Re: [genphoto] Storage choices-100 year old photos

  • Bill D. Russell
    Message 1 of 26 , Aug 23, 2006
      The one thing that you failed to mention was that if the photos got wet ot
      muddy the best thing to do is soak them in water, then seperate them a let
      them dry on a plastic screen wire.
      Message 2 of 26 , Aug 23, 2006
        I thought that Cecilia's response was excellent and great advice. (BTW, I
        have a Master's in Library and Information Science with a concentration in
        Preservation, so I have a pretty good basis for my comments.) I do want to
        comment on a couple of things.

        > At the Carnegie Library, I was told to remove pictures
        > from old albums.

        While I agree that often it is good to take things out of albums, I think
        that there are exceptions. If the album is intact, in fairly good shape,
        and has historical significance (for instance, it shows your grandmother's
        handwriting.) On the other hand, the magnetic albums have no redeeming
        value in my opinion, and any pictures in those should be removed. If a
        person decides to keep an album intact, I would recommend interleaving the
        pages with acid-free lignin-free tissue paper to prevent acid migration
        between the pages.

        > I also was told to use archival
        > quality CDs, if I want those to last.

        Do most people know what an archival quality CD is or how to find them? I
        personally use Kodak Gold CDs, although I have used other brands. Here are
        some links if you would like to learn more:
        Which Brands of CD-R Discs are Best for Long-Term Data and Photo Storage?
        <http://www.silverace.com/dottyspotty/issue12.html>
        Other disk formats of interest
        <http://www.ee.washington.edu/conselec/CE/kuhn/otherformats/95x9.htm>

        > Supposedly, most of the plastic
        > boxes we see in stores have something in them that can react
        > with your pictures.

        Yes, that is true. Most plastics have components that disintegrate and are
        or become acidic with age. The exceptions are polyethylene and Mylar. The
        other problem with plastics is that just as they keep moisture out, they can
        also keep it in. So, if a Ziploc bag or a plastic box has a small leak in
        it, it could end up causing more damage than it prevents. If you have the
        money, the archival suppliers do make water-resistant storage boxes, but
        they are pricey. My insurance policy is much like Cecilia's- I am scanning
        them and sending the CD's to relatives around the country. That way, if my
        house burns down, someone will still have copies of the photos.

        -Andi Windham
      • adwindham
        Message 3 of 26 , Aug 23, 2006
          Am I the only one who has a problem with a person giving out a link to
          their own business under the guise that it has personally helped them
          with their photo preservation? For more of my thoughts on this
          company, please see my previous post at:

          -Andi Windham

          procedure was for me with Photomax ( www.benelux.myphotomax.com )

          > Have a nice day
          >
          > Stephen
        • adwindham
          Message 4 of 26 , Aug 23, 2006
            --- In genphoto@yahoogroups.com, "Bill D. Russell" <wrussell@...> wrote:

            > The one thing that you failed to mention was that if the photos got
            wet ot
            > muddy the best thing to do is soak them in water, then seperate them
            a let
            > them dry on a plastic screen wire.

            I disagree completely. Soaking any photograph could make the damage
            much worse. The paper backing of the photo could disintegrate in the
            water, the emulsion that holds the image to the paper could disolve, it
            could warp the photo, and probably could cause some other damage that
            does not immediately come to mind. If it were to occur to my photos, I
            would certainly set them out to dry on a screen, but I would not get
            them any wetter than they already were. Any mud that is left after it
            dries can probably be cleaned with a gum eraser, although I recommend
            that you either leave that to a professional or test an inconspicuous
            area first.

