Repair of old photo

  • cdpierson
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 21, 2006
      Have an apparent celluloid or plastic-like, hand colored photo that
      contains a picture of my grandmother and a sister. Estimating their
      age in the photo, would guess the date at c1900.

      Image mounted on metal that has been bent concave with respect to the
      image unfortunately (not creased. The image is like a floral frame
      and it has been hand colored ("frame" at least some of the dresses).

      Celluloid is torn away from the metal on 2 sides. How can I
      straighten the metal backing (has a turned edge like a tin can) and
      how or who can re-attach the celluloid to the tin? The original
      adhesive appears black, but that may be age.

      If I can completely remove the image from the metal, I can easily
      straighten the backing, but don't want to damage the celluloid. Then
      to reattach, what kind of adhesive, if any, would be safe? Or should I
      be looking for a pro? If so, who? Not much luck in my metro area.

      Any help would be much appreciated.