees all around the house.
            They all fell away from the house, except one that fell across the
            car. The boxes in the garage were, of course, caught in the
            floodwater, but they were still there. The Bible was all wet.
            Everything his mother had written was washed away, but the Bible and
            the print survived. Among those things were our great-grandmother's
            ticket and things she had when she first came to the U.S. in 1978.
            Those survived, as did several other things, because his mother had
            put them in ZipLock bags before she died. My cousin was just sick
            over the loss, mainly about the loss of things that couldn't be
            replaced like his children's pictures.
            > We lost many pictures when a hail storm hit and bent a vent
            pipe on the roof. We didn't know it, until the ceililng in a closet
            fell in, after rain had been leaking in through the roof. That
            closet happened to be the one where we had stored most of the old
            family pictures, so we didn't open it very often. We rescued some,
            but lost so many. Some that did survive, in frames, had the photo
            stuck to the frame, and were distorted from the water. I was able to
            get the frames off some, and air those out, and they were okay.
            > One of my friends has put valuable old things in a safety
            deposit box. But, if you look at the things that were destroyed in
            Katrina, not even a bank is all that safe.
            > My idea is to scan and make copies of all the old pictures,
            clippings, etc., identify and organize them, put them on CDs and make
            copies of those to send to various people around the country.
            Placing some things online is another thing to consider. That way,
            if something happens in one place, there will be other copies that
            can be retrieved. Of course, we have to consider that CDs may not
            work, eventually, as technology changes. But, hopefully, those
            things can be copied.
            > At the Carnegie Library, I was told to remove pictures from old
            albums.
            > They can be placed in
            archival quality envelopes, sleeves or boxes, especially while
            waiting to be prepared.
            > Light, heat, extreme
            temperatures, humidity, acid in paper, acid in the paper or cardboard
            that the pictures are on, dust, air pollution, mold and mildew, etc.
            are enemies.
            > Hands should be clean
            as should surfaces where you are working. Oil from the hands can
            also damage your materials.
            > If you must label
            something on the back of the picture, use a a pen with archival ink
            or a pencil, very lightly so it doesn't make an indentation, and
            write on an out of the way place in which the picture won't be
            affected if the ink should pose a problem.
            > Instead of writing on
            the picture, use archival paper and ink and write the information on
            the paper. You could type it for easy reading and enclose this with
            the picture.
            > Cut two sheets of
            Mylar, the same size. You could cut enough sheets for an album, or
            the size of a box you want to store your pictures in. They should be
            large enough to have a border around your picture.
            > You could cut a mat of
            archival mat board to fit your picture. This would be important in
            keeping the mylar from touching your picture. (This is true of
            framing art work , too. You don't want the glass or plexiglass to
            touch your painting or drawing. The mat provides a little air space
            between the picture and the covering.)
            > If you don't want to
            go to the expense of a mat, or if it will be too bulky, you still
            need to have a little air space between the picture and the Mylar
            covering. So, place your picture in the center of one Mylar sheet.
            Add the identification note, with a little space between the two.
            Leave a little room between the picture and the area where you want
            to attach the two sheets of Mylar together. Use double sided
            archival or acid free transparent tape to make a border around the
            picture. Place the second sheet of Mylar on top of the tape,
            picture, and first sheet of Mylar. You can also put the tape and
            second sheet of Mylar over a picture with a mat and an identification
            note.
            > You can purchase Mylar in rolls or in
            precut sheets, which would be much easier.
            > The idea is to seal in the picture,
            allowing a little air space between the picture and whatever is on
            top of it, protecting it.
            > If you need a backing for your picture,
            to stabilize it, use archival mat or illustration board, or archival
            quality foam backing. The brown butcher paper we used to use to keep
            dust out of the backs of pictures needs to be removed, if you have
            any on your pictures.
            > Be careful about any covering over your
            pictures. I've had things ruined when glass on frames broke, and
            when paint stuck to the glass on the front, or when humidity got
            inside a framed picture. I've also had some damage to pictures from
            those cardboard frames that were placed around photos, and even the
            cardboard that pictures were put on originally.
            > I also was told to use archival quality
            CDs, if I want those to last.
            > I have read that you can wrap some
            things in archival quality tissue paper, then store them in archival
            boxes.
            > Another thing that I have read, but
            haven't used, is that it is safe to use those old-fashioned, but
            archival quality, paper corners to affix pictures to archival quality
            pages to make an album.
            > The albums we have today with the
            plastic pages and those with "magnetic pages", are a no-no. We have
            quite a few that my daughter started with her children, and the
            pictures seem like they are melted to the plastic coverings.
            > Supposedly, most of the plastic boxes
            we see in stores have something in them that can react with your
            pictures. When I was teaching journalism, we used those shoebox
            sized plastic boxes from WalMart to store our pictures. Then I put
            them in a filing cabinet. Those worked pretty well, but, then, those
            were only meant to be temporary. I had a box full of pictures
            sorted, to give to people who had asked for them. Being short on
            storage space, the box was on a table in the room. One morning, we
            had 20 inches of rain in just over 3 hours, and a flood! Had lots of
            wet things, but, the things in the filing cabinet were okay.
            Cardboard boxes didn't make it though.
            > As I sort pictures, at home, I am
            putting them into acid free cardboard boxes. I'm trying to identify
            and scan them, and also write about them.
            > I had many old family pictures that came down to me, as most
            of my families have died out, and I am the next oldest surviving
            person in the family. If I don't do this, there won't be anyone left
            who can identify people. Still, there are many people I don't know.
            And the one person who might have known has had a stroke. She knows
            some things, but I'm sure that she never did know who some of these
            people were, and, now, either she can't see them that well, or she
            can't remember.
            > And, like you, I found so many things that were in paper
            sacks, cardboard boxes, and even just wrapped in paper towels, along
            with those things in albums and frames. The earliest dates I have
            found were in the 1870s. But so many things have nothing on them.