            -Andi Windham
          • IowaGob1@juno.com
            Message 5 of 26 , Feb 9, 2007
              I had hundreds of photos stored on PhotoPoint (I think it was)
              when they went out of business. After a long wait and a (small)
              payment I finally got all of the pictures sent to me on a CD. I
              don't think there is ANY fool proof method. Now I make 2 DVDs
              and send one to my daughter in case something really bad
              happens. I also share nearly all of my photos online at Photo
              Access. On course I'll have to "migrate" the photos from DVD
              to whatever is next at some point. The key, I think, is share it
              all with several people and places. I'm not interested in non-
              digital preservation, that's a different problem ;-)

              Jerry Hale
              Deltona, FL

              On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 14:59:42 -0600 "Cecelia" <cheinric@...> writes:
              > Good idea. I would think that online would be a good place to share
              > photos as well as to store them, as long as we have the internet.
              > No telling what might be coming in the future!
              > Just noticed a typo in my original message! Senior fingers and
              > eyes! 8>)) That should be 1878 when my great-grandmother came from
              > Sweden, not 1978! She would be younger than I am!
              > Cecelia

            • callfosh
              Message 6 of 26 , Feb 10, 2007
                I have a solution for preserving photo images to protect them for
                generations to come.
                I am concerned because our family photos and family bibles were
                destroyed in a storage fire in 1956. I have looked for years for
                replacements on online websites and with family members (mostly
                unsuccessfully). I am also a former newspaper and magazine
                photographer so images have had a great impact on my life.
                I read all the time about how people are trying to save their photos
                by putting them on CD's (a temporary measure because of the
                possibility of having them rot or getting scratched)or storing them
                on one external hard drive (often in the same geographic area where
                they can succumb to a natural disaster or as in my case, a fire).
                So, I have put my photos, slides and documents online through
                www.preservephotoimages.com where approximately 3,000-4,000 old photo
                images can be stored free. The company will scan them for a small fee
                but people can scan them in themselves and upload them witout cost.
                Additional space is available at a small one time fee.
                This company doesn't require you to buy anything more to keep them on
                the server, which is located in the same vault at the Mormon Church's
                records in Utah.

                --- In genphoto@yahoogroups.com, "Cecelia" <cheinric@...> wrote:

> [...]
                >
                > http://www.loc.gov/preserv/care/photolea.html
                >
                > http://www.loc.gov/preserv/
                >
                > http://www.scrapbookpreservationsociety.com/
                >
                > http://aic.stanford.edu/library/online/brochures/photos.html
                >
                > http://aic.stanford.edu/library/online/brochures/matt.html
                >
                > http://loricase.com/faq.html
                >
                > http://www.si.edu/mci/english/learn_more/taking_care/appraisal.html
                >
                > www.universityproducts.com
                >
                > http://vivisimo.com/
                >
                > Hope these ideas help.
                > Cecelia in Texas
                >

                > I have quite a number of family photos that are 100-110 years
                old.
                > They have been stored in brown paper bags/envelopes in a dry
                dresser drawer. Can
                > someone please advise as to the most appropriate way to store
                these treasures
                > for future generations?
                >
                > My objective-preserve as safely as possible!

              • Cecelia
                Message 7 of 26 , Feb 10, 2007

                  "Cecelia" <cheinric@...> wrote:

                  > I, too, have many old photos that I'm working to organize and
                  preserve.
                  > I went to my local Carnegie Library, which has been restored
                  and is the area historical repository, and asked how they are
                  preserving things given to them. They showed me an old album that
                  they were preparing, and gave me some hints.
                  Among those things were our great-grandmother's
                  ticket and things she had when she first came to the U.S. in 1978.

                  Cecelia in Texas

                  > My objective-preserve as safely as possible!
                  > J.W.Jack-Albany NY

                • Ruth
                  Message 8 of 26 , Feb 11, 2007
                    Jerry, the same thing happened to me at PhotoPoint. It really gave me a reluctance to trust any of the photo sites again.

                    Ruth
                    I had hundreds of photos stored on PhotoPoint (I think it was)
                    when they went out of business. After a long wait and a (small)
                    payment I finally got all of the pictures sent to me on a CD. I
                    don't think there is ANY fool proof method. Now I make 2 DVDs
                    and send one to my daughter in case something really bad
                    happens. I also share nearly all of my photos online at Photo
                    Access. On course I'll have to "migrate" the photos from DVD
                    to whatever is next at some point. The key, I think, is share it
                    all with several people and places. I'm not interested in non-
                    digital preservation, that's a different problem ;-)

                    Jerry Hale
                    Deltona, FL

                    On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 14:59:42 -0600 "Cecelia" <cheinric@...> writes:
                    > Good idea. I would think that online would be a good place to share
                    > photos as well as to store them, as long as we have the internet.
                    > No telling what might be coming in the future!
                    > Just noticed a typo in my original message! Senior fingers and
                    > eyes! 8>)) That should be 1878 when my great-grandmother came from
                    > Sweden, not 1978! She would be younger than I am!
                    > Cecelia

                  • callfosh
                    Message 9 of 26 , Feb 11, 2007
                      I guess like everything else, you need to check on the reliability of
                      the service. In the case of www.preservephotoimages.com, it is
                      backed by a 22-year-old, $1+ billion parent company that is on the
                      New York Stock Exchange and has a 5A1 rating by Dun and Bradstreet
                      (which means it hasn't outstanding debts). The same could not be
                      said for PhotoPoint, which was a young company and did not have the
                      capital backing needed to sustain itself.

                      Frankly, I would be much more willing to trust the time I have my
                      photos online than to deal with CD's and DVD's today, particularly
                      when I can do so much with my media for whatever time it would be on
                      there. Just a thought.

                      --- In genphoto@yahoogroups.com, "Ruth" <ruthplay@...> wrote:

                      > Jerry, the same thing happened to me at PhotoPoint. It really gave
                      me a reluctance to trust any of the photo sites again.

                      > Ruth

                      2/9/2007

                    • arcosinca
                      Message 10 of 26 , Feb 12, 2007
                        I went to the www.preservephotoimages.com site and was redirected to "PhotoMax", a
                        commercial site belonging to a Kathryn Callahan. The site requires you to go through a
                        long, tedious "Flash" show to get any information, and I just found it too annoying to go
                        through the whole thing. I assume it is not free. Do you know anything about this?
                        Thanks, Christine

                        Message 11 of 26 , Feb 12, 2007
                          I posted this two days ago, but it didn't go through:

                          So, what do you get in return for posting a link to photomax? I
                          couldn't get to or find any website called www.preservephotoimages. com.

                          According to whois you own the domain:

                          Registrant:
                          Kathryn Callahan

                          Registrar: DOTSTER
                          Domain Name: PRESERVEPHOTOIMAGES.COM
                          Created on: 01-NOV-05
                          Expires on: 01-NOV-07
                          Last Updated on: 12-OCT-06

                          Administrative, Technical Contact:
                          Callahan, Kathryn
                          And I didn't find anything on the site that says anything about being
                          stored in the same vault as the Mormon Church's records?

                          Perhaps you could clear this up?

                          Ruth

                          --- In genphoto@yahoogroups.com, "arcosinca" <arcosinca@...> wrote:

                          > I went to the www.preservephotoimages.com site and was redirected to
                          "PhotoMax", a
                          > commercial site belonging to a Kathryn Callahan. The site requires
                          you to go through a
                          > long, tedious "Flash" show to get any information, and I just found
                          it too annoying to go
                          > through the whole thing. I assume it is not free. Do you know
                          anything about this?
                          > Thanks, Christine

                        • Hester
                          Message 12 of 26 , Feb 13, 2007
                            I heard about this site from Computer info talk show host Kim Komando.
                            Kodak is pretty reputable and I doubt will go out of business in the near
                            future. The only requirement for unlimited photo storage on their website
                            is that you buy one thing in 12 months. The purchase of a single print
                            counts as that purchase. I didn't find a specific dollar amount in
                            purchases required. I have not tried the site myself but it seemed like a
                            good one.

                            Hester

                            --- In genphoto@yahoogroup <mailto:genphoto%40yahoogroups.com> s.com,

                            Message 13 of 26 , Feb 13, 2007
                              Heh, it would really help if I put a link in! Duh!