            > Here are some web sites with some preservation information on
            them.

            > http://www.loc.gov/preserv/care/photolea.html
            >
            > http://www.loc.gov/preserv/
            >
            > http://www.scrapbookpreservationsociety.com/
            >
            > http://aic.stanford.edu/library/online/brochures/photos.html
            >
            > http://aic.stanford.edu/library/online/brochures/matt.html
            >
            > http://loricase.com/faq.html
            >
            > http://www.si.edu/mci/english/learn_more/taking_care/appraisal.html
            >
            > www.universityproducts.com
            >
            > http://vivisimo.com/
            >
            > Hope these ideas help.
            > Cecelia in Texas
            >

            > I have quite a number of family photos that are 100-110 years
            old.
            > They have been stored in brown paper bags/envelopes in a dry
            dresser drawer. Can
            > someone please advise as to the most appropriate way to store
            these treasures
            > for future generations?
            >
            > My objective-preserve as safely as possible!
            > J.W.Jack-Albany NY

          • Cecelia
            Message 5 of 26 , Feb 10, 2007

              "Cecelia" <cheinric@...> wrote:

              > I, too, have many old photos that I'm working to organize and
              preserve.
              > I went to my local Carnegie Library, which has been restored
              and is the area historical repository, and asked how they are
              preserving things given to them. They showed me an old album that
              they were preparing, and gave me some hints.
              Among those things were our great-grandmother's
              ticket and things she had when she first came to the U.S. in 1978.

              Cecelia in Texas

              > My objective-preserve as safely as possible!
              > J.W.Jack-Albany NY

            • Ruth
              Message 6 of 26 , Feb 11, 2007
                Jerry, the same thing happened to me at PhotoPoint. It really gave me a reluctance to trust any of the photo sites again.

                Ruth
                I had hundreds of photos stored on PhotoPoint (I think it was)
                when they went out of business. After a long wait and a (small)
                payment I finally got all of the pictures sent to me on a CD. I
                don't think there is ANY fool proof method. Now I make 2 DVDs
                and send one to my daughter in case something really bad
                happens. I also share nearly all of my photos online at Photo
                Access. On course I'll have to "migrate" the photos from DVD
                to whatever is next at some point. The key, I think, is share it
                all with several people and places. I'm not interested in non-
                digital preservation, that's a different problem ;-)

                Jerry Hale
                Deltona, FL

                On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 14:59:42 -0600 "Cecelia" <cheinric@...> writes:
                > Good idea. I would think that online would be a good place to share
                > photos as well as to store them, as long as we have the internet.
                > No telling what might be coming in the future!
                > Just noticed a typo in my original message! Senior fingers and
                > eyes! 8>)) That should be 1878 when my great-grandmother came from
                > Sweden, not 1978! She would be younger than I am!
                > Cecelia

              • callfosh
                Message 7 of 26 , Feb 11, 2007
                  I guess like everything else, you need to check on the reliability of
                  the service. In the case of www.preservephotoimages.com, it is
                  backed by a 22-year-old, $1+ billion parent company that is on the
                  New York Stock Exchange and has a 5A1 rating by Dun and Bradstreet
                  (which means it hasn't outstanding debts). The same could not be
                  said for PhotoPoint, which was a young company and did not have the
                  capital backing needed to sustain itself.

                  Frankly, I would be much more willing to trust the time I have my
                  photos online than to deal with CD's and DVD's today, particularly
                  when I can do so much with my media for whatever time it would be on
                  there. Just a thought.

                  --- In genphoto@yahoogroups.com, "Ruth" <ruthplay@...> wrote:

                  > Jerry, the same thing happened to me at PhotoPoint. It really gave
                  me a reluctance to trust any of the photo sites again.

                  > Ruth

                  2/9/2007

                • arcosinca
                  Message 8 of 26 , Feb 12, 2007
                    I went to the www.preservephotoimages.com site and was redirected to "PhotoMax", a
                    commercial site belonging to a Kathryn Callahan. The site requires you to go through a
                    long, tedious "Flash" show to get any information, and I just found it too annoying to go
                    through the whole thing. I assume it is not free. Do you know anything about this?
                    Thanks, Christine

                    Message 9 of 26 , Feb 12, 2007
                      I posted this two days ago, but it didn't go through:

                      So, what do you get in return for posting a link to photomax? I
                      couldn't get to or find any website called www.preservephotoimages. com.

                      According to whois you own the domain:

                      Registrant:
                      Kathryn Callahan

                      Registrar: DOTSTER
                      Domain Name: PRESERVEPHOTOIMAGES.COM
                      Created on: 01-NOV-05
                      Expires on: 01-NOV-07
                      Last Updated on: 12-OCT-06

                      Administrative, Technical Contact:
                      Callahan, Kathryn
                      And I didn't find anything on the site that says anything about being
                      stored in the same vault as the Mormon Church's records?

                      Perhaps you could clear this up?

                      Ruth

                      --- In genphoto@yahoogroups.com, "arcosinca" <arcosinca@...> wrote:

                      > I went to the www.preservephotoimages.com site and was redirected to
                      "PhotoMax", a
                      > commercial site belonging to a Kathryn Callahan. The site requires
                      you to go through a
                      > long, tedious "Flash" show to get any information, and I just found
                      it too annoying to go
                      > through the whole thing. I assume it is not free. Do you know
                      anything about this?
                      > Thanks, Christine

                    • Hester
                      Message 10 of 26 , Feb 13, 2007
                        I heard about this site from Computer info talk show host Kim Komando.
                        Kodak is pretty reputable and I doubt will go out of business in the near
                        future. The only requirement for unlimited photo storage on their website
                        is that you buy one thing in 12 months. The purchase of a single print
                        counts as that purchase. I didn't find a specific dollar amount in
                        purchases required. I have not tried the site myself but it seemed like a
                        good one.

                        Hester

                        --- In genphoto@yahoogroup <mailto:genphoto%40yahoogroups.com> s.com,

                        Message 11 of 26 , Feb 13, 2007
                          Heh, it would really help if I put a link in! Duh!