                              http://www.kodakgallery.com/HelpStarted.jsp?#storagepolicy

                              Hester

                              Message 14 of 26 , Feb 13, 2007
                                I understand the importance of ensuring whatever place you put your
                                photos is secure. By the way, I get nothing..nada, zilch... for
                                anyone using the free 5GB (approximately 3,000-4,000 old photos)
                                space on the site. Setting up a membership is also free (as well as
                                some prints). That domain name is indeed mine and directs people to
                                the Photomax site. I chose a domain name because it is easier to
                                remember than the one assigned by Photomax. (I get nothing for the
                                link being listed.) Plus, you can call me directly any time about
                                this service and I will help you (also free of charge) to get the
                                best service on the site. It is something like going to a grocery
                                store and getting free samples. If you like them, you might want to
                                continue using the service. Either way, your photos will remain on
                                storage. If you decide you might want to use the service for other
                                things, such as storage beyond the 5GB, particularly if you will be
                                storing more digital images and movies, I might then benefit. Still
                                remember --- I started in this for personal reasons, the loss of my
                                own family photos. It is a legitimate business that has stored over
                                17 million images globally including the 7 million old photos that
                                the company has scanned in (the most old photos scanned in one
                                geographic location). With direct marketing, others will not know
                                about it unless someone like me speaks up. A number of people on
                                this site have advocated putting images on CD's and DVD's and I have
                                heard too many horror stories of the problems assoicated with that...
                                CD rot and scratches and chips. I, like other people who write on
                                this site, want to provide advice and then the people who read it can
                                decide just like anyone else who has used a service. If you want me
                                to help you directly, go to my site at www.preservephotoimages.com
                                and call me at the number listed or email me. I will be happy to
                                help.
                                Kathy
                                P.S. The corporate executives have told us that the images are

                                --- In genphoto@yahoogroups.com, "Ruth" <harvey@...> wrote:

                                > I posted this two days ago, but it didn't go through:
                                >
                                > So, what do you get in return for posting a link to photomax? I
                                > couldn't get to or find any website called www.preservephotoimages.
                                com.

                                > According to whois you own the domain:
                                >
                                > Registrant:
                                > Kathryn Callahan
                                >
                                > Registrar: DOTSTER
                                > Domain Name: PRESERVEPHOTOIMAGES.COM
                                > Created on: 01-NOV-05
                                > Expires on: 01-NOV-07
                                > Last Updated on: 12-OCT-06
                                >
                                > Administrative, Technical Contact:
                                > Callahan, Kathryn
                                > And I didn't find anything on the site that says anything about
                                being
                                > stored in the same vault as the Mormon Church's records?
                                >
                                > Perhaps you could clear this up?
                                >
                                > Ruth
                                >

                                > --- In genphoto@yahoogroups.com, "arcosinca" <arcosinca@> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > I went to the www.preservephotoimages.com site and was redirected
                                > "PhotoMax", a
                                > > commercial site belonging to a Kathryn Callahan. The site
                                requires
                                > you to go through a
                                > > long, tedious "Flash" show to get any information, and I just
                                found
                                > it too annoying to go
                                > > through the whole thing. I assume it is not free. Do you know
                                > anything about this?
                                > > Thanks, Christine

                              • Christine Cunningham
                                Message 15 of 26 , Feb 15, 2007
                                  I've seen many mentions of storing things via CDs or DVDs, but does anyone have much experience with external hard drives? If so, what are everyone's thoughts on this way of storing photos and documents. (And if using an external hard drive, I would make sure to keep a copy in a abnk safety deposit box in case of catastrophy in the home.)

                                  Thanks!

                                  -Christine

                                • Ruth Harvey
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Feb 15, 2007
                                    I can only give you my experience, which isn't good. I have purchased
                                    and lost data on 2 external drives. Both (different manufacturers)
                                    failed right after the one year warranty. I have been told by folks
                                    more experienced than I that the way to go is to use drives intended to
                                    be internal (longer warranty) in a box that has a fan cooler and can be
                                    connected by usb or firewire. I haven't tried it yet. I keep 2 copies
                                    of my photos now on DVD and rewrite them periodically.

                                    Others may have other experience.