                          http://www.kodakgallery.com/HelpStarted.jsp?#storagepolicy

                          Hester

                          Message 12 of 26 , Feb 13, 2007
                            I understand the importance of ensuring whatever place you put your
                            photos is secure. By the way, I get nothing..nada, zilch... for
                            anyone using the free 5GB (approximately 3,000-4,000 old photos)
                            space on the site. Setting up a membership is also free (as well as
                            some prints). That domain name is indeed mine and directs people to
                            the Photomax site. I chose a domain name because it is easier to
                            remember than the one assigned by Photomax. (I get nothing for the
                            link being listed.) Plus, you can call me directly any time about
                            this service and I will help you (also free of charge) to get the
                            best service on the site. It is something like going to a grocery
                            store and getting free samples. If you like them, you might want to
                            continue using the service. Either way, your photos will remain on
                            storage. If you decide you might want to use the service for other
                            things, such as storage beyond the 5GB, particularly if you will be
                            storing more digital images and movies, I might then benefit. Still
                            remember --- I started in this for personal reasons, the loss of my
                            own family photos. It is a legitimate business that has stored over
                            17 million images globally including the 7 million old photos that
                            the company has scanned in (the most old photos scanned in one
                            geographic location). With direct marketing, others will not know
                            about it unless someone like me speaks up. A number of people on
                            this site have advocated putting images on CD's and DVD's and I have
                            heard too many horror stories of the problems assoicated with that...
                            CD rot and scratches and chips. I, like other people who write on
                            this site, want to provide advice and then the people who read it can
                            decide just like anyone else who has used a service. If you want me
                            to help you directly, go to my site at www.preservephotoimages.com
                            and call me at the number listed or email me. I will be happy to
                            help.
                            Kathy
                            P.S. The corporate executives have told us that the images are

                            --- In genphoto@yahoogroups.com, "Ruth" <harvey@...> wrote:

                            > I posted this two days ago, but it didn't go through:
                            >
                            > So, what do you get in return for posting a link to photomax? I
                            > couldn't get to or find any website called www.preservephotoimages.
                            com.

                            > According to whois you own the domain:
                            >
                            > Registrant:
                            > Kathryn Callahan
                            >
                            > Registrar: DOTSTER
                            > Domain Name: PRESERVEPHOTOIMAGES.COM
                            > Created on: 01-NOV-05
                            > Expires on: 01-NOV-07
                            > Last Updated on: 12-OCT-06
                            >
                            > Administrative, Technical Contact:
                            > Callahan, Kathryn
                            > And I didn't find anything on the site that says anything about
                            being
                            > stored in the same vault as the Mormon Church's records?
                            >
                            > Perhaps you could clear this up?
                            >
                            > Ruth
                            >

                            > --- In genphoto@yahoogroups.com, "arcosinca" <arcosinca@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > I went to the www.preservephotoimages.com site and was redirected
                            > "PhotoMax", a
                            > > commercial site belonging to a Kathryn Callahan. The site
                            requires
                            > you to go through a
                            > > long, tedious "Flash" show to get any information, and I just
                            found
                            > it too annoying to go
                            > > through the whole thing. I assume it is not free. Do you know
                            > anything about this?
                            > > Thanks, Christine

                          • Christine Cunningham
                            Message 13 of 26 , Feb 15, 2007
                              I've seen many mentions of storing things via CDs or DVDs, but does anyone have much experience with external hard drives? If so, what are everyone's thoughts on this way of storing photos and documents. (And if using an external hard drive, I would make sure to keep a copy in a abnk safety deposit box in case of catastrophy in the home.)

                              Thanks!

                              -Christine

                            • Ruth Harvey
                              Message 14 of 26 , Feb 15, 2007
                                I can only give you my experience, which isn't good. I have purchased
                                and lost data on 2 external drives. Both (different manufacturers)
                                failed right after the one year warranty. I have been told by folks
                                more experienced than I that the way to go is to use drives intended to
                                be internal (longer warranty) in a box that has a fan cooler and can be
                                connected by usb or firewire. I haven't tried it yet. I keep 2 copies
                                of my photos now on DVD and rewrite them periodically.

                                Others may have other experience.

                                Ruth

                                Christine Cunningham wrote:
                                > I've seen many mentions of storing things via CDs or DVDs, but does anyone have much experience with external hard drives? If so, what are everyone's thoughts on this way of storing photos and documents. (And if using an external hard drive, I would make sure to keep a copy in a abnk safety deposit box in case of catastrophy in the home.)
                                >
                                > Thanks!
                                >
                                > -Christine

                              • Susan B. Farmer
                                Message 15 of 26 , Feb 15, 2007
                                  Quoting Christine Cunningham <photoshadows@...>:

                                  > I've seen many mentions of storing things via CDs or DVDs, but does
                                  > anyone have much experience with external hard drives? If so, what
                                  > are everyone's thoughts on this way of storing photos and documents.
                                  > (And if using an external hard drive, I would make sure to keep a
                                  > copy in a abnk safety deposit box in case of catastrophy in the home.)

                                  Hi. My name is Paranoid, what's yours? :-)

                                  I have copies on my laptop, my web server, my external hard drive, the
                                  originals are on CDs/DVDs (and new ones get burned periodically), I
                                  have paper copies, and my negatives are in a safe deposit box.

                                  People laughed at me when I was writing my thesis (and the
                                  dissertation is the same way). I have a paper copy, digital copies
                                  are on 3 different computers, 2 servers, an external hard drive, and
                                  one (or more) zip disks.

                                  Computers and digital media are your friends. They break. Be prepared.

                                  susan
                                  -----
                                  Susan Farmer
                                  sfarmer@...
                                  University of Tennessee
                                • ngchesnutt@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Feb 15, 2007
                                    Smart girl - Christin,

                                    I have a friend who had her dissertation on her laptop and her home was broken into and the laptop stolen. It was her only copy. She had to start over from notes.

                                    I keep my negatives in one house and CDs made from them at another place. Also have them on my computer and a back up external hard drive. Yes, I am paranoid!

                                    Message 17 of 26 , Feb 15, 2007
                                      Quoting ngchesnutt@...:

                                      > Smart girl - Christin,
                                      >
                                      > I have a friend who had her dissertation on her laptop and her home
                                      > was broken into and the laptop stolen. It was her only copy. She
                                      > had to start over from notes.

                                      *hangs head* I can't imagine anybody that clueless -- well, yeah, I
                                      can; but I'd prefer not to. At least one copy is always on my person
                                      -- and generally 2 copies -- be it a paper copy or a disk.

                                      susan

                                      > Computers and digital media are your friends. They break. Be prepared.

                                      -----
                                      Susan Farmer
                                      sfarmer@...
                                      University of Tennessee
                                    • Garden Gnome
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Feb 15, 2007
                                        No, this is not being paranoid! Honestly I have an awful lot of time and money invested in my genealogy research. Everything is digitalized and the originals including paper format of family sheets are in a fire proof, water proof safe. The digital images and ged.coms are kept on CDs at home and two flash drives, one store in a safety deposit box at the bank and one stored in another location. I also have a copy of my current ged.com on both laptops, our home computer, and office computer. I will likely have the kids put a copy on their computers just in case. I do back-ups weekly wether or not I worked on the file that week or not hence the two flash drives as I update on Thursdays and my husband does the flash drive switch on Fridays. When I'm working on the file, I do back-up at the end of each session.

                                        This represents almost 25 years of genealogy data and I'm going to do everything I can to protect it. Flash drives are cheap going for almost the cost of one marriage certificate anymore. BTW, I did the thesis thing so can totally relate. I had so many back-up copies of that it was almost pathetic but if you consider losing it, that would have been a lot worse! I can recall a collegue who left his laptop in his vehicle in a briefcase with the only copy of his thesis. His vehicle was burgularized and he lost everything. It never was returned and he essentially had to start all over again. The worst was not only did he lose the actual thesis he lost his data as well. You would think anyone at that level would think to do several back-ups!

                                        Garden Gnome in Ontario, Canada Zone 6A
                                        Come wander through my blogs:
                                        Yahoo: http://ca.360.yahoo.com/sfg.oamc
                                        Blogger: http://beta.blogger.com/profile/07560748179792613782 (scroll down)