                                    Ruth

                                    Christine Cunningham wrote:
                                    > I've seen many mentions of storing things via CDs or DVDs, but does anyone have much experience with external hard drives? If so, what are everyone's thoughts on this way of storing photos and documents. (And if using an external hard drive, I would make sure to keep a copy in a abnk safety deposit box in case of catastrophy in the home.)
                                    >
                                    > Thanks!
                                    >
                                    > -Christine

                                  • Susan B. Farmer
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Feb 15, 2007
                                      Quoting Christine Cunningham <photoshadows@...>:

                                      > I've seen many mentions of storing things via CDs or DVDs, but does
                                      > anyone have much experience with external hard drives? If so, what
                                      > are everyone's thoughts on this way of storing photos and documents.
                                      > (And if using an external hard drive, I would make sure to keep a
                                      > copy in a abnk safety deposit box in case of catastrophy in the home.)

                                      Hi. My name is Paranoid, what's yours? :-)

                                      I have copies on my laptop, my web server, my external hard drive, the
                                      originals are on CDs/DVDs (and new ones get burned periodically), I
                                      have paper copies, and my negatives are in a safe deposit box.

                                      People laughed at me when I was writing my thesis (and the
                                      dissertation is the same way). I have a paper copy, digital copies
                                      are on 3 different computers, 2 servers, an external hard drive, and
                                      one (or more) zip disks.

                                      Computers and digital media are your friends. They break. Be prepared.

                                      susan
                                      -----
                                      Susan Farmer
                                      sfarmer@...
                                      University of Tennessee
                                    • ngchesnutt@aol.com
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Feb 15, 2007
                                        Smart girl - Christin,

                                        I have a friend who had her dissertation on her laptop and her home was broken into and the laptop stolen. It was her only copy. She had to start over from notes.

                                        I keep my negatives in one house and CDs made from them at another place. Also have them on my computer and a back up external hard drive. Yes, I am paranoid!

                                        Message 19 of 26 , Feb 15, 2007
                                          Quoting ngchesnutt@...:

                                          > Smart girl - Christin,
                                          >
                                          > I have a friend who had her dissertation on her laptop and her home
                                          > was broken into and the laptop stolen. It was her only copy. She
                                          > had to start over from notes.

                                          *hangs head* I can't imagine anybody that clueless -- well, yeah, I
                                          can; but I'd prefer not to. At least one copy is always on my person
                                          -- and generally 2 copies -- be it a paper copy or a disk.

                                          susan

                                          > Computers and digital media are your friends. They break. Be prepared.

                                          -----
                                          Susan Farmer
                                          sfarmer@...
                                          University of Tennessee
                                        • Garden Gnome
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Feb 15, 2007
                                            No, this is not being paranoid! Honestly I have an awful lot of time and money invested in my genealogy research. Everything is digitalized and the originals including paper format of family sheets are in a fire proof, water proof safe. The digital images and ged.coms are kept on CDs at home and two flash drives, one store in a safety deposit box at the bank and one stored in another location. I also have a copy of my current ged.com on both laptops, our home computer, and office computer. I will likely have the kids put a copy on their computers just in case. I do back-ups weekly wether or not I worked on the file that week or not hence the two flash drives as I update on Thursdays and my husband does the flash drive switch on Fridays. When I'm working on the file, I do back-up at the end of each session.

                                            This represents almost 25 years of genealogy data and I'm going to do everything I can to protect it. Flash drives are cheap going for almost the cost of one marriage certificate anymore. BTW, I did the thesis thing so can totally relate. I had so many back-up copies of that it was almost pathetic but if you consider losing it, that would have been a lot worse! I can recall a collegue who left his laptop in his vehicle in a briefcase with the only copy of his thesis. His vehicle was burgularized and he lost everything. It never was returned and he essentially had to start all over again. The worst was not only did he lose the actual thesis he lost his data as well. You would think anyone at that level would think to do several back-ups!

                                            Garden Gnome in Ontario, Canada Zone 6A
                                            Come wander through my blogs:
                                            Yahoo: http://ca.360.yahoo.com/sfg.oamc
                                            Blogger: http://beta.blogger.com/profile/07560748179792613782 (scroll down